PDA

View Full Version : Solenta

dynamite dean
11th May 2002, 14:21
I have sent solenta some junk mail, I think you call it a CV!

Anyhow, anyone tell us if they are, will they, ever will , have been .......at all.....hiring?!

Cheers Dynamite:cool:

Skaz
11th May 2002, 17:23
Forget Solenta, friend of mine went on leave, happy in the knowledge that he is on the very next ATR course. Arrive home on sunday, moday morning gets a phone call;"thanks for coming, youre fired"

end of story

The Negotiator
14th May 2002, 15:56
Last I heard from my West African colleagues is that he was not fired by paid a full 3 month retrenchment package and that his requiement to go on the ATR's was to have an ATP. Cannot imagine why!!

DHL restructuring of routes in West Africa resulted in too many crew and often its DHL who tell Solenta what to do, being an affiliated company.

skywalka
29th May 2002, 14:35
Hi Negotiator
You always sound so Solenta positive, management maybe? Andrew maybe?
Tell me was that the $2500 (on contract) salary or the $500 basic salary?
If the latter then its a bit poor.
Dont you think?

The Bikini
30th May 2002, 02:21
You might be right, Skywalka! The Negotiator seems pretty well connected and wayyy too positive to be an employee!
The man you mention has just been re-alienating some employees with his heavy-handed, tight-fisted, damn-you-all 'management' techniques, I hear. bravo! woop woop!

They should open a brothel, after all they are in the business of screwing people! The employees ( they're not just pilots - they're employees - people with lives) get screwed at every turn!

Contracts get changed as and when management decides, they constantly screw employees with pay and fire them at will when they are no longer required ($1500 and cheers, big deal). They provide substandard accomodation whist on contract and during local day stops, with pilots sharing rooms to cut costs. S&T's are now paid in arrears rather than advance, obviously the interest receivable is more attractive than employee loyalty! More firing to come in September when an ATR is scheduled to come on line JNB-HRE.

They drop business partners at will, break contracts left, right and centre...some legal action has already been taken and I believe an out of court settlement has been arrived at in the case of one employee who was fired. In most cases they prey on young low-time pilots (read : broke) who cannot afford the cost of litigation, which is a pity.

Their maintenance operation leaves a lot to be desired too, apparently.

Things might improve though, because going by management track record and decisions taken to date, they should be out of business by this time next year.

masseygrad
30th May 2002, 18:46
Just curious...

Is there any point in sending Solenta a physical CV? Or should it only be done via their on-line CV submission means?

Thanks.

maxrated
30th May 2002, 20:04
Masseygrad.
Why would you want to send a CV to them ? They might actually employ you in which case shooting yourself in the foot would be less painfull, more stressfree and give you greater peace of mind than many of their own pilots have had in a long while, unless of course you happen to be a freemason, in which case even the most violently dysfunctuional individuals, loftiest asperations to lower middle management will progress in leaps and bounds...

Squall-hog
31st May 2002, 22:33
Well, as for Solenta it seems like the saying "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutly" rings true. To give Solenta a fair chance I guess they have given some young guys still wet under the wings some great opportunitys, flyings turbines and relatively good pay considering their experience, but thats where it stops!!

Any aspiring pilot searching for a job in the SA commercial aviation market will by now know the Solenta must have one of the worst reputations ( if not the worst!!!) when it comes to the way they treat their pilots. If you don't believe it just ask one of them. I heard they stack their pilots in the cheapest semi decent accomodation they can find in Africa, sometimes two to a room for three months at a time, then I heard they don't pay S&T to them and then to top it all rumor has it no fuel has been paid to supply their cars so they can get around. No worries for a Solenta pilot they will gladly sleep in bunk beds and ride donkeys to work so that the MD will never have the displeasure of having to resign from the wine club and play only 4 rounds of golf a week at an up and coming golf estate.

With regards to the ATR courses well it must be confusion all round because as far as can be gathered the requirements for the ATR course seem to changing daily so much so that I am sure that management does not know what the hell an ATR is. I believe they have hired overseas pilots with as little as 350 hours to fly there deliteful ATR's but then tell their own employees that they need ATP, mountains of multi engine turbine time, and all sorts of other ridiculous qualifications to become co-pilot on the aircraft. Of course these requirements are known to miraculously disappear in certain cases.

I have seen how these poor pilots operate up there, remember that at the end of the day your pilots are your bread and butter, they are the ones flying semi servicable aircraft through some of the most trying flyings conditions in the world, all so that Solenta can make money and if it was not for the dedication these pilots Solenta would not be where it is today.

