PDA

View Full Version : Looking for private single engine flight instructor

Ahmad44
23rd Nov 2013, 21:29
Hi everybody,

I have a PPL + I complete the EASA ATPL theory exams and am looking to build my hours with private instructor in UK and i will pay for each flight
because i will start my CPL course in summer 2014 and i need 70hrs PIC
If there is one is the flight can registered in my log book legally?

Can any one advise me?

S-Works
24th Nov 2013, 07:23
Drop me a pm. If you want to do it over the winter I am quiet at work and have plenty of free time.

nick14
24th Nov 2013, 07:52
If you need the PIC time you would have to be the legal PIC, signing for the aircraft and performing the duties of the commander. If you take an instructor with you then agree with him prior to flight who is PIC.

If you want instruction then you must log Dual and the instructor logs PIC. If he is along for the ride to help you out/give you confidence then as log as he is aware that you are PIC!

Duchess_Driver
24th Nov 2013, 09:57
As nick14 says.

Make sure that the PIC is sorted before the flight and it is he who signs the tech log. If the instructor signs it then he is PIC and you must log dual.

Its a bit of a double edged sword this one, as you want to improve yourself and learn as your flying so you take an instructor with you but, in my opinion, what is far far better for the development of you as a pilot is to sit down with an instructor and develop an hour building programme. That programme should slowly increases the challenge of the flights to stretch your ability and confidence but is carried out solo under the priviliges of your existing licence/ratings.

Far better as you make all the decisions (and mistakes!) without reference to anyone else on board. Thats what being PIC is all about - and as a CPL instructor I don't expect my students to look at me and say 'Should I....?' - what I want to hear is "I am now going to... because...." Command decisions.

Whopity
24th Nov 2013, 10:27
The experience required for the issue of a licence is based on an assumption that a specified number of hours as PIC will mean that a pilot has operated those hours with no supervision or help from a third party. If you are flying with an instructor giving you advise, then no matter what you might log, you are cheating yourself, the system and possibly your future passengers. If you want to fly with an Instructor then you should enrol on an Integrated Course!

Genghis the Engineer
24th Nov 2013, 11:06
In my opinion, regardless of legalities, the last thing you need is to spend all of that hour building with an instructor in the other seat. You need to develop a good level of independence as a nascent professional pilot, and that means flying on your own or with real passengers.

That said, I have a friend who has a reasonably inexpensive PA28 he rents out to hour builders, who also has a couple of instructors he works with should they want mentoring. I know at-least one instructor is very happy to help a pilot create a plan for their pre-CPL hourbuilding, and provide mentoring and feedback on the hourbuilding as they do it. If that's what you are after, drop me a PM and I'll put you in touch.

G

sapperkenno
25th Nov 2013, 14:23
That why I like the FAA way of logging PIC separate to solo, to differentiate between "proper" PIC when you're the only one making all the decisions, or "PIC" (not solo) where there might be someone next to you sharing the workload.
I also wouldn't necessarily slag off someone who had built PIC while flying with an instructor (under FAA reg's) or any other experienced bod who knows what they are doing and mentors the PIC or teaches them new skills... Surely that's better than them burning holes in the sky solo if they have piss poor standards, pay little attention to detail and fly like crap.

S-Works
25th Nov 2013, 14:39
Come on guys. The OP is from Qatar. They want to come to the UK and do some hour building and have taken what I would argue is a very sensible approach to dealing with conditions that are totally different from those at home.

Any Instructor who agreed to fly with the who was worth their salt would ensure the fundamentals are covered and then dip in and out of actually being sat there with them for every flight.

As a CPL Instructor I have seen some pretty piss poor standards arriving on CPL courses for people that have just been out and burned holes in the sky.......

Parson
25th Nov 2013, 14:50
bose-x,

Yes, agree totally. There's alot to be said for structured hour building and even better if some can be done where the CPL training is to be undertaken - get to know the routes, local landmarks etc.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Nov 2013, 07:00
Yes - the OP needs checking out and briefing on the locality. He just doesn't want to be spending a majority of that time with an instructor in the aeroplane.

G

S-Works
28th Nov 2013, 07:22
I guess we should all defer to your vastly greater Instructional experience and qualifications then Ghengis....... :p

Read my original comment, look at the OPs location and look at the big picture rather than just assuming its a UK pilot looking to build hours. Totally different airspace, procedures an RT. Low hours pilot who ultimately wants to do his licence as an EASA licence.

Strikes me as a very smart move seeking mentoring a structured hour building. I agree that he should not have an Instructor sat with him for 70hrs, but neither should he just be checked out and cut loose.

He can do 70hrs that are varied and educational or repeat the same hour 70 times over. I teach CPL and can tell you which of the two gets through the CPL at the highest standard.......

Genghis the Engineer
28th Nov 2013, 10:17
Be nice Bose, I was agreeing with you :=

I have less instructing experience than many, but probably did my CPL recently enough to still remember the learning experience pretty well.

G

S-Works
28th Nov 2013, 11:32
I was blowing the raspberry when I posted...... ;) Just having a bit of fun with you.

Genghis the Engineer
28th Nov 2013, 11:43
Just don't expect me to keep agreeing with you then :E

G

Ahmad44
10th Jun 2014, 00:33
Dear ALL

Sorry I didn't mean that all 70 hrs with instructor only first few hours because i did my previous flight in Europe and was not in UK

Finally thanks everybody for your comments and I did all the hours

Best Regards

foxmoth
10th Jun 2014, 13:25
It might be useful if you can give more info - do you have an aircraft sorted, and where are you looking to do this, if you do not have an aircraft then do you need help with that and what type?
If you are wanting Central Southern UK then I can help.

ShyTorque
10th Jun 2014, 15:57
I think the flying has been completed already..... :ok:

Arfur Dent
16th Jun 2014, 06:17
Wonder what 70 hours with bose would be like with a fuse that short. Sarcasm's always fun too! :ok: - just having a laugh bosey - honest!

S-Works
16th Jun 2014, 07:33
LOL, its fine. It's the problem with the written word, everyone puts there own slant on it when they read which reads things into that are not there.

There are dozens of people on this forum who have flown with and been trained by me, if you can found anyone who has actually flown with me who has a bad word to say about me then I will eat my hat. :ok:

It's the curse of forums I think. :p

Mach Jump
16th Jun 2014, 09:59
...if you can found anyone who has actually flown with me who has a bad word to say about me then I will eat my hat.

Now, there's a challenge! ;)

MJ:ok: