PDA

View Full Version : evenings spent studying.

BlueJays
28th Nov 2013, 16:08
Bit of a random one.

After all the exams were over with - whether that be PPL or ATPL''s - did anyone miss actually spending the evening studying. I, myself, feel almost lost in an evening now, after spending almost every evening for so many months with a glass of wine and getting stuck into a new and interesting subject.

Anyone else the same? Or do I need to get out more...?

RedBullGaveMeWings
28th Nov 2013, 17:36
I am still doing my PPL, ATPL will be the next step, but I can tell you, regardless of the subject and the field, it is always good to revise or even deeper your knowledge whenever possible:ok:

BlueJays
28th Nov 2013, 17:38
I am still doing my PPL, ATPL will be the next step, but I can tell you, regardless of the subject and the field, it is always good to revise or even deeper your knowledge whenever possible:ok: I'm the same, buddy. Just about to embark on ATPL's!

mad_jock
28th Nov 2013, 17:47
I found the same actually.

Another big shock was when I stopped full time instructing. Actually getting days off and weekends. Took a bit of getting used to.

Stalker_
28th Nov 2013, 19:27
Keep up the study, even if no exams to study for, in this industry especially if your working in it your either teaching it or learning it

CelticRambler
28th Nov 2013, 23:42
Although in a different domain, I recently went back to "school" for a couple of days to check that my skills were at least as good as the Bright Young Things who will be my professional colleagues from next year onwards (was a bit worried that a decade in Third World France had dulled my mind's analytical edge). The session was a reassuring success, but with the unexpected side-effect that I can't stop thinking how great it would be to take up full-time studying again.

Genghis the Engineer
29th Nov 2013, 10:24
I did a PhD part time - took me about 8 years of evenings and weekends. When I handed my thesis in, it was a massive shock to the system: I just didn't know what to do with that time.

So I did a distance learning CPL! That was quite easy by comparison, and a pleasant wind-down.

Since then, I just use the time writing. Hopefully at-least one new book next year: a university textbook on airworthiness, maybe a second on a non-aviation hobby.

Yes, I am that complete and utter glutton for punishment! It does become a habit, but I think it may also be in the genes to some extent - when I was growing up my dad was always studying something - first a couple of HNCs, then a diploma in something, then a few foreign languages. My brother just keeps adding languages.

Parson
29th Nov 2013, 12:19
I took a while to adjust mentally, but I soon filled the time with other things. Having said that, I still dip in and out of my ATPL notes and also my Thom PPL books. There are always things to learn or re-learn...

First.officer
29th Nov 2013, 13:26
Well, after the ATPL's, I also found a lot more spare time was in evidence around the evening time.......and then I discovered Broadband, and the delights of various naughty websites, and "hey presto", I have no time spare in the evenings any more - although for some unknown reason, my shareholding in Kleenex has gone up considerably in value, and my eyesight seems to be deteriorating, not sure if their is a link......;)

Blantoon
29th Nov 2013, 13:45
Rest assured, if the PPL exams took you many months (I don't mean that as a slight on your intelligence, more a comment on the thoroughness of your study) then the ATPLs will keep you busy for a good long while.

AirRabbit
1st Dec 2013, 18:56
As you may or may not already know, I’ve managed to earn a reputation for using A LOT of words in my posts. Guilty. I plead being an educator/instructor. So … with some anticipation of some degree of good natured criticisms (well, I hope they’re good natured…), and, with a promise to TRY to keep the length down below the price of gold … here I go again…

This aviation industry is so vast, so varied, and so important to almost everything we do, I’d whole-heartedly recommend you spend your new-found “bonus” time in reading all you can, talking to anyone who is willing, formulating your own opinions and bouncing them off of others ... about training and training equipment: what is training, what training means, how it’s done, how one knows it’s done satisfactorily, what’s the best way to train, how to best use the equipment available … and the list can go on and on. Personally, I don’t believe this subject will ever be completely addressed. We used to depend on pilots coming out of the military to populate the growing number of cockpit seats in the airline industry … and as a result … I think we all got “spoiled.” The military “hired” folks who generally had difficulty in recognizing a wing from a flap, and, in something just under, or just over, 1 year, made most of them into very fine fledgling aviators. The military is now doing things to ensure they get their fair-share return on their training investment in the pilots they train. As a result – pilots are staying in the military for longer periods – including time sufficient to retire … and THEN, only SOME of them find themselves looking for jobs in the airline industry. Today - with the industry apparently beginning to expand AND the fact that existing airplanes are being replaced with newer versions – the training requirements are going through the roof. There are some who regularly predict a “pilot shortage,” and others who “pooh-pooh” that opinion. The point is … there will always be training requirements – sometimes more and sometimes less – but it absolutely won’t go away. Anyone who knows (and I mean really knows) training, will be sought after for quite some time to come … regardless of whether they want to be involved in basic, pre-solo training or training modern airline crews in the newest technologies available, and anything and everything in between. As long as aviation continues to interest you … and you feel like you want to use your time wisely and continue to satisfy your interest … try this aspect on for size. If you find it interesting, I can just about promise you that you will always be rewarded for your efforts. AND – please feel free to let me know if you have questions or other comments. Good Luck!

BlueJays
4th Dec 2013, 23:11
Cheers, bud!

manuaros
7th Dec 2013, 16:24
When I finished all my PPL exams I found myself reading about all the subjects most of the evenings - mostly Navigation and Meteorology.

I actually enjoy it more now, since I don't have the pressure to pass all the tests and everything.