So Mr Negotiator ( and any other relevant aviation management!), why don't you stop firing ( or retrenching as you call it!) your poor pilots just so you can make an extra dollar and begin to see you employees as assets, give the local (SA) chaps a chance to move in there careers, maybe they aren't the most qualified in the industry but they are certainly not going anywhere if you don't help them. I am sure that it may cost you money but I bet you some of the results will surprise you and the money you have spent on your crew will result in greater productivity and general increase in the wellbeing of your company.

PS- NO EMPIRE HAS EVER BEEN BUILT ON UNHAPPY PEOPLE!!!

skottie
1st Jun 2002, 08:27
Well,how better to know the real story than from a happy employee of Solenta.Firstly we DO get snt's at the end of each month.I am in one of the bases in west africa and our house where we stay is very very nice,we have a pool and all stay in our own rooms with air con. and live realy well,our car has never ran out of petrol and there is always money in our house kitty.If I have any problems back at head office,there staff is always willing to help and sort it out!

I have been with Solenta for almost a year and have never shared a room with other pilot's and only have good thing's to report about them.Guess the people who say bad thing's about Solenta don't have job's and get pleasure from dreaming up stories about them,and if your information comes from a presant or past employee,make sure they talking the truth....so now you have it from me....Solenta rules!

masseygrad
1st Jun 2002, 09:57
Skottie,

Would you be prepared to divulge the flight experience you had when you got taken on by Solenta? Also, how you applied, i.e. on-line or by other means?

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude.

flyguysa
3rd Jun 2002, 11:16
Well, I see Solenta has been shot down in flames! Rightly so for a few of the bad decesions management has made. I am employed by Solenta, not a happy employee, but grateful that I have a job. I do not agree with the foreign Pilots issue and if I had it my way, they would be retrenched and local Pilots given the work. At least I get paid on time and when it's time for my leave, I am not stranded in the field. I am grateful to Solenta for giving me the oppurtunity to advance my Aviation career, I know of worse Contract Companies. I just hope that management sees the errors they make and the effects theses errors have, a lot of good can be said about them too, they are all approachable, and are improvig their management techniques daily. As for accomadation, it differs from base to base, where I am at the moment, we live in a palace. All I hope is that Pilots who are employed after me will see an improved company as 'm sure it will in time.

exjet
4th Jun 2002, 00:11
I think the point is that these are validated pilots operating on a South African AOC when rated SA pilots could could do the job adequately.

B Sousa
4th Jun 2002, 00:47
Im glad to see its not just us in the US who become territorial when it comes to jobs. There is another thread on Rotorheads with the same message. I should think though if I were a South African and flying in countries other than South Africa, I wouldnt shout to loud. It seems to me some who are whining have forgotten where the border is located....
Are there that many experienced SA Pilots unemployed or is this about the abundance of those just getting their feet wet.....

canileb
4th Jun 2002, 12:09
flyguysa,

I don't hear any complaints when South African pilots fly for Cathay or Quantas. Don't your realize that borders don't mean a thing to companies looking for skill and talent?

Drop that xenophobic attitude and get on with it!

flyguysa
4th Jun 2002, 13:21
My point was obviously not as clear as I wanted it to be, look at the requirements that Cathay and Quantas set for employment. There are Foreign Pilots flying ATR's with less than 1000 Hours TOTAL time when there are South African Pilots who have been overlooked that more than fulfil the minimum reuirements for the ATR pool. Does this happen in the rest of the world too? My attitude is NOT xenophobic but LOYAL to my country and it's Pilots. Yes, we fly in foreign countries but operate South African aircraft on a South African AOC. Skill and talent count, so with a Comm, 350 hours and an ATR rating, would I get an ATR job on an ATR registered in your country?? I don't think so.................

GUSTO
4th Jun 2002, 15:57
flyguysa ,

Like other people said as a South African Passport holder you are yourself a foreigner . Contract work is available to anybody as far as I know and the fact that the planes are register in SA does not mean that other pilots with other licences can not fly them.

I don't understand why you are complaining because talking about SA guys workings abroad , you will be surprise how many are not happy to be there ( specially West African countries ) , and for sure you will be one of them , so please stay home!

Gusto

dynamite dean
4th Jun 2002, 18:41
Anyway folks nice discussion anyone care to answer my question!!!!!!:D

canileb
5th Jun 2002, 06:59
flyguysa:

ok, so is the foreign pilot to blame if he is hired?
Solenta should provide some info to their pilots re. their hiring requirements but I'll tell you this: a pilot (foreign or non-foreign) does not ask or care whether other worthy candidates were turned down for the job when he accepts one...

Cheers,

FLEXPWR
6th Jun 2002, 11:20
flyguysa:

If I understand your way of thinking, because it is a South African AOC, although operating outside the borders of South Africa, all pilots should be SA nationals? So what about a foreign company that would be operating inside SA with a foreign AOC...no SA pilots then employed... I don't think you would find this fair either!

