PDA

View Full Version : Fi Jobs

celticflyer
10th May 2002, 21:33
Planning to undertake a JAR FI course in the next couple of weeks. Any feedback on the job situation out there would be helpfull lads.Cheers.

Fujiflyer
12th May 2002, 13:59
celticflyer

Best bet is to do some searches on the site using the search engine provided. A few weeks ago I checked this out as I am also interested in this option. There is much good advice.

It would be useful to know what ratings you have already. Do you intend to become a FI as a full career or do you simply want to instruct on a part time basis (i.e. weekends), alongside a full time job?

I hate sounding pessimistic but you should be aware that the path from PPL to an employed FI is apparently quite difficult at the present due to existing instructors not being taken up by the airlines as much as normal (instructing being the normal step up to the airline jobs).

Good luck,

Fujiflyer :) :) :)

celticflyer
14th May 2002, 22:37
Cheers for the reply Fujiflyer.

To answer your questions, I'm a low hour CPL/ME-IR. My first choice would be to instruct full time at one of the larger JAR schools, but there is a good chance that I will not have that option until I get a few more hours behind me or at least move the restriction from the rating. Hope to instruct part time over the next few months and then look towards a more full time position. Where are you planing to carry out the rating? I'm looking strongly at the states.

Wee Weasley Welshman
15th May 2002, 08:23
BAE in Jerez were advertising 6 weeks ago for Multi IR FI's.

Was 30 degrees their yeaterday, CAVOK... :D

Bluebaron
15th May 2002, 09:11
Be wary about spending money on FI ratings at the moment.

There are very few jobs around and even those are not well paid. The larger schools (Bae etc) are looking as WWW stated, however you need 1000 hours instruction given and a MEI/IRI. As a new FI (restricted) you havn't a hope. Also Oxford have laid off some 20-25 instructors this year already.

I would try and get into banner towing or simalar. Or you could do what i did and buy a share in a PFA airplane and hour build at 6 quid an hour (800 quid for a share and you get that back when you sell it). that 5 grand will get you over 800 hours.

Sorry to be negative but thats the market at the moment.:(

BB

jamerobi
16th May 2002, 18:48
Blimey Bluebaron....what pfa aircraft can you fly for £6 per hour and £800 for a share...?

Bluebaron
20th May 2002, 16:30
I flew a luton Minor at White Waltham. Loads of cheap flying there and no landing fees.

I havn't been there for a while but there was always a lot of shares for sale on the notice board.

BB ;)

CUSTER
20th May 2002, 18:40
G-RICH

Can't agree more, the market at the moment is fairly clogged with low time-low experience instructors.
I decided to move from a club with nackered tatty aircraft, equally nackered falling to bits premises and an owner with a s**t i only give a toss about the cashflow attitude and who totally ripped the punters off.

I was lucky I managed to get myself an nice little job with clean maintained to death aircraft doing IMC instruction.
As already posted try some cheap hour building the hour may help you when the turn around comes.

Dan Dare
22nd May 2002, 21:11
Refernce the PFA flying, I recently did some research for BALPA trying to be realistic about the costs of flying PFA single seaters. If you flog it to death, then rates tend towards £6 per hour, but I think budgeting for £12 an hour would be more realistic. That STILL gives 400-500 hours useful flying experience for the price of an instructors rating. There are currently shares available at White Waltham, e-mail me for contact details.