PDA

View Full Version : Looking for cost-efficient paint shop

philippevd
1st Dec 2013, 12:01
Hi guys,

I have a 1978 Grumman Cheetah which still has original paint. It's not flaking off or anything, but it's looking dull and has some scratches and chips. I'm based in Belgium.

I'm considering to have a paint job done on it, but understand it's a serious undertaking and will cost a fortune. So I'm looking for advice out there. Can anyone recommend a good paint shop, that delivers quality and durable work, without being top-end of the cost ladder?

Looking forward to feedback.

JP

A and C
1st Dec 2013, 14:12
You can go to any number of people who will put paint on your aircraft, depending on the shop it will fall off sooner or later as the paint underneath fails. Probably the best of the shops that don't totally strip the aircraft would be Falcon Aviation on Malta. If you are looking for an inexpensive job that will last quite well then they are worth talking to.

At the top end of the market would be Mick Allen Aircraft Resprays at Turwerston UK. I have had two aircraft painted by Mick and have never regretted it for a second, he is not cheap but if it is your intention to keep the aircraft you will find him inexpensive as it will probably be the last paint job your aircraft will ever need.

smarthawke
1st Dec 2013, 15:21
Another vote for Mick Allen. He's painted a dozen or so aircraft that have been directly in my charge as well as a dozen plus third party customers' aircraft that I have maintained.

And he has painted both of my kit aircraft - I wouldn't recommend anyone else.

Mick Allen & Son Aircraft Resprays (http://allenaircraftresprays.co.uk/)

Shoestring Flyer
1st Dec 2013, 15:32
You will need to be very careful who you get to strip the paint on a Grumman due to it being a bonded airframe with 'wet wing' fuel tanks. A different technique needs to be used compared to stripping and painting a normal spam can like a C152 or PA28.
Mick Allen knows what he is doing stripping Grummans. If you get just any old aircraft painter you may end up with leaking fuel tanks or worse.
He has done 3 Grummans for me in the past and as others have said is the best guy for the job.
Pay the money, it will probably cost you £8-£10k but it will be worth it long term.

Ultranomad
3rd Dec 2013, 00:18
This isn't my personal experience (yet), but for a cost-effective solution I was told to look for a contractor that paints aircraft for the military, and choose from their standard colours. You may also ask them to let you do the stripping part of the job (or a major part thereof). I also have a Grumman, and it does indeed require special care when stripping the paint (see Maintenance Manual, Chapter 20, last 3 pages), but the procedure is pretty straightforward and does not involve any special skills.