Vref + 10
10th Jun 2002, 19:06
:confused: Has this site changed from the Rossair bashing of days of old ? It seems that the name has changed but the whinges not. One should look at who the owners are, they are the same two who ran/flew for Rossair in Angola, Moz and else where. So do you honestly think things will change ? It should be called Schlenter Airways, just to remind all who have come in contact with the management in business deals and contracts.

Gunship
12th Jun 2002, 13:28
Guys, guys ....

I know some of the management and I have spoken to a lot of the pilots when they come past in the Wild West ......

My question : Is it REALLY so bad ? or is complaining becoming a local habit in Africa ?

Just asking on a cold winter afternoon in the Cape after Bafana's loss (and exit with Argentine and France ) ;)

Engineer
12th Jun 2002, 16:47
Is it REALLY so bad ?

FO has to pay for type rating, then paid 500USD/month + 15USD/day per diem. About 900USD/month with three months on one month off. On the month off are you paid a retainer.

Would rate that as good as flying Ghana Airways. Ah! Africa don't you just love the place :D :D :D

Gunship
12th Jun 2002, 18:40
So Engineer is it just about $$ ??

The way I see it (and I get the same idea when I looked at Solenta's web address ) is that they "make" pilots and that they are prepared to take a youngster and boot him into a 'Van into deep Africa for a few $ that he can get hours ... and surely that is what most of you want is that not true ?? :o

You WANT hours or do you wanna tell me a "youngster" with 200 hours and a comm has got other ambition than a hard - on, beer in the hand, uhmmmm ok Gunship relax now ... relax ... :p

Uhmmm is it not true that at that stage you JUST WANT HOURS .. well then I must come up for Solenta and say well done guys ... you employ guys that you know is going to leave soon .... not many of them around ! I guarantee you that ! :rolleyes:

Ok I am off to bed .. bed time story finsihed for now ... good night !

"Uncle (Oom) Gunship

Engineer
12th Jun 2002, 18:56
Same can be said for the captains then keep them hungary same basic with 50USD per day more. Or are these captain the guys with 400hrs a permanent hard on and a fistful of beer.....stop don't get carried away Engineer.

Is it an african ideology exploit the vunerable and if they dont like it tough always some one to replace them. But I suppose your right it not about money this company must be operating for charity no profit :p :p

End of my eveningtide tale off to catch the Ghana Airways flight might be on time ;)

Gunship
12th Jun 2002, 19:19
Guys and the odd girl and chirrpppyyy Engineer ;)

I just wish to bring the following stats to you re this post :

Dinamite Dean's question has still not been answered. If you look at all the NEGATIVE postings on this thread you will learn that there are 5 NEGATIVE's of which ONE has the grand total of 5 posts and the others one or two. That makes an average of 2 posts per member and the average joining date is May 2002 .... guys is this a set-up to stab a company in the back or what ?

3 of the posts are quite positive and they are definately employees of the company ... why are they more positive than you "new PPRUNERS" ..

Advice from Uncle Gunship ... stop stabbing and get a real job !

I still stick to my guns .... uhmm Gunship you are on leave ... put it away ! On paper (web site Engineer) :p ... I can not agree more with Bruce, Fred and the manne that they know you are going to leave and you are just looking for hours and then you make a sudden departure .... sorry guys I would have had a simmilar "employment contract"

Vat hom flaffie ... Nighty night .... really time for bed now and a nice mampoer and coke before snoozing on my Argus (to improve the spelling boet) ...

4granted
12th Jun 2002, 19:48
Good night Gunship..
"Drukit in die rooi!!!"
Lekka Tassies daar hugh? Het jy my e pos gekry?
groeta
4g:cool:

Gunship
12th Jun 2002, 20:04
4g,

I have send you an answer from the laptop to your PPRUNE account. It's got a few Tassie's stains on and will re-start in the morning and make sure ... it got to you ....

In the mean time ... nagsę vir eers !
zzzzzzzzzzzzz the Mampoer and Coke is working ....

4granted
13th Jun 2002, 10:06
More Gunship
Hoe gaan dit met die Tass Kop?
No e mail as yet better to use my bluewin .ch mail....
later..
4g

bushjock
22nd Jun 2002, 10:49
Hey guys,

A couple of observasions.

Seems like this forum is designed to take a stab at solenta - quite right gunship!! I think that solenta has happy pilots and not so happy pilots. Any of you that think that will ever change is sadly mistaken. I'm sure there are a lot of problems, but where do you go and not have any - KAS, Rossair, airlink, sax .... They are all the same, and you will will face the same sh*t at any one of these companies!

