PDA

View Full Version : Class Rating Instructor Minimum Hours

GipsyMagpie
21st Nov 2013, 18:50
I am really interested in doing the CRI (SE) course so I can help out at my club with wobbly prop differences and the aero rating but the 300 hours seems a long way off (another 50 hours). I have bucket loads of helicopter time so is there any way to cross credit? Cannot find any in CAP804. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I am already a heli instructor so teaching isn't new.

nick14
21st Nov 2013, 19:10
Not as far as I can see as the requirements are specifically for the aeroplane category.

300 hrs as a pilot of aeroplanes.

There is credit for licence issue/course hours but beyond that I don't think there is much you can do.

Genghis the Engineer
21st Nov 2013, 22:03
So long as you pass the CRI course and skill test, yes.

G

nick14
22nd Nov 2013, 07:17
The requirement is for 30 hrs as PIC on the applicable class.

The tailwheel and VP are all part of the SEP class and hence can be taught by a CRI as long as they hold the differences.

That is assuming you don't fly any weird and wonderful stuff that needs a separate type rating?

S-Works
22nd Nov 2013, 07:40
Despite meeting the MINIMUM requirements do you really think that at 350hrs you have anything to offer as a CRI? Do you also think that with only 100hrs tailwheel time you are experienced enough to teach tailwheel?

22nd Nov 2013, 07:41
If you go from a CRI to a FI(R), will the hours logged as a CRI count to waive the FI restriction?

mad_jock
22nd Nov 2013, 08:43
I wouldn't have thought so because you are doing a complete different thing.

initial instruction of a new pilot is very different with completely different skill set to that of dealing with a trained pilot.

Its like brie and cheddar cheese type of difference.

nick14
22nd Nov 2013, 09:37
I had 2300 when I did the CRI and found it a challenge.

There is nothing written anywhere to allow credit for the CRI course hours towards the FI.

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Nov 2013, 09:49
A few less hours than Nick, but also 4-figure hours and a CPL when I did CRI, and yes, it was a challenge. On the whole I think I learned more on the CRI course in relatively few hours than considerably longer on the CPL course.

I think that bose is perhaps being a little over conservative however - if somebody is good enough to pass the skill test (and many people have of course passed the FI skill test with less hours) then they are hopefully up to the task. 100 hours is enough, I would hope, to adequately understand and teach tailwheel, if they are a good enough instructor.

But it is a very demanding course, and a very demanding skill test. It really was not, for me at least, a simple box ticking exercise. And then coming up to speed in my first 50ish hours of instructing was also a steep learning curve, in my case happily with the mentoring of a couple of very experienced FIs who were generous with their time and experience.

(Regarding CRI --> FI, there's a small dispensation for some of the groundschool component of the FI course, but that's all. So far as I've been able to find out [as a CRI who'd like to also get FI at some point but not in a hurry] there's no statement one way or the other existing about whether instructional hours as a CRI count towards the requirements for FI(R)-->FI.)

G

S-Works
22nd Nov 2013, 16:38
I had 1200hrs when I did the CRI and still felt I was not really in a position to offer the best to students. I had over 2000hrs when I did the FI course a decade ago.

An FI may get the rating in less hours however the FI is a way more demanding course than a CRI and although I still don't think minimum hours FI's have anything to offer either you should not confuse the training between the two.

squawking 7700
24th Nov 2013, 21:56
I did the course with 325hrs and I'd flown quite a few types but also with some gliding experience.
Had I just been flying Cessna's in a straight line the flying side of the course would've been a shock but having done plenty of stalling & spinning it was good fun.
The other aspect was that I always thought I kept my circuit skills up and PFL's usually practicing something every month so again, when it came to the flying side I didn't find it too difficult.
I did think I'd blown the flying test though but obviously passed.

It pays to have a thorough PPL knowledge, say, know the Trevor Thom books inside out, be up to speed with licencing and revalidation (if anyone can keep up at the moment) and being able to present board briefs with confidence.

In my opinion there's more to it than just hours - empathy, understanding someone else issues adapting your style, applying yourself to the task in hand and plain common sense.

I have a full time job but I do alright with a CRI rating doing some adhoc stuff for two flying schools plus revals for individuals and conversions.
I also use my rating on SLMG's and could also on microlights.

Everyone has to start somewhere despite what some might think.

neilgeddes
25th Nov 2013, 08:03
Can you please say if an EASA Class 2 medical is sufficient? Thanks

Whopity
25th Nov 2013, 08:58
The medical is based on the licence privileges, CPL Class 1; PPL Class 2.

neilgeddes
25th Nov 2013, 09:16
Thank you!