PDA

View Full Version : FAA written knowledge test/exam questions - good source?

steftn
3rd Dec 2013, 04:58
Hi,

I'm preparing for the FAA written knowledge test/exam (PPL Airplane).
Does anyone know a source where I can find all the FAA test questions?
Is there maybe an free online source where I can get all these questions?

I've found this site: Pilot Practice Page (http://www.exams4pilots.org/faatest.cgi)
but there are just a few questions...

Does anyone know a good (free) source where I can get ALL test questions?

Thank you very much for your help!

Dash8driver1312
3rd Dec 2013, 07:58
There are also places where you can food for free, drink for free, first job without any work on your part...

MarkerInbound
3rd Dec 2013, 19:38
First you have to learn that nothing in aviation is free.

While the FAA used to make a complete list of questions avaiable, they no longer do. There is a theory that it is better to know the subject matter than to just know that the answer is "42."

steftn
4th Dec 2013, 23:48
ok, thanks.

Are there books available which contains all the FAA questions?

MarkerInbound
5th Dec 2013, 16:29
No. Since the question lists are not available no one can claim to have "all the questions." There are books of the old questions. Most of the publishers inclued a note to tell them if you get a new question to let them know and they'll refund the cost of the book or discount your next book. So they tend to run 6 months or a year behind the FAA.

The FAA publishes a list of the documents that they use to make up the tests. And all of those docs are free to download.

AirRabbit
5th Dec 2013, 17:41
Hey Guys!

After poking around on this forum for as long as I have (...and, yes, I’m fully aware that others here were here long before me…) and having been in this business for as long as I have been (…and there may be some here who’ve been around somewhat longer, but if so, those folks and I probably have met one another at some bar down the street at one time or another when we mused about how to go about creating a new substance … which we called "dirt"!) … but in that time, particularly recently, I’ve begun to notice a slide downward toward finding and sharing gouges and answer sheets … even suggested trim and power settings for various approaches in simulators … all designed to “assist” a fellow would-be aviator along toward removing the “would-be” moniker.

The posts on this thread so far have been a warming of my often-cold heart! While I certainly understand the motivation to offer assistance and recommendations to those who come behind all us old F**ts, the far better way is to provide the kind of suggestions posted here. The business of instructors is to assist those who are seeking answers – and I applaud each instructor for the work they do – and providing quick solutions, or gouges, or cheat sheets is certainly NOT the way to improve this industry. Of course, I would say to those who are legitimately seeking information to make them a better pilot … whole-heartedly ... please, please, a long conversation with an instructor you know and trust is the very best thing you can do ... and do it often ... and THEN … take what that instructor says and compare it to what you’ve heard, what you’ve experienced, and if you’re still not sure, ask a fellow pilot who seems to have his “stuff” together. Hard work, careful attention, and practice (never enough practice) are truly the ONLY way to achieving the goals we all persue – and when we think we’ve arrived … THAT is the time to increase our situational awareness – airplanes have many ways to fool all of us – and when airplanes get into collusion with Mother Nature … they can throw all kinds of things our way in an attempt to make our day a bit more challenging.

Again guys ... good advice ... keep it up!!

keith williams
5th Dec 2013, 19:13
As time goes by and automation takes over more and more of the flying process, the need to learn and understand all the theory diminishes.

In ten or twenty years the occupants of aircraft cockpits will consist of a computer, a dog and one person.

The computer will do all the flying.

The dog will ensure that nobody interferes with the computer.

The person will feed the dog. The person cannot be cabin crew because the dog will not be prepared to eat the stuff that they feed to the passengers.

Just make sure that you are fully familiar with the intricacies of dog feeding and all will be well.

steftn
6th Dec 2013, 04:30
Hi,

Thank you for your answers.

Can anyone recommend these books:
Gleim Private Pilot FAA Knowledge Test 2013 Edition: Irvin N. Gleim, Garrett W. Gleim: 9781581942217: Amazon.com: Books

Private Pilot Test Prep 2013: Study & Prepare for Recreational and Private: Airplane, Helicopter, Gyroplane, Glider, Balloon, Airship, Powered ... FAA Knowledge Exams (Test Prep series): ASA Test Prep Board: 9781560279112: Amazon.com: Books

or does anyone even know better books for preparation?

Thanks, bye.

Gomrath
12th Dec 2013, 14:16
There is nothing wrong with those manuals but as has been said - focus on learning the subject matter rather than trying to learn answers.

You have to get through a quite detailed oral exam with the Examiner- he will soon pick up on what you don't know.

this is my username
14th Dec 2013, 07:37
I used the ASA Test Prep books as part of my preparation and found them very useful - they have a short section covering the topic followed by relevant questions.

Whilst it seems very popular to criticise the use of question banks, I have never taken a single academic exam where the use of past-papers wasn't an accepted part of the exam preparation. If you were to just learn the subjects without ever having looked at the types of questions to be asked even the best prepared would struggle. Personally I find that studying the material then answering questions is the most effective way of learning the topic.

As others have pointed out, under the FAA system if you don't know the subject then you will get caught out by the examiner during the oral test.