As for foreign pilots, I don't understand!! We are operating in countries that are not our own, but is that not because there is a lack of skill in those countries? The company is after all South African, so are the aircraft! Therefore I believe SA pilots should get first debs .....! :rolleyes: The reason Cathy takes foreigners is because they dont have their own!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunship I agree with most of what you have to say, but as far as building hours and leaving....... I don't think too many pilots aspire to spending their entire careers staying in the A** end of Africa!!!!

With most of the South African airline industrie retrenching, I think those of us with reasonably stable jobs should take a step back, stop bitching and get on with it!!!!

NukeFlyer
22nd Jun 2002, 12:01
Hey Chaps,

Just to fill you in on some of the things Solenta are and not are!

1st. To get a job, you have to be young and full of cumm and ready to blow the main man

2. To stick around long enough you have to brown nose with constant brown eyeing!

3. Solenta are under investigation and the CAA seem to be very interested in their legal operating procedures.

4. Question? Do they have their own AOC, maybe not

5. Its a great way to pick up hours & ass, but dont expect to be employed by some of the bigger outfits as solenta now has a sordid reputation.

6. Can I also remind most of you, that pilots do not in general stick together and so cause their own problems, for instance when it comes to litigation.

7. Well, enough food for thought, no pun intended

N

flyguysa
22nd Jun 2002, 14:25
NukeFlyer,

Could your's be a case of sour grapes??? I did not have to brown nose anyone for a job, I simply sent a CV . I am not young, I have been in this game a while and am on my thrid tour for Solenta. As far as the investigation, I have no idea about that, I am sure the the company that has contracted them would not allow this to happen in the first place. Litigations, well, that's a touchy subject, if this was your only job in these troublesome times, what would you do?? I hope that you can justify what you say and that you are not just relying on "hear-say", there is a lot of potential in the Pilots that fly for Solenta, don't spoil it out there for us, it might just come around to you twofold!

NukeFlyer
22nd Jun 2002, 21:01
Hi FlyGuysa

Unfortunately, a few guys have been burned, and I respect you for spending a few tours up in Africa, with them.

You obviously got in early with them and that makes a big difference, compared with guys trying to get in now. Good luck as more retrenchement takes place.

I respect anybody who does his job and helps anybody out, and I would go out of my way to help that person.

But when it comes to messing around pilots, operational procedures not by the book and in general caos, just to make that extra little buck for the purposes of mgt. enjoyment and pilot exploitation, I have no respect for those people and company who take that advantage.

Pilot Exploitation in SA is rife as there are no governing standards/bodies for pilots in commercial operations other than airlines!

I read your thread on Pelican Air, I too hope for good in the future, but the future for aviation lies in the hands of our new upcoming fleet of young guys willing to make a difference, and make a difference that counts to everybody.

The question is, has anybody got any balls to stand up to various people and institutions to warrent change, and not selfishly think about their no. of hours they need to build and willing to do almost anything to get them?

But hey, it will always remain the same! As one Senior Emirates Training Captain said to me; At the end of the day, most pilots will never stick together.

Take care, gotta fly

N

bushjock
22nd Jun 2002, 23:15
Nukeflyer,

Again I sit here and shake my head!!! Sending a CV does not entitle you to a job, it is an application not so? So if there is no need for a pilot no amount of brown nosing will get you hired!! The retrenchments that Solenta had was very unfortunate and I had mates that were involved. Again it was not a case of being nasty. Situation is that there are now ATR's that have replaced some of the van's, and there was an exess of crew - IT HAPPENS MATE!!! As for the AOC, as an owner/operattor as you claim to be, you should know that it is not all that unussual for a contract companny to use another existing operators certificate!!

As far as operating proceedures go I can assure you that Solenta tries to maintain a professional operation. Any deviation from good safe proceedures will be from the concerned pilot, not the managment!! I have never witnessed this personally. YOU SEEM TO KNOW BETTER!!

As for hiring, I'm not sure what you are talking about!! There has been some movement from Solenta to other operators recently. Not an awfull lot, but I don't think there is too much out there at the moment pal!!

You seem to preach "sticking together"?? What are you on about mate? You seem like an extraordanary negetave person. Maybe have some issues :D Hope you can get over them.

dynamite dean
24th Jun 2002, 18:38
People that are pulling the company down (even though I still havn't had an unbiased reply) seem to me they should loosen there testicles a little and relax. I grew up where if you had owt bad to say you didn't say owt.

