PDA

View Full Version : GA Life Jacket HM Series Survivor

alex79
24th Nov 2013, 11:58
Hi All

I'm about to buy my first Life Jacket. The only three requirements that I have are that it is a "always on", that it is CASA certified and lastly that it is not too expensive.

I read several posts about life jackets and did some research what is available in AUS and I found the "HM Series Survivor Lifejacket With Light" for $150.

Anybody who has experience with this one? Good or Bad?

Thanks for the help!
Alex

DWB50
24th Nov 2013, 23:28
I bought 2 of these for my Bass Strait crossing. I can't report on how well they work as we didn't need them! They were however, comfortable & non obtrusive to wear. Not much else one can say really.....

ForkTailedDrKiller
24th Nov 2013, 23:44
Another requirement should be that it DOESN"T inflate automatically when immersed!

The last thing you want when trying to extract yourself from a ditched aircraft is the life jacket inflating before you get clear of the cabin.

Dr :8

VH-XXX
24th Nov 2013, 23:53
I bought 2 of these for my Bass Strait crossing. I can't report on how well they work as we didn't need them!

I hear lilo's are all the rage at the moment (from KMart) :cool:

Alex79, you really need to try one on or perhaps and make sure it's comfortable. The one you are looking for is simply a boat one with light that the manufacturers have bothered to get CAA approval for. Price wise not too bad, the going rate for boat jackets is around $70 plus this one has a water activated light.

I recommend if you are getting one to purchase it from Mendelssohn's; if they don't have it, they can usually get things shipped from OS in 5 days or less and they often discount below their advertised Internet price. We purchased a liferaft from them a few years back and were very happy, plus a transponder more recently.

T28D
25th Nov 2013, 02:15
Go straight to Survitec ( RFD ) less than $100 for a proper SOLAS jacket

Ex FSO GRIFFO
25th Nov 2013, 02:58
I'm with T28D.....

Get a 'proper' one.....your life MAY depend on it.....

And, while you're there 'contemplating', help yourself to be located efficiently with a GME 410G GPS Pocket beacon in ya top pocket.....

The less time spent in 'Great White' territory, the better...;)

Cheers:ok:

DWB50
25th Nov 2013, 03:36
Hey guys what are you trying to say about the HM Survivor!

I bought mine from Mendelssohn's Pilot Supplies $150 each just like Alex has quoted. They are advertised as non TSO, so if unless you need TSO'd Life Jackets they are fine. And they are not automatic inflators on immersion, although HM do make an automatic one. They are rated for persons 40 - 150kg

T28D
25th Nov 2013, 04:09
A proper Solas Jacket from RFD will cost around $100 and will support 275 Nm

DWB50
25th Nov 2013, 05:21
Hmmm. Just had a look at the RFD SOLAS. $89.95. I think you get what you pay for. It is a quick donning PFD not one to wear in the confines of a cockpit in a small plane well I wouldn't wear it in mine that's for sure. Be OK in a commercial passenger plane maybe. I think it would be OK in a boat.
LIFEJACKET RFD SOLAS (http://www.harboursidechandlery.com.au/catalog/lifejacket-solas-p-1769.html)
The HM survivor has a crotch strap as well so there is no way it can accidentally slip over your head

500N
25th Nov 2013, 05:47
Alex

I am not a pilot but hope this info is useful. I only took an interest to see
what type of Life Jackets were being talked about.

In the past I have worn an RFD Version in the military for water ops activities
- Port Phillip bay, Bass Straight etc for significant lengths of time both in and
out of the water including the odd time in aircraft. The majority of time this
included wearing additional heavy "kit" that you obviously won't be wearing.

All was good except when wearing one for some time, you often ended up with sore neck from where the life jacket occasionally touched or was rubbing the skin. This included through light cotton shirts. I notice on the one's recommended by your fellow pilots that some have sheep skin around the collar which IMHO
is a good feature as it should alleviate rubbing marks.

I would suggest making sure that they have a whistle and a light
although most seem to have them. Manual top up valve is very useful.

Re use, I have been held up in water. At the time I was 85kg and probably
had 12 - 15kg of additional dead weight on me in kit plus a 3.5kg dead weight in my hand.
They really do keep your head above the water and then you just need to worry about the waves.
(I'm being serious, waves crashing into you is a problem in the sea).

A crotch strap or waist strap is important to stop the life jacket floating up
and away (over your head).

One thing I always found useful when wanting to make sure you have
the life jacket (ie not forgetting it) was you can reverse the RFD
so the strap is still around your waist but he RFD points down and
then you strap it to your leg. This keeps it out of the way but "on you".

When you put the PFD away, you can back the gas bottle out a bit (unscrew it)
to make sure you don't get accidental inflation although personally
I take it right out so it is obvious. That way you won't forget it.

