PDA

View Full Version : RAAF & Blue Steel trials

Aus_AF
28th Nov 2013, 09:49
Looking for anyone that may have been involved in the recovery and cleaning/decontamination of Canberra and maybe Lincoln aircraft during Blue Steel trails at RAAF Edinburgh in the 60's era.

The story I have is the aircraft would do airborne sampling of the clouds generated in the blasts, I'd like to know who & how the aircraft were cleaned up after a sortie and where the waste would be disposed of.

Was told stories of the waste being deposited against one of the hangars which is one of our designated smoking areas now.

Along with raising it in the proper manner I am seeking to find out about it from anyone involved, if they are reading here.

Aus_AF
28th Nov 2013, 11:05
Received some further info where the current 10SQN hangar was used to decontaminate the aircraft after flying through radioactive clouds from UK nuke tests.
The channels on the hangar floor directed the captured waste and direct it to a pit at the fwd right hand corner of the hangar.
There was a time when this area was fenced off but no longer. Does anyone on night shift notice it glowing?

dostum
2nd Dec 2013, 09:47
I remember having a squadron dining in night in the 10SQN hangar many years ago. There were plenty of aircrew and ground crew 'glowing' that night!