Anyhow flyguysa or gunship if you would e mail me on the original thread I would be greatful any tips, have a frozen ATPL am keen to get on remaining clear of politics.:cool:

Squall-hog
30th Jun 2002, 09:33
Hey Dynamite dean, shame been trying to find out if Solenta are hiring, well first I reckon drop them a CV on the web page, think it's Solenta.com or something like that. Secondly give the chief pilot a call and speak to him. I am sure that they might need crew in the near future, I believe there have been some resignations recently. I see they are looking for crew on the ATR's again, well this baffles me they seem to be up to there usual nonsense again why don't they use there current employees to fly the aircraft I am sure that there are more than sufficient dedicated and talented pilots within there company to fly their ATR's, hell if they can make exceptions for there previous crew hired/trained for the ATR why can't they do it now??? I am sure this will make there poor employees happier and it will avoid the hassle of further retrenchments and missery.

But with all this Solenta bashing going on are you sure you want to work there, maybe some of the complaints are exaggerated but where there is smoke there is fire! Hell I been in the industry a good few years and things in aviation seem to be recovering so maybe waiting a few months may be to you advantage. One bad decision could really set back your career. Good luck!!:cool:

masseygrad
2nd Jul 2002, 15:50
Fellow Solenta aspirants and other friends,

It appears to me that the on-line application form for Solenta has recently been removed from their website.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Depressing.

Petes Dragon
3rd Jul 2002, 04:31
Guys,

This is getting really boring, as most of you do not have the foggiest idea of what is really going on at Solenta.

So, either make the effort to find out what the real position is, by either speaking to some of the pilots (all of whom might not be 100% happy, but then what pilot is...) or by going to look for yourself.

From my knowledge, companies (yes, believe it or not even SAA) put certain standards in place when recruiting personnel for specific types - why should Solenta be different. If it does not have suitably quilified pilots in its current pilot pool, most of whom are Comm and Turbine rated, but no ME - should it stop operating the ATR? Why do the pilots (most of who seem to be out of a job at the moment - wonder why) that complain about not being considered for the ATR, not make the effort to get the correct qualification, such as a ME rating

No, I am not covering for any problems (which I am sure do exist at Solenta, as in any other company), but lets be fair about this and try and get ALL the facts before nailing any organisation to the wall.

Its easy to drag anybody's or any company's name through the mud on a forum such as this, because you are "untouchable" and can remain anonynous.

But, then...no pilot is ever satisfied, unless he or she is bitching and moaning about some issue or another...and unfortunately, this is someting that will never change is our industry.

Gunship
3rd Jul 2002, 06:11
WHAT WAS THE QUESTION AGAIN ?

Lo Dynamite Dean,

I applied online for my son when it was still working and asked Bruce Johnstone about 2 months ago and they had no vacancies then. Nobody replied to my fake :p (jokingly application) so I am unsure how there set-up works and if it still works.

Can not agree more than Petes Dragon ....:rolleyes:

lizzard
3rd Jul 2002, 23:13
THE POSITVE SIDE:

The only company thats going to give you a job with a straight comm, 200tt.

The aircraft (caravans, not so sure about the ATR's) are in better shape than most light aircraft flying around SA.

Living conditions in are great, pool, car to use, airconn, 24 hours internett. washing done for you, rent paid, DSTV
Lots of hours.

A months holiday every 4th month.

Enough time to study for ATPL and ability to save for whatever you fancy.
A chance to meet some really good people who are living and working with you.

They always pay you, mmmmm...eventually,

An opportunity to learn to speak French.

You don't have to sit in rush hour traffic on your way to and from work.

THE OTHER SIDE.

You will need to fork out the money for conversion and then somehow find the cash for 3 months living expense, since S&T's don't get paid before you go on contract.

Having to live with the fact that you can never really plan ahead, don't put down that deposit for the week in the Lodge of your dreams with your girl, because you might just be called up the night before you find yourself ferrying an aircraft to some godforsaken place.

Live without the luxuries that you take for granted.

Having to live, work, and spend all your free time with some person you wouldn't speak to if you had a choice, but since you can't excacly go out and chat up some interesting looking people at the local hangout, because all you;ll get is a startled, "Pardon, comme vous ditte?" (no, it does not mean, would you like to......)
You often don't have a choice, but think about it, you could be serving drinks for about a 5th of the pay, and then you still never be able to say, I've been to Lome,...where the@#$ is Lome?"

Small aircraft doesn't like beeeeg thunderstorms. at night, with very dodgy alternate. and only one engine, even if it is a PT6A.

Its all what you make of it. But if you don't like it, you still have the choice to leave.....no strings attached.

Gunship
4th Jul 2002, 10:36
If you do not like what lizzard has summarized .. do not join them as I would think that is a great summary - the way I would see it to be - like a "bush tour" as we called it - in the good old days of SWA and Angola with the reall SAAF! :rolleyes:

Petes Dragon
6th Jul 2002, 03:58
Gunship,

I like your thinking...

contraxdog
6th Jul 2002, 05:10
Well put lizzard,

All you have to remember there is us and them, and as long as you dont confuse that line drawn, it still beats working for a living, or what hey gunnie?

ye olde contraxdog

masseygrad
6th Jul 2002, 09:21
... Solenta's on-line CV submitter back in service.

