PDA

View Full Version : A320 graduation markings behind thr lvrs

cobravila
23rd Nov 2013, 07:06
This topic has probably been covered previously, I apologize in advance for repetition to those who have been through this before.
Can someone please give me the simple explanation of the purpose for these markings? Are they for pilots or mechanics?
Thanks!

bcgallacher
24th Nov 2013, 09:52
Having never worked on A320, I can only comment that on aircraft I have worked with these graduations are used by maintenance to basically trim the engine to give an EPR or N1 figure commensurate with throttle position. With mechanical throttle systems on P&W engines for example a stop was inserted on the FCU,when the power lever in the cockpit was pushed fully forward to contact the stop, the lever was then adjusted to a given setting.The engine would then be run and adjusted to give the parameters required at that setting. I would imagine that with FBW systems it will be much the same but without the mechanical bit.

FLEXPWR
26th Nov 2013, 17:35
cobravila, can you be more specific? Markings "behind" thrust levers, but behind in reference to what?

TyroPicard
27th Nov 2013, 13:18
Perhaps cobraville means "between" the thrust levers?

bcgallacher
27th Nov 2013, 15:07
I think he is referring to the degree markings on the throttle quadrants.

cobravila
27th Nov 2013, 23:43
Thanks for offering answers even though my description is unclear. Can anyone tell me how to post a picture on this forum so you can see what I'm referring to? I'll take a picture when I fly this afternoon..

Ozlander1
29th Nov 2013, 01:55
Picture must stored on line, i.e Photobucket or the like.
When you are in the reply mode there is an icon (yellow looks like a mountain), clicking that it asks for the url for the location of the picture.
Kind of simple when you get used to it.

cobravila
29th Nov 2013, 06:19
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af11/avirob/IMG_0876_zps2efc5fbc.jpg
Sorry to put you through this, I'm having trouble figuring this out...

bcgallacher
29th Nov 2013, 08:26
These are the degree markings that are used by maintenance for thrust lever rigging as I described in my previous post - I do not think they are used by aircrew for anything.

Ozlander1
1st Dec 2013, 01:41
Yeah, but when you get it right, it works. However, I sometimes have trouble remembering how I did it last time.

dixi188
1st Dec 2013, 06:33
On the A300 some pilots would use these markings on take-off to set the initial N1 prior to triggering the GO lever. IIRC 15 degrees would give you 60% N1.

Jetdriver_JAT
6th Dec 2013, 01:03
It is the TLA

DSC-70-30-20

The thrust levers can only be moved manually.
They move over a sector that is divided into four operating segments.
The sector has five positions defined by detents or stops.
Thrust lever position is transmitted to the FADEC, which computes and displays the thrust rating limit and the N1 for that Thrust Lever Angle (TLA).

Dan Winterland
7th Dec 2013, 13:20
In 6000hrs on the type, I have never referred to them.