PDA

View Full Version : Best Military A/C Magazine...?

Honeytruck
29th Nov 2013, 15:27
This should possibly be in the Spotters' thread, but it didn't seem to fit there, so I'm turning -- nervously -- to the experts.

My OH is not a pilot, nor in the military, but is a mad-keen military a/c enthusiast. I'd really like to give him a subscription to a relevant mag, for Christmas. But I know nothing about military a/c, so I'd be choosing blind. Could anyone here recommend a title, please?

Yes, I know you're all far too busy doing it, and have no desire to read about it, etc etc... But perhaps you know folk who aren't, and do...

*Cringes in expectation of flaming*

Many thanks for any non-scornful replies..

NutLoose
29th Nov 2013, 15:36
What type of Military Aircraft does he like? Modern or the older types?

Older types I recommend are

Flypast

FlyPast Magazine Subscription :: iSUBSCRiBE.co.uk (http://www.isubscribe.co.uk/FlyPast-Magazine-Subscription.cfm?utm_source=google-ppc&utm_medium=ppc-exact&utm_term=flypast&utm_campaign=titles-hobbies&games-exact&affid=892&gclid=CKOdw8e2irsCFbMPtAodC0EAJw)

Aeroplane Monthly

Welcome to Aeroplane Magazine (http://www.aeroplanemonthly.com/)

And A bit of everything

Britain at War

Britain At War Magazine Subscription :: iSUBSCRiBE.co.uk (http://www.isubscribe.co.uk/Britain-At-War-Magazine-Subscription.cfm?utm_source=google-ppc&utm_medium=ppc-exact&utm_term=britain-at-war&utm_campaign=titles-generalinterest-exact&affid=892&gclid=CLqWjtm2irsCFZLKtAodyjAAew)

Wander00
29th Nov 2013, 16:28
Flypast for me, with Aeroplane second. Not a lot in it, just a matter of style

Rhino power
29th Nov 2013, 16:30
Can't go far wrong with AFM if he likes a broad spectrum of military aviation...

AirForces Monthly: The world’s number one military aviation magazine (http://www.airforcesmonthly.com/)

-RP

NutLoose
29th Nov 2013, 16:49
Wanderer, if you haven't read one, pick up a Britain at war, it is now owned by the Flypast lot, but it covers everything from modern gulf war to ww1 etc from tanks, boats, aircraft to the footsloggers, a very good read.

Honeytruck
29th Nov 2013, 17:19
Thanks so much, guys! :O

NutLoose, OH is keen on both old and modern a/c (he's the bloke going up and down the static line at Fairford, taking 60 photos a nanosecond.. AND he goes through and sorts them all afterwards.. :bored:) So both Flypast and Aeroplane Monthly might well fit the bill.

Rhino Power.. Broad spectrum, yes. Though (unlike me) he seems to be more fired up by fighters than transport.. Must be a boy thing.

But wouldn't ya know it, he's also very into military history in general, so "Britain at War" might also be just the job..

Think I'll have to acquire a specimen of each, and attempt to make some sort of decision, based on no expertise whatsoever..

Very much appreciate the suggestions.. :)

sandiego89
29th Nov 2013, 17:27
Another vote for Air Forces Monthly if his primary interest is with modern (current) air forces. Got too pricy for me here in the states, but it can not be beat for modern military aviation in my opinion. Covers armed forces from all over the globe. I prefer a global magazine, as some are too focused on UK or Europe.

Wander00
29th Nov 2013, 18:36
NL - Many thanks, I will have a look

W

Courtney Mil
29th Nov 2013, 21:19
he seems to be more fired up by fighters than transport.. Must be a boy thing.

Yep. Clearly a well placed gentleman.

Wg Cdr Spry
29th Nov 2013, 22:49
I would recommend Airclues. PM me your address and I will add you to my mailing list.

Yours aye

Spry

Hatchet 130
29th Nov 2013, 23:36
Honeytruck,

If the OH ever drags you to an airshow in the States or an American airshow over here, drop the honey-truck handle.
Don't ask, just trust me on this one.

A friend.

NutLoose
30th Nov 2013, 00:03
I don't know, they might come up smelling of roses....... But then again.

Courtney Mil
30th Nov 2013, 09:05
Oh, Hatchet. Really!

tonker
30th Nov 2013, 09:18
Air International covers most subjects in far more professional detail than Air Forces Monthly.

Not that i read either of course cough ggrrr

lmgaylard
30th Nov 2013, 12:40
I would have to say Airforces Monthly as I do a little word splicing for them....:)
Tonker....I have no idea what you mean:{

AtomKraft
30th Nov 2013, 15:13
If you want to get him something a cut above the rest, consider enroling him in Air Britain.

He get a selection of very interesting missives from them throughout the year, which can't be bought on the street, discounts on some top quality books, lots of good info on historical mil and civ aviation etc etc.

Either that or AF Monthly.

denachtenmai
30th Nov 2013, 15:30
Another vote for AFM, but oh how I yearn for just another peek at all the RAF Flying Reviews that I dumped when I joined up :{
Regards, Den.

AtomKraft
30th Nov 2013, 16:50
Den, I've got about thirty in great nick.

Want to make me an offer?

Stendec5
30th Nov 2013, 20:19
A good one that I came across at an AeroJumble was an old mag' called "Control Column". I bought almost the whole lot for £20. Quite a bargain.
They date from the late 60s until the early 80s. Its amazing what was around then. Although annoying to see photographs of Gate Guards like the Javelin (West Raynham and Manston) for example being JCB'd.
Oh for a Time Machine.

thunderbird7
1st Dec 2013, 10:18
I know it's not just mil and probably worse (:}) it's American, but the one aviation magazine I read from cover to cover is

Air & Space (http://www.airspacemag.com/) published by the Smithsonian.

Lyneham Lad
2nd Dec 2013, 18:21
I know it's not just mil and probably worse () it's American, but the one aviation magazine I read from cover to cover is

Air & Space published by the Smithsonian.

Seems pretty good value at the moment - US$28 for seven issues (traditional paper) or £2.49 per issue for the iPad version. Just downloaded the app and the complimentary issue (May 2013). Could be tempted...

Honeytruck
6th Dec 2013, 19:33
Apologies for not returning sooner to thank you all for the guidance..

MOST helpful. I'm now thoroughly confused, but a decision is starting to emerge from the depths of the Honeytruck..

:)