Petes Dragon, just meant that, as a pilot with limited experience and seeking a first job, I found it depressing that, apparently, Solenta had ceased to accept CVs. The negatives I've heard certainly havn't put me off.

Gunship
6th Jul 2002, 20:04
Hey boys and gal's even I got an answer back from Solenta ! (Just to double check ...) :eek:

" Dear XXXXXX:cool:

Thank You for submitting your C.V to us.
We will be looking at all the C.V's submitted to us next week and will
be in contact with you for any further developments

Kind Regards
Verna
Solenta Aviation

2keys
2nd Oct 2002, 21:43
Some people do not know a good thing when they see it.

Gerund
3rd Oct 2002, 04:42
Some people see a silk purse in a sow's ear.

marpoo
4th Oct 2002, 01:51
hi all,
as a newcomer i would like to know why future employees would look unfavourably at someone who has worked at solenta. i thought that the employer would only be looking at the amount and type of hours. i admit that i like the look of solenta, dispite the amount of crap being thrown at them, however there is turbine time on offer. please inform why it would look bad on my resume.

matt

Mobotu
4th Oct 2002, 07:52
All for one and one for all!

I am going out on a limb here and blaming all the pilots past and present who accepted working for this company under these conditions for the problems they now face.

Unfortunately there is NO pilots union for charter and contract pilots flying in Africa and and such it has been to the pilots to accept/reject the salaries/conditions.

IF and I say IF from the very start the pilots would have refused to work for such little remuneration and demanded at least $1500 C/P and $2500 CD then I think there would not be as much anomossity towards those who took the 'hour building' route to an airline career.

As to why certain companies refuse to hire ex-Solenta pilots - I don't think this has anything to do with any imagined lack of professionalism as these guys really can fly, but I think rather a case of sour grapes from the other companies who would love the DHL contract but simply cannot offer such low rates and still pay reasonable salaries.

There are always going to be companies which offer fantastic conditions in order to attract the 'Best of the Best' and there will be others who offer next to nothing simply for the experience. I myself have worked for both and in the end it comes down to what value you place upon yourself!

So to all those who have, are or hoping to work for companies like Solenta ask yourself -

How much am I worth????????? :rolleyes:

4HolerPoler
4th Oct 2002, 10:23
Great post Mobotu. As always.

4HP

Petes Dragon
4th Oct 2002, 12:38
Darrel,

Just a couple of comments about your tirade....

1. How is it that various Solenta pilots (direct from the C208 pool no less) have been taken by SAA, got invitations for interviews at Cathay, are now flying at MK, etc. etc?

2. How do you explain that very reputable airlines are sending Solenta their cadets?

3. How do you explain that the ATDF (Aviation Training and Development Foundation) has sent its cadets to Solenta?

If you have a problem with the company, sue them, don't run them down in public, where you know they will not lower themselves to your level and respond.

And oh yes, from an "ex military pilot", at least we had to undergo language tests while we in the military and as such we take pride in our ability to spell. Next time use a spell checker.

The SAAF pilots rule!

maxrated
4th Oct 2002, 17:22
I always find it refreshing to find a company with worse problems than my own. Even though their pilots get paid on time, more often than us.

Hey Pete,

What you're suggesting is that it's ok to be screwed over and sworn at by senior management as long as your company is involved with a cadett program from a major airline ??

Moving on, I understand that one of the Solenta guys that was retrenched took the company to the CCMA who found in favour of the pilot , as the retrenchment process was so severly flawed in terms of the SA labour law.
Solenta had to give him his job back and he negotiated an even better package and structure for himself than what he was retrenched with.

There is justice in the world after all !!

Regarding the SAAF / Civvie pilot "debate", I have flown with Ex SAAF and civvie pilots who were equally as inept as each other, conversely some of the greatest guys I fly with are both Civvie and SAAF trained.

A person can be an idiot or a really great chap, irrespective of where he started his flying career.

Just a few thoughts, take it leave it................

4HolerPoler
5th Oct 2002, 10:52
You're a bitter guy Darryl and make some pretty controversial accusations. For a two-post wonder you are a little OTT.

Chill out or get back to your building site.

4HP

4HolerPoler
6th Oct 2002, 07:56
Thanks Darryl - it's not easy.

You don't say why you left - was it your call or theirs?

If you're interested in getting back into the industry keep your licence current; I know it's expensive but you've invested so much already. You know better than I do but I'd be real surprised if there is a stigma attached to having worked for Solenta. As long as you've not got any skeletons in your cupboard there's every chance you'll get another chance.

Prove them wrong Darryl - go get a better job & one day when you're sitting doing .82 at 370 you be the judge as to who the winner was.

