PDA

View Full Version : Ear Protection

Antwan
28th Nov 2013, 14:56
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on protecting the ears. Specifically, I'm talking about ear plugs or something in addition to headsets. Any company names would be appreciated.

Thanks

TOWTEAMBASE
28th Nov 2013, 16:27
If its aircraft noise, can't beat peltor 3s

Ulster
28th Nov 2013, 20:18
Specifically, I'm talking about ear plugs or something in addition to headsets

Yes ! That's EXACTLY what you should be looking for ! There are lots of different types, sizes and makes available out there. Mostly just very simple and soft foam, which slip comfortably into the external auditory meatus ( ie your ear-hole ! ) as and when required. A standard headset can be worn over the ears exactly as normal.

Do NOT expect hearing protection to render you deaf ! Good hearing protection leaves you still able to hear normal things (including warnings of danger, etc), but just simply attenuates the most damaging peaks of excessive noise ! :D

GipsyMagpie
28th Nov 2013, 22:37
It has been discussed before but these are mandated for us.
Home - Communications & Ear Protection, Inc. (http://www.cep-usa.com/home)

Can be uncomfortable if poorly fitted but they work.

Ulster
28th Nov 2013, 23:32
Combining the foam earplug and the sound transducer into a single unit results in a simple but effective approach for providing the user with excellent sound attenuation and unparalleled speech intelligibility in even the noisiest environments.

Exactly what I said an hour or so ago, but complicated and aggrandised in a way that only an American company could do ! :mad: :mad:

A330ETOPS
7th Dec 2013, 19:22
I have custom made plugs from ACS. Any hearing centre can get the impressions for you and send off for them. Very comfortable indeed!

I used to be a DJ prior to being a pilot and had some hearing loss. I wear these religiously if going to concerts/loud music venues and also whilst flying