As suggested, I would try the on if possible.

As an aside and not 100% sure of your need but Cyalume light sticks
are worth carrying, light, don't require batteries and can be "cracked"
when required.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
25th Nov 2013, 07:34
Take ya pick........

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=solas+life+jackets&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=EwuTUrvNO8boiAfmhYG4Ag&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1096&bih=612

I'm sure that you will find one to suit....

Cheers:ok:

alex79
3rd Dec 2013, 11:45
Thanks for the feedback and I got some valuable pointers.

DWB50 you wrote that the HM Series Survivor is not TSO certified. I must admit that I thought it was. I tried to google the manufacturer but I can't get any information about the level of certification for that model.

As I understand the CASA requirements a life jacket must be either TSO or CAA(UK) approved, if the HM Survivors isn't ... wouldn't this be officially "flying without a life jacket"?

I didn't purchase the jacket yet, I enquired about other models that were mentioned here, and while I agree that it may save your life, I'm not a professional offshore pilot ... so not sure if a $350+ is necessary.

If somebody has some info on the HM surviver certification ... would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Ex FSO GRIFFO
3rd Dec 2013, 13:56
Hi Alex,

Didja think about acquiring a 'pocket' GPS / EPIRB..??

We all think that we may 'never' use it....but...??

:p

DWB50
3rd Dec 2013, 19:59
Alex, Mendelssohn's advertisement (most magazines) states the HM Survivor is Non TSO. Depending on your type of operation it doesn't need to be.

The HM Survivor is actually a Baltic Winner 150, EN 396/EN ISO 12402-6 (Baltic Lifejackets Sweden | Flytvästar, räddningsvästar, flytkläder, uppblåsbara räddningsvästar (http://www.baltic.se)). Baltic also manufacture the M.E.D./SOLAS range according to the manual that came with the HM Surv.

Good luck with your choice. I'm happy with mine in the meantime. Proof will be in the testing which of course we always hope never happens, like pressing the ACTIVATE button on your PLB.

VH-XXX
3rd Dec 2013, 20:37
The success rate for inflatable life jackets on boats is exceptional. You just need to ensure that they are serviced in accordance to the manufacturers recommendations. Corrosion of the bottle and activating components is sometimes an issue but not in aircraft operation unless you are maybe flying a seaplane. Inflating the jacket would be the least of your worries in an aircraft use scenario.

chute packer
4th Dec 2013, 00:00
Get a decent one, Mk28WB from RFD would be my choice, $225 last purchase we made.
Survitec Group Australia - Aviation Products - Life Jackets & Vests (http://www.rfd.com.au/products/aviation/lifejackets/index.php#lifejackets03)

rjtjrt
4th Dec 2013, 02:09
chute packer

Get a decent one, Mk28WB from RFD would be my choice, $225 last purchase we made.
Survitec Group Australia - Aviation Products - Life Jackets & Vests

Black is not a good colour for Australian conditions.
John

chute packer
5th Dec 2013, 00:12
cheers....finally updated my location, been here a few years now.

We have 600 odd Mk28 in service, no complaints from the passengers yet about the colour.

rjtjrt
5th Dec 2013, 03:14
chute packer
Not trying to be argumentative, but how long are the pax wearing them, and are they in direct sun exposure, as in the cockpit under overhead perspex as some light aircraft?
Black shouldn't be a problem if in shade, but if in direct sun and for hours I would be surprised if not an issue.
Happy to be proven wrong.
John

DWB50
5th Dec 2013, 04:04
Isn't it funny how a specific simple question from Alex, post#1 gets screwed around. Now we're talking about colours!

rjtjrt
5th Dec 2013, 04:20
DWB
Normally I am pretty placid, but....
Not talking about colour as an aesthetic. Talking about functionality in Australian conditions.
No way the original post is being screwed around with, the purpose of my post was to alert that a helpful NZ post should be assessed by original poster in light of non NZ conditions.
My post was:
1. To be helpful.
2. In context of I am also interested in getting 2 lifejackets in next few months.
So, hold the sanctimonious attitude.

DWB50
5th Dec 2013, 07:04
I did say early in the piece that I was happy with my choice of the (Black) HM Survivor for my Bass Strait crossing from Coldstream all the way to Hobart via Flinders Is (in a bubble canopy aircraft incidentally) & return via King Is route.

Incidentally when the lifejacket is activated out pops a YELLOW flotation unit.

No sanctimonious attitude here. I just answered Alex's question with my opinion on the brand of product he enquired about, that I happened to have experience with as per his post #1.

rjtjrt
5th Dec 2013, 07:51
DWB50
You flew Bass Strait in June - hardly a test of hot sunny weather, bubble canopy or not. A bit disingenuous not to mention that if you are making a point on the heat effect under a bubble canopy.
I am not sure if you are being deliberately obtuse re the point of my colour comment. To make it easy for you, it is bloody hot - hopefully you would have worked that out on your Atec 122.

