PDA

View Full Version : Glider Schools in SA

Gunship
10th May 2002, 22:35
Hi All,

I would like to enroll my son at a glider school at the end of the year. I was convinced by some Brit Mil Flying Instructors that this is the "better way " of doing it if daddy pays.

I would have liked him to start immediately at 43 Air School but money, money , money ...

Any comments and or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Brgds

B Sousa
11th May 2002, 00:39
With all your money and you want him to fly a motorless aircraft?? Every landing is a forced landing....ha ha..
Part with a few of those Gold Bars and come on over to the states, he could do the fixed wing and you could get your Helicopter Commercial....

Gunship
11th May 2002, 08:07
Lo Bert,

How's your ship ;-) ? Bert, maybe I must pose the question on the Brit Mil forum, but these "local" Brit Instructors convinced me in the importance of first doing the engine - less part to gain flying experience, airmanship, check c-ordination and so on. In the mean time he and his instructors can see if he is really ready to fly (real aircraft). Sounds like a good scheme to me ??

Any other help ... Bert sit down .. we had our chance - and we HAD the best !

Have a great day !

34 deg C, realfeel 42 deg C ... NO gold ;-)

B Sousa
13th May 2002, 14:11
Ok, so much for the humor. The Brits determine how good you fly by how many books you have read and memorized. Again there are plenty of schools here in the states that can teach, Gliders, Fixed Wing, Helicopters and Lighter than Air Ships. I think a lot cheaper here also, considering airfare, lodging etc...
I know they give Glider ratings at a place right outside of las Vegas. While I was doing my part 135 for the company Im working for, the gliders were active on the parallel runway.
If you want some prices etc, I can get that for you, as to the times and testing required its all in the FARs which can be accessed over the internet. I can also put you in email contact with one of the Glider Instructors.
Email me if you require any information and I will be glad to assist, besides I could show you Las Vegas from a "Squirells" point of view.....

Bert
Silverado One Six
(www.heliusa.com)

Gunship
13th May 2002, 14:54
Thanks Bert !

ALL help will be greatly appreciated.
Friend of mine just arrived back from Vegas to tell me that he just got married in Lo$ Vega$ .. a bit of a quicky ...

Cheers and looking forward to hear from you. You have my e-mail address ?

Cheers

Gunship
13th May 2002, 15:04
Still nobody with a contact / name or web site of a glider school in SA ? I get a lot about hang glider's but not the real thing.

Help asseblief ..

Cheers,

wheels up
14th May 2002, 09:49
Hi Gunship

Check out the Cape Gliding club website at http://www.cgc.org.za
The club is based in Worcester +/- 100 kms from Cape Town. They offer full time week long courses twice a year - next one in April. I learned to fly in gliders and flew for a number of years out of the Cape Gliding club. I now fly commercially and would without hesitation reccomend gliding as a means for an aspirant pilot to sample the waters. A week long course is an excellent way for your son to get immersed in an aviation environment for a week without breaking the bank.

The Cape Gliding Club has excellent facilities in a stunning location. The site is ideal for wave, ridge and thermal soaring. As an instructor (power) I have noticed that glider pilots often have superior stick and rudder skills and are much more aware of weather and the medium that we fly in.

As for the States being cheaper than SA - ha, ha, ha, ha. SA is by FAR cheaper in all respects. I visited the states in 2001 before the rand depreciation and it was more expensive then. Besides the beer is better and the women are prettier here.

Hope that helps

Gunship
14th May 2002, 10:43
Wheels up - Thanks !

I really appreciate it ! Everything you said makes sence ! After flying 25 years and 7000 hours it is the first time that I gave it a thought after speaking to these local Brit Flying instructors. It tdefinatly works for them - so surely makes sense !

We live in the Helderberg so it will suit him 100% !!

Baie dankie Wheels Up !

Cheers

B Sousa
15th May 2002, 02:31
Sorry about that. I forgot about the rand.......you may be right. My comments were sort of directed towards the fact that you have all that written stuff to go through prior to even getting in an aircraft......I hate the classroom, enjoy logging time....
I for one will keep the glider website and if its that cheap, I may even try it on my return to SA....I saw someone in a motorized glider down near Knysna giving tours, thought that may also be a kick....
Either way it will be cooler in SA than it is here in Vegas. Gonna see some Transient Torques this summer for sure.......Tourists here just cant keep their fat butts away from the buffet lines.....

wheels up
15th May 2002, 12:05
Glad to assist Gunship. Correction to my last post - next course is in September. Last time I checked April came before May so I guess that one has passed!

Some other advantages of the gliding route: 25 hours of gliding time can be counted toward the 40 hrs required for a PPL. The radio licence is the same restricted licence required for the PPL.

B Sousa
15th May 2002, 15:10
Radio License?? Very Interesting.. Is this something one must study to receive?? I mean how many books do you have to read to say "Roger". or is it something you just have to pay for like a fee..
Im interested. Does the guy on the other end whos feet are on the ground have a license to understand when you say "Roger"
One thing We finally got rid of here was a Radio License. I guess most folks here know "Roger" and it became sort of silly to be licensed to say it....

careful Bert

Gunship
15th May 2002, 22:14
Rodger Bert,

After looking at the web site I decided to leave for SA on Saturday and hope to enroll and finish in the month. Or maybe wait for the Week course and finish it up with my son.

Wheels Up and Bert it is a BARGAIN ! I mean c'mon where else in the world do you get lessons for flying FREE ! NO payment for an instructor - wow and knowing the Worcester area - it is going to be great fun "soaring" ... think that's what they call it ??

Ja boet I saw that radio licence crap .. remember paying R50 for that in 77 / 78 when I did my PPL (it included lessons by a ATC) .. I mean I am sure we will be excempted on this one Bert ... although my ATC procedures took a dive here where it is semmi Krio / Russian / Brit English.

C'mon Bert leave those blinking lights in La$ Vega$ and soar the mountians .. did I mention I live about an hours drive from Worcester ... ;-)

Cheers and best regards to the fatties in your heli ...