Stay with your dream - it's achievable.

4HP

Squall-hog
6th Oct 2002, 12:25
Well, Solenta is up an the bashing list all over again!!! I guess this speaks for itself about the state of the morale in the company and the general well being of those who have to work there. In my years of aviation experience let me tell you a few things that I have learnt.

1. Pilots will never stand together!!!, because there will always be some idiot who thinks that he can kiss ass with management by nailing his buddies.

2. When it comes to money or peoples lives and careers with management, money wins hands down every time. ( thats not right though!! )

3. Regarding ex SAAF pilots versus's civies, well being an ex SAAF pilot myself I have seen the standard that the SAAF can train there pilots to, but after flying with civie guys ( and now girls) I tell there are some extremely talented and professional civie trained pilots out there who have taught me a thing or two. I tell you what makes a good pilot, not so much his or her background but what they do with their skills they have and how they use these skills to improve themselves. Let me tell you one truth, bad attitude has killed more pilots then bad flying skills.

4. Regarding the new cadet scheme that Solenta is initiating, of which there are now quiet a few programmes in place around SA, I am sure that knowing managent at Solenta and what I have read and heard about them, this programme is being instituted for one reason only, POLITICS!!. I am pretty sure that they are not doing it out of the love for the community and goodness of there hearts. Hell a cadet scheme always looks good for window dressing especially in SA, can you imagine the good will they will receive from goverment, CAA, ALPA, etc, etc ,etc. (NB!! tHIS IS NOT A POLITICAL STATEMENT ABOUT THE MERITS OF CADET, AFFRIMATIVE ACTION SCHEMES ETC!!!)

5. My flying carreer has also had its ups and downs, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose but you will eventually get there in the end especially if you have a vision of where you want to be. Those of you though who screw you fellow pilots beware this industry is small and the person you screw, laugh at, or shoot down will proberbly in the future be your Captain, Chief pilot or be on or know some one on the interview board of an airline you want to work for, seen it happen in the past I am sure it will happen in the future.

6. Seeing is believing, especially in aviation, too many people with big mouths and no brains in this industry ( a lot of these people tend to be management types).

Well good luck to all of you out there, take the advice to heart and just remember your come first in your life, not management, jobs or money.

:D

TurbineTank
7th Oct 2002, 00:19
Howzit chaps!
Well the guns are blazzin...
Daryll,You either have huge balls or plain stupidity to shoot down Solenta like this openly,along with the ex-Mil chaps. I have worked with for Solenta for a very long time and may just feel more anguished than you with the company but your accusations are a bit odd.

How can you blame one company for your luckless applications elsewhere.I was in the field when you were there and let me tell you,You were not Mr.Popular.You were not making a lot of friends with your bickering,perhaps this is what the applying companys have heard???? Perhaps it was you and not the company giving out the bad reputation.If its true and when I am out trying to get work and am shot down for being an ex-Solentie the I will apologise but I doubt it will come to that.
As for the Ex-Mil story...Well yes there is a biased feeling towards all the Ex-Mil pilots perhaps as much of Solenta management is Ex-Mil.As a Civie Pilot myself,I don't particularly like it but hey it will never change.What I can say is there have been a few prev Solenta employees (ex-mil)who no longer are with Solenta but they were not given red carpet treatment hence their departure,So one can not assume Ex-Mil pilots are favoured by management.Those pilots are some of the best pilots I ever flew with and the CRM and flying skills was there ( dont get confused with CRM and buddy buddy relationships).This is where management did lose out and lose "the operators".Their loss.

As for this cadet story-Oh boy! I see a repeat of Rossair,With Good pilots who wait their time in the company for movement up the ladder only to be overtaken by some rookie with a few sponsered dollars in the pocket:mad:

There is alot of resentment towards Management,And always will with every company(how many times you will read that on PPRUNE).You say other Solenta pilots should speak up well look at this topic for numbers of reply.I am not gonna praise Solenta on this reply nor shoot them down.Perhaps later....but leave it to us who really can shoot them down with valid ammo.
No bird deserves to have his wings clipped no matter how bad the bird is,So put the bricks away and keep your aviation dream alive.As a true pilot would not be put back by this.

Anyway.I am off now to see if Britney Spears needs a new personal pilot!:D

Petes Dragon
7th Oct 2002, 09:38
Darryll,

Wondered whether you would pick it up.... Isn't it great to see that nobody is perfect.

One question though if you do not mind.... Why did you as SIC not report the drunk PIC's on any one of the "many occasions" that you had the misfortune of flying with them? Not only did the drunk PIC's commit an offence, but you did too, by allowing that flight to take place. Just a thought....