VH-XXX
5th Dec 2013, 08:46
What are you trying to say RJT, that a black lifejacket it too hot to touch on a sunny day under a bubble canopy? Seriously :ugh:

I guess I'll have to stop wearing a black shirt when I fly in low wings from not on, don't wanna burn my nipples :mad::ouch:

T28D
5th Dec 2013, 10:36
Whatever you choose make sure it is to SOLAS standard.

rjtjrt
5th Dec 2013, 10:38
XXX
Who said I was implying or saying too hot to touch?
My point is it is hot to wear, around the neck, and thus in 40+ at low level, where I would be using it, it will be not the best colour for our climate. Go back and read my first post!
Heat especially in the area of neck has a significant effect on human susceptibility to heat effect and effect on performance.
I did not say not to buy or use it, just that it is not the best colour for Australia, and I would take this into account in my decision when choosing between available options.

Old Akro
5th Dec 2013, 12:21
Are they re-test annually or every 5 years? The 5 year ones are a lot cheaper / easier to manage. The re-test cost is a significant % of the new cost and logistically a nuisance.

chute packer
6th Dec 2013, 01:26
Akro - have a read of this for your intervals.
http://www.casa.gov.au/ADFiles/equip/emy/EMY-002.pdf

Colour - well if you don't like black don't buy one, if it doesnt bother you then so be it. Our pax wear them for up to 2 hrs, the crew jackets, Mk44, (exposed to extra sun light etc) are a very dark blue, again no complaints and we fly and operate all the way up the northwest coast.

For alternate colours your choice is fairly limited
Constant Wear Lifejacket SMA2158 | www.safetymarineaust.com.au (http://www.safetymarineaust.com.au/home/content/constant-wear-lifejacket-sma2158)

Old Akro
6th Dec 2013, 08:57
If you read the background paragraph at the bottom, it basically says the AD was issued to facilitate longer inspection periods than annual ones based on the manufacturers maintenance schedule.

T28D
6th Dec 2013, 23:24
SOLAS mandates the inspection cycle, it is not onerous, and it is designed to keep you afloat long enough for the sharks to get a good smell.

More important is to carry a GPS PLB in the pocket on the SOLAS jacket that is put there on modern Jackets for the PLB.

Gets you out of the water before the sharks get a real chance to chew your toes.

Top_Cat_6
1st Feb 2014, 09:41
Unbelievable! In my quest to find the correct Life Jacket up to CASA/SOLAS standards, I stumble upon this initially useful page. Only to find a bunch of children squabbling over the semantics of a colour (black) of a life vest. Was it not a fair point? Is it not true that us Aussies endure searing heat in our warmer months? Clearly the black life vests, thus the heat, has gotten to you that you feel the need to post such rudeness.

People look up to us pilots, similarly as they do police officers and fire fighters and yet here I am left wondering who put your pilots licence in the breaky corn flakes packet. Unbelievable. You should be ashamed of yourselves. We are all mates here sharing our love and knowledge of aviation, don't forget that. Professional Pilots is the title, perhaps we should take note of that standard and actually uphold it. Wouldn't that just be an idea!:eek:

In spite of initial trepidation, as I too thought, hey, it's black, it might be too hot wearing these, but I need them asap, they are sufficient for my intended flight path and in my price range, so, I have two of the HM Series Survivor Lifejacket With Light in the mail right now.

Thanks for the constructive comments guys, keep up the good work. I will update once I have utilised them.:D Cheers!

MakeItHappenCaptain
1st Feb 2014, 22:12
http://www.rfd.com.au/products/aviation/lifejackets/downloads/mk28_brochure.pdf
Beaufort MK28

I use one for round the world ferries. Carry an EPIRB, mini flares, fluorecin and a heliograph in it.
Pay peanuts, get monkeys.:cool:

T28D
2nd Feb 2014, 00:13
They are only black until you pull the string and activate them then they are all bright yellow with reflector tape on them

Jacket up to CASA/SOLAS standards, I stumble upon this initially useful page. Only to find a bunch of children squabbling over the semantics of a colour (black) of a life vest.

Aussie Bob
2nd Feb 2014, 07:44
Thanks for the constructive comments guys, keep up the good work. I will update once I have utilised them.:D Cheers!

Top Cat, here is one pilot who sincerely hopes you never utilise them.

