PDA

View Full Version : The future of UAV

NutLoose
2nd Dec 2013, 21:31
Fascinating concept, think there is a Military use?

Amazon Prime Air (http://www.amazon.com/b?ref_=tsm_1_tw_s_amzn_mx3eqp&node=8037720011)

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Dec 2013, 21:42
To deliver CAS's reading list to every RAF Officer?? ;)

Willard Whyte
2nd Dec 2013, 22:06
To deliver CAS's redundancy letter to every RAF Aircrew??

TomJoad
2nd Dec 2013, 22:34
That will never fly err so to speak:p

seafury45
2nd Dec 2013, 23:41
How about resupply of forward troops? Small arms ammo, rations, and water. Small targets, low risk of casualties, small payload but with enough of them you could achieve a lot.

Dysonsphere
3rd Dec 2013, 00:22
Well will give the other sides snipers something to amuse them selves with. :E

500N
3rd Dec 2013, 00:34
Snipers ?

How about the Machine Gunners. Nothing like trying to hit a moving target :ok:

And I am sure someone would think of using an air burst RPG ;)

But agree, small loads of ammo resupply in hot situations would be a use.

Evalu8ter
3rd Dec 2013, 05:41
Lots of military / para-military applications; CTR, rebro, artillery spotting etc. Resupply is a moot point - you'd need lots of them, have accurate locations and the deconfliction between manned traffic (and each other...) would be difficult.

The Kmax (http://defensetech.org/2013/09/25/marines-work-to-extend-k-max-through-2014/) is already used in an optionally manned version for resupply in Afghanistan. 3000lb of payload is a bit more useful than a DVD and paperback...

BobbyT
3rd Dec 2013, 06:58
What could possibly go wrong if your kids happen to be playing on the patio or front lawn when that thing arrives...

Courtney Mil
3rd Dec 2013, 08:37
Good second career prospects for retired RAF UAV pilots with their snazzy blue brevets.

ShotOne
3rd Dec 2013, 09:58
You might snigger but when this gets going it is going to fundamentally change the game for military aviation.

unmanned_droid
3rd Dec 2013, 10:05
This has been a fantastic piece of free customer research for my team. A lot of the comments make me smile. The delineation of those who can think ahead and see the benefits aswell as the challenges (all of which are surmountable today) and those who can't is really very clear. Primarily, it shows there's great interest in the concept of operation. It also shows there's a lot of engagement needed with the public.

dragartist
3rd Dec 2013, 12:18
STARA Technologies, Inc. (http://www.staratechnologies.com/provider.html)

Not so far fetched for military applications.

Saw Stara doing similar things with blood packs some years back. the system was called Mosquito I think. could be dropped from a manned a/c or even a UAV.

See link for a system that can carry more load. per Evalu8er comment

I know this is not quite the same. but can you imagine an Amazon Fulfilment centre operating in one of those Hybrid Airships. I wonder if Amazon would pay flying pay on top of the minimum wage and long shifts??

racedo
3rd Dec 2013, 12:41
How about resupply of forward troops? Small arms ammo, rations, and water. Small targets, low risk of casualties, small payload but with enough of them you could achieve a lot.

and falls into enemy hands who were short of such.....

CoffmanStarter
3rd Dec 2013, 14:02
Thanks for that Nutty ...

Note to self ... need a new box of clays :E

t43562
3rd Dec 2013, 14:04
The real point of this now is that you can contract out the delivery of your product (ordnance) to Amazon.

It also has a very nice user interface where one can enter quantities and the type of each item and enter separate delivery and billing addresses which is quite important, if you think about it. Don't get the two confused or you might be in for a headache!

It also lets you choose to gift wrap it and add an optional message e.g. "with love from the United Kingdom" or whatever you choose, and with warehouses on every continent you aren't limited by range.....

Rather convenient.

Herod
3rd Dec 2013, 14:40
Assuming these things are going to fly low-level over my house, with a very irritating noise, my first order will be a high-power catapult.:ok:

Kluseau
3rd Dec 2013, 14:55
I can't see a date associated with this page: can we be absolutely sure it wasn't posted on 1 April?

Jet In Vitro
3rd Dec 2013, 17:18
I have been training my Kestral to attack small UAVs. I started with small amounts of meat attached to a model quad ac and gradually got it used to the engine noise with the device on the ground. The bird now attacks the UAV whilst airborne with 100% kill rate.

Not sure where I go from here. A sqn of golden eagles for the bigger UAVs. May be pelicans for ASW and penguins for a land attack role. :ok:

gr4techie
3rd Dec 2013, 18:03
With these small uav's. What happens on a windy day? Which at Ice Station Lossiemouth is 364 days a year.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
3rd Dec 2013, 18:03
Which one?
http://trampt.com/images/products/000/067/526/Penguin_Missile-DC_Comics-Kubrick-Medicom_Toy-trampt-67526m.jpg?1343875368
or
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/missile/agm-119-19990818f16penguin-s.jpg

TomJoad
3rd Dec 2013, 19:18
This has been a fantastic piece of free customer research for my team. A lot of the comments make me smile. The delineation of those who can think ahead and see the benefits asbwell as the challenges (all of which are surmountable today) and those who can't is really very clear. Primarily, it shows there's great interest in the concept of operation. It also shows there's a lot of engagement needed with the public.