Squall-hog,

I think you pretty much nailed it on the head. Pilots (in any organisation) should stand together and ensure that they operate to the same standards and rules. It unfortunately requires only one pilot that thies to make a point, to upset that apple cart.

Whether you are right about Solenta and politics, only time will tell, but I think any company offered such an opportunity will jump at it (Rossair and SAA cadets is an example).

And yes, the most important person on any flight, is me. If I percieve any threat to my wellbeing on a flight, I'll decline or try to make sure that the flight goes out in such a way that I am happy.

Maxrated,

No not at all, the point I was trying to make, is that no company (not even Solenta) can be all bad, and that there might just be some positive points in such a company. This belief is borne out by speaking to some of the pilots. Although they are not perfectly happy, they seem more happy than unhappy, if that makes any sense. Must say though, I have never met a pilot that was happy all the time. A pilot that does not bitch, can only be dead...

I cannot comment on the CCMA rulings or any of the labour issues at Solenta, so I will not go down that path at all.

At least we also agree on one point - you get good pilots and you get bad pilots, be they SAAF trained or civvie trained. I have had the priviledge to have flown with some really great civvie pilots from whom I have learnt a lot, but then the opposite is also true and I have been scared sh*tless by some civvie pilots. Unfortunately this is one debate that will never lie down and will always be with us. After all, we have to share the same airspace, not so?

Turbine tank,

If you need a P2 for that Britney gig, let me know....

Skaz
27th Oct 2002, 21:54
skywalka, Bikini, I just got positive confirmation that The Negotiator is management, very high up management.

And for you SIR, the guy you fired had more twin turbine medium aircraft time than anyone else in the company, that includes YOU.
No ATP deemed necessary for FO on the ATR.
BUT, he is somebody who wont take your cr*p.......makes you think doesnt it?

JoeCo
9th Mar 2003, 12:18
So what's the latest at Solenta these days. There was more negative than positive posts, so I'm curious if those who were very positive are still in fact happy? Is Solenta looking by any chance for drivers? Plus, are they only running 208's? They have other a/c's listed but I only ever hear of talk from the 208 drivers. What do the other pilots think. Anyone with the facts, .....I'm listening.

Thanks,

Joe

Skaz
11th Mar 2003, 06:20
JoeCo, mate youre all over this website! ha, drop me a line via mail will you.

JoeCo
11th Mar 2003, 06:29
Yep. Haven't been on for a few now so I had lots of catching up to do!! Mail has been sent. ;) Cheers

lizzard
11th Mar 2003, 08:38
Hi Joe Co

I suppose the reason for not much news about Solenta is the fact that there is not much to bitch and moan about.

They pay on time in full, look after the pilots, maintenance is good if you consider the difficulty of getting parts in the middle of nowhere and dealing with the inevitable teething problems of expanding the fleet.

They also have been taking pilots directly from the van pool onto the twin otters and ATR's and using less 'outsiders' which was the reason why a lot of people were unhappy in the first place.

Most of the previously retrenched pilots have been offered a position again.

I think everyone gets gatvol sometimes, no matter where they are and what they're doing.. but on the whole, smiles allround.

cheers
:}

JoeCo
11th Mar 2003, 12:02
lizard,

All that said, however, they're not hiring, .....right??

FLEXPWR
11th Mar 2003, 15:24
Wow! It looks loke the stories are seen REALLY different from one individual to another..

Lots of drivers on the ATR fleet left because the company is treating them like SH*@!
Lots of guys enjoy the contract work, western africa's not that bad (except of course, when the coup starts.., like ABJ).
Pilot's happy? They just keep quiet their plans to get the hell outta here when time comes! The maintenance is not as beautiful as you describe, although the spanners are doing their best, they can't work without spares, maintenance planning(this is hopefully on the way to change now) and the management is too busy taking personal care of secretaries rather than spares?

Oh, and taking about money, yes it is true, they usually pay on time, but to what they think they ow!

:E

max6462
18th Sep 2004, 13:55
Hi guys!
What is it like to fly for Solenta? Say on 1900.
I mean roster, salary, benefits and stuff...
Thx for your insights.
cheers.

B Sousa
18th Sep 2004, 17:44
This thread is still dragging on, but they do have a nice website.
www.solenta.co.za

BUSHJEPPY
18th Sep 2004, 22:02
tks for the link to their nice website.

Funny to see that a C-208 can take 2138 kgs of payload, the Beech 1900C 2200 kgs and the Beech 1900D 1984 kgs. Two of them will be overloaded, while one is OK.....pls guess

Deserted Rat
19th Sep 2004, 17:22
What's the story with Solenta and Iraq now?
Are they taking away Naturelink's contract with AirServ?

dickyd737
16th Oct 2004, 21:10
Comair may be hiring again soon, maybe there is hope for you contract guys!