PDA

View Full Version : Does IRI need STI?

Needles Crossed
21st Nov 2013, 20:00
Could not find a clear statement as to whether an FI with no applied instrument restriction and who has the appropriate class rating privileges, requires an STI certificate to be able to instruct candidates towards the SPA IR in an FNPT II. Any ideas? :confused:

Whopity
21st Nov 2013, 20:11
FCL.905.FI FI — Privileges and conditions
The privileges of an FI are to conduct flight instruction for the issue, revalidation or renewal of:
(g) an IR in the appropriate aircraft category, provided that the FI has:
(1) at least 200 hours of flight time under IFR, of which up to 50 hours may be instrument ground time in an FFS, an FTD 2/3 or FNPT II;
(2) completed as a student pilot the IRI training course and has passed an assessment of competence for the IRI certificate; and
(3) in addition:
(i) for multi-engine aeroplanes, met the requirements for the issue of a CRI certificate; No requirement to be a STI. If you have had the now defunct "no applied IF" limitation remved, then you have completed the IRI training course.

nick14
21st Nov 2013, 20:58
There is nothing specifically stated in the implementing rule.

I would imagine that as part of any standardisation course (to teach at an ATO for the IR) you would be trained in the use of company sims. As all courses now make use of the sim time to reduce cost for the student (and also perform exercises not permitted in the aircraft or real life scenarios)

Whopity
22nd Nov 2013, 06:59
NC
I may have misread your post an FI with no applied instrument restriction and who has the appropriate class rating privilegesIf you have such a restriction then you cannot teach for an IR. To become an STI to teach on an STD you need the same instructional qualificationAn applicant for an STI certificate shall:
(a) hold, or have held within the 3 years prior to the application, a pilot licence and instructional privileges appropriate to the courses on which instruction is intended;

Needles Crossed
22nd Nov 2013, 17:34
My query actually relates to an instructor who has removed the no applied instrument restriction by completing an IRI course.

I always assumed that an instructor qualified to teach IR students in an airplane can also do so in an FNPT. However I came across the requirements for an STI course which include the necessity to be (or have been) an IRI in the case of an instructor interested in teaching IR students. This took me by surprise as I cannot understand why a current IRI would want to become an STI unless this qualification is needed to instruct in an FNPT! I had a look to see whether the privileges of an FI are documented to extend to an FNPT but cannot find this anywhere!

Whopity
22nd Nov 2013, 18:23
OK I see what you mean. I have heard this bizare interprtetation before as the FI privileges do not mention STDs. The FI privileges refer to instructoin in a specific aircraft category, so if the FNPT falls within that category there is nothing to prevent them from instructing in such a device.