PDA

View Full Version : a near disaster

plugg
27th Nov 2013, 06:36
Manchester United in mid-air plane scare over Germany as they jet in for Euro tie
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-united-mid-air-plane-scare-2854277

Shared by the Mirror News App

iOS: http://bit.ly/mirrorios

Android: http://bit.ly/mirrorandroid

costas1979
27th Nov 2013, 06:41
A typical Go-Around, Happens all the time..

Dash8driver1312
27th Nov 2013, 06:44
A near disaster? Hardly. A standard procedure, regularly practiced and prepared for on every flight.

You're not flight crew, I presume.

Capn Bloggs
27th Nov 2013, 06:58
Get this rubbish off Prune. Plug the plug on it, Plugg! :=

“The captain came om the intercom to apologies for what happened and then we landed safely.”
I'm glad the English have a good grasp of English grammar...

BOAC
27th Nov 2013, 06:59
That certainly was a lucky escape. Only 400m up. A plane 'on the tarmac' too. Gosh.

Guys and girls.- I suspect plugg had the lingua in the bucca?

Lightning Mate
27th Nov 2013, 07:21
plugg should work for the Daily Mail.

1stspotter
27th Nov 2013, 07:36
Incredible what kind of rubbish the english press writes about this go around. Here another example.
Manchester United plane in aborted landing scare

Manchester United plane to Bayer Leverkusen in Germany in aborted landing scare - Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-united-plane-bayer-leverkusen-6344588)

Words used in the article like mid-air plane scare, Timeline of mid-air drama

Will Hung
27th Nov 2013, 07:44
Truly ridiculous. As is ganging up on Plugg who just might have been being facetious ?

paully
27th Nov 2013, 07:53
Sure I`m going to hear that the heroic pilots battled the controls and bravely avoided the school/hospital/orphanage (take yer pick) before pulling out all the stops ....ok you know the rest :{

A and C
27th Nov 2013, 07:56
The actions of a lazy hack on a slow news day

Cagedh
27th Nov 2013, 07:58
I had to stop for a railway crossing, to avoid hitting the barriers which were coming down!

flyboyweeksy
27th Nov 2013, 08:04
The reason for this go-around was because the aircraft in front was taking it's time vacating the runway, hence causing the go-around at CGN. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Allan Lupton
27th Nov 2013, 08:14
Good to know that Monty Orangeball's spirit is alive and well, even though he's no longer with us.:)

Axerock
27th Nov 2013, 08:23
My understanding is that a German pilot in order to ensure the best departure slot had got up early and put his towel on the runway and then went home for breakfast.

Doug E Style
27th Nov 2013, 08:23
I flew a go-around yesterday because of an aircraft on the runway. If I'd known it was that dangerous I would have :mad: myself.

Cough
27th Nov 2013, 08:27
If only the A320series had the soft go around of the A380 then maybe this wouldn't get reported...

However (as reported you understand:E) - 400m ABOVE the runway - No wonder they had to G/A, they had no chance of landing. Also, this was the 'last moment' that they could do it. Oh man, all that training I've had over the years doing G/A's from 50' on Cat IIIa approaches is wasted. I'm gonna get a new job...

Dufo
27th Nov 2013, 08:50
Isn't every flight a near disaster?

lederhosen
27th Nov 2013, 09:12
There is indeed nothing particularly newsworthy here. But it does make me wonder if the A321 was a bit close behind the preceding aircraft rather the one in front being slow to vacate. If he he went around at at 1200 feet it suggests this was the case. The controllers tend to line people up at regular intervals. But there can be huge differences in approach speed. Unless otherwise instructed our SOP is to take the gear and flap 15 at 2000 feet and be stable checklist read at the latest by 1000 feet. On a ferry flight the vref can be below 120 knots which I always tell the controller. An A321 particularly if it is high energy can catch up pretty quickly. We are all doing what we are supposed to and it is no big deal. But the one behind should be able to judge the situation better than the one in front and slow down. The only bit of the article I am sure is spot on is that most of our passengers do not enjoy go-arounds and regard them as dangerous.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
27th Nov 2013, 09:15
<<But there can be huge differences in approach speed.>>

Best fly the speed ATC says... or let them know in good time - i.e. before you are on the ILS - the speed you want and they will accommodate you.

lederhosen
27th Nov 2013, 09:27
I think that is exactly my point.

DaveReidUK
27th Nov 2013, 10:21
Truly ridiculous. As is ganging up on Plugg who just might have been being facetious ?That's certainly how I read it.

But I take my hat off to the DM for even managing to work the 1958 Munich crash into an otherwise underwhelming story about an everyday event. :O

c52
27th Nov 2013, 10:32
For all that I read pprune and have airline pilots among my friends and know that go-arounds are OK, I would still be worried sick if I were on a flight that did one.

pax britanica
27th Nov 2013, 12:17
I had to smile to myself when I heard this on the news this morning.

All sorts of reasons- who for example west of Poland refers tot he height in metres so was it 400m or 400ft.
I would have thought that 400m up on say an approach into LHR would see you over somewhere like Twickenham with three and a bit miles to run and barelya go around at all , more lie an aborted approach -do the crew even go the the go around drill -TOGA ,rotate x degrees nose up etc at that height and distance or do they just fly it gently back to 2000 ft or whatever the standard missed approach altitude is.
trouble with these stories of course is that the media do not deploy especially useless journos on the aviation stories so the same degree of crass exaggeration, lack of any understanding, sensationalism versus truth on just about every subject and then they wonder why it is a derided profession

Betablockeruk
27th Nov 2013, 12:46
Google Alert has just found the most accurate reporting of the incident.

Seconds from disaster: Manchester United caught up in German airport near-miss drama | Football | Sport | Daily Star. Simply The Best 7 Days A Week (http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/352838/seconds-from-disaster-manchester-united-caught-up-in-german-airport-near-miss-drama)

Well done George. Excellent reporting of the facts! :D

Jn14:6
28th Nov 2013, 09:19
Obviously really scared them........... They won 5-0!

groundhogbhx
28th Nov 2013, 11:38
The comments under the Daily Star article are almost as funny as the article itself. One said that they couldn't believe that all of the team flew in the same aircraft, and hadn't they learned something from the Munich crash :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Big Eric
28th Nov 2013, 15:36
Well I suppose that's 5 minutes of my life that I'll never get back after reading this pile of absolute tosh. :ugh:

chiglet
28th Nov 2013, 22:16
One "report" likened it to Munich...:ugh:
'cos one was taking off, and t'other was landing :{
Yeah, riiight get a grip

Krystal n chips
29th Nov 2013, 02:55
Now why do I get the impression the M.E.N. "report" was compiled by, a, erm, Man.City supporter.:p

Will Hung
29th Nov 2013, 20:30
Probably 'cos most mancs support the City ! Most united "fans" come from Kent / Somerset / Hants / Hong Kong / Beijing ......................................