And you needed to do customer research for that - really:ugh: How about identifying the delineation between those who can and can't spot a marketing ploy to promote Amazon's name during the internet retail sector's busiest period of the year.:= Notwithstanding, best of luck taking us forward to the bright sunlit uplands of tomorrow.

TomJoad
3rd Dec 2013, 19:27
You might snigger but when this gets going it is going to fundamentally change the game for military aviation.

Yes it will certainly ripp the fun out of it IMHO.

A and C
3rd Dec 2013, 19:27
I agree, this stunt has got more airtime that even Amazon can afford to buy, an idea straight from the Ryanair school of marketing.

unmanned_droid
4th Dec 2013, 00:01
Tom,

Yes it's a marketing ploy, so what? The amount of chatter it has developed across the world is incredible. The insights from studying that chatter will be very useful to Amazon aswell as the little people like me. Even the guys who don't like the concept or don't think it'll work can't stop themselves from chiming in with their opinions. Studying the negative views will be the most interesting thing.

Jet In Vitro
4th Dec 2013, 05:55
F3WMB,

Do you have intellectual property rights on the penguin.

Roland Pulfrew
4th Dec 2013, 06:49
I can just see it now. In a field a short-ish distance from the Amazon launch site a new sport is invented. After a few tots of something warming the unusual partnership of chavs and country gents walk across the field to their pegs and wait. Then in the distance can be heard the buzz of drones recently launched for their 10 o'clock deliveries. Across the field can be heard the click of shotgun barrels being closed. From now it's pot luck, will the bird fly within range of your gun? Will the shot bring the bird down? Will the delivery box and it's contents survive the blast? Will I need to retrain the gun dogs? Will the box's contents be what little Jimmie/James wanted for Christmas? A frenzy of blasts ring out, some birds make it through but many are brought down. The boxes are quickly collected, their contents sorted and a brace of gifts get passd around the guns. And then as quickly as it started, it's all over. The X5s and battered Landies are loaded up and everyone departs. It's all over for this shoot, but the next one will be along soon. Who knows what trophies that might bring!

ShotOne
4th Dec 2013, 08:08
Interesting idea, Roland. Are you presently in the habit of taking pot-shots at delivery vehicles? If so we can perhaps look forward to viewing the drone-cam footage of you being carted off to somewhere secure and well padded.

Courtney Mil
4th Dec 2013, 08:37
Jet in Vitro,

Is this one of yours?

Furious Hawks Everywhere Swoop Down on RC plane GWS Tiger Moth - YouTube

TomJoad
4th Dec 2013, 19:47
Tom,

Yes it's a marketing ploy, so what? The amount of chatter it has developed across the world is incredible. The insights from studying that chatter will be very useful to Amazon aswell as the little people like me. Even the guys who don't like the concept or don't think it'll work can't stop themselves from chiming in with their opinions. Studying the negative views will be the most interesting thing.

So what so what - don't have a goat fella, comments were invited by the OP. Market research - the art of telling us what we already know. Good luck with that, perhaps you will come back and give us your insight on all the "chatter":ok:

TomJoad
4th Dec 2013, 19:50
Jet in Vitro,

Is this one of yours?

Furious Hawks Everywhere Swoop Down on RC plane GWS Tiger Moth - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h489G9vmzw)

Courtney,

I reckon that hawk pretty much nailed air supremacy.:p

Tom

Hangarshuffle
12th Dec 2013, 21:04
Well done somebody. 15 dead. This story beggars belief. Granted its just the Daily Mail with associated press link but...

Yemeni officials say U.S. drone strike hits wedding party, killing 13 | Mail Online (http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-2522745/Yemeni-officials-say-U-S-drone-strike-hits-wedding-party-killing-13.html)

Appears to be today. Granted it may be that one of these dead may have been AQ, but was it worth wiping out a wedding party, and can guarantee that everyone in this area will now perhaps, because of this action, simply hate the west just a little bit more?

Well this fire we have lit will come back to us one day, mark my words.

p.s. if the USA is fighting an all out gloves off air war against unarmed civilians, should it not be debated, even a little bit?

Note to MOds, granted maybe the wrong thread-delete as you wish, but UAVs aren't toys as some seem to think. Faceless unchecked killing machines in the wrong hands may be more truthful.

awblain
12th Dec 2013, 22:13
Maybe a swarm of Unmanned Amazon Vehicles might finally crack the seemingly unsolvable "how to spot the difference between a terrorist training camp and a wedding" problem.

Willard Whyte
13th Dec 2013, 11:18
Interesting idea, Roland. Are you presently in the habit of taking pot-shots at delivery vehicles? If so we can perhaps look forward to viewing the drone-cam footage of you being carted off to somewhere secure and well padded.

It's ok as long as the correct procedure is followed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2436_3BRlA