Utilise: synonyms:make use of, put to use, use (https://www.google.com.au/search?client=firefox-a&hs=MaZ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=define+use&sa=X&ei=igTuUqeJDpKIogTq3YGgCA&ved=0CC0Q_SowAA), employ (https://www.google.com.au/search?client=firefox-a&hs=MaZ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=define+employ&sa=X&ei=igTuUqeJDpKIogTq3YGgCA&ved=0CC4Q_SowAA), avail oneself of, have recourse to, resort to, look to, bring into service, press into service, take advantage of, exploit (https://www.google.com.au/search?client=firefox-a&hs=MaZ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=define+exploit&sa=X&ei=igTuUqeJDpKIogTq3YGgCA&ved=0CC8Q_SowAA), milk (https://www.google.com.au/search?client=firefox-a&hs=MaZ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=define+milk&sa=X&ei=igTuUqeJDpKIogTq3YGgCA&ved=0CDAQ_SowAA), tap (https://www.google.com.au/search?client=firefox-a&hs=MaZ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=define+tap&sa=X&ei=igTuUqeJDpKIogTq3YGgCA&ved=0CDEQ_SowAA), turn to account, bring into play, bring into effective action, deploy (https://www.google.com.au/search?client=firefox-a&hs=MaZ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=define+deploy&sa=X&ei=igTuUqeJDpKIogTq3YGgCA&ved=0CDIQ_SowAA)

I hope you keep them until they expire of old age unused! :ok:

werbil
9th Feb 2014, 08:38
Beaufort MK 28 also has a spray hood in addition to the crotch strap and heliograph that are not found on a lot of jackets. If you're going to spend time in other than calm water the spray hood will stop you from inhaling salt spray which I understand can cause secondary drowning. I think mine was about $350.

This Beaufort is my second constant wear jacket. I got about six years out of the first - to get even that life out of it I had to get the valise replaced about half life. Admittedly mine was worn daily in commercial ops - they wore where the seat belt shoulder straps ran over them.

The colour makes no difference to comfort. I've had dark blue, yellow and black valises and I couldn't tell the difference. I've worn mine in Beavers, Caravans and an open cockpit Ag Cat in the tropics.

Mine also has a GME GPS PLB in the pocket. If I ever end up swimming I want to spend as little time in the water as possible. Unless you're very lucky it will take at least thirty minutes for a search asset to be on scene from the time of activation. GPS PLB's can pass on your location instantly to a geosynchronous satellite whereas a standard 406 requires passes to be made by polar orbit satellites which can take up to 2 hours in coastal areas of Australia.

T28D
10th Feb 2014, 05:02
The RFD ( Survivitec ) also is SOLS with a spray hood and GPS pocket for under $100

MakeItHappenCaptain
10th Feb 2014, 07:35
I'm about to buy my first Life Jacket. The only three requirements that I have are that it is a "always on", that it is CASA certified and lastly that it is not too expensive.

T28D, pretty sure the one you keep banging on about (the sub $100 RFD one?) is about as compact as Jooliar's arse, does not appear to inflate, has no mention of any aviation certification (SOLAS is a maritime standard and is fine if you're fishing) and only meets the cheap requirement.

If I'm looking at the wrong one, can you chuck up a link?

T28D
10th Feb 2014, 20:58
http://www.rfd.com.au/products/marine/lifejackets/leisure/downloads/275_Cyclone_Owners_Manual_V1.0.pdf

I bought 15 for my yacht just 6 months ago

VH-XXX
10th Feb 2014, 21:51
I bought 15 for my yacht just 6 months ago

Why only 15?

T28D
11th Feb 2014, 00:34
Crew number on IRC cert 13 + 10% for offshore = 15 Capish

Ziggychick
11th Feb 2014, 01:13
A certified, excellent quality LIFE-vest is necessary.

After all the vest is designed to save your LIFE.
How much does that cost?

After a plane crashes, disorientation occurs immediately. A LIFE-vest that is mounted near the Emergency exit, easily accessible and reliable will increase the chance of survival. The notion of placing the vest in the isle of the aircraft is ludicrous. After impact, in the dark while water is rushing in, they get lost. Mount them with a quick Velcro rip off action near the exit. Just a thought.
If people decide to take short-cuts and cut costs when it comes to safety equipment, then they will have to balance on the see-saw of luck.
My LIFE-vest only half inflated when I pulled the toggles, which in turn pushed my neck hard to the right.
I had to hold the patient with my right arm as my left hand had to stop the lifevest pushing my head to the right as it was already injured from impact. This was the situation for 1.5 hours at night in an angry sea.

Be prepared correctly. Learn from others.

Don't mess around with worrying about the cost, it's yours or someone elses' life. Get the good gear.

Stay Safe
Ziggy

MakeItHappenCaptain
11th Feb 2014, 08:50
T28D

That's better. Might look at a couple for my boat too. Thanks.:ok: