PDA

View Full Version : 767 Engine in Flames at AMS

Fabiol
21st Nov 2013, 04:38
Hello, my first post here and i assume im a SLF and plane lover.
Could you please comment and give your opinions on this case?
The photo was taken by totosflugzeugbilder.de last morning at Amsterdam:

Link : View image: 763 (http://postimg.org/image/h46ix9qot/full/)

Besides the engine in flames, it continued normally to its destination on the other side of the ocean at Paramaribo, Surinam.
Is this normal after so many flames continuing for a transatlantic cross?
Im not here to start a fight neither crucifing/judging the airmen, but only to know and learn with this vast community.
Thank you.

Jet Jockey A4
21st Nov 2013, 12:21
To me those flames are not an "engine Fire" as in the engine is on fire due to mechanical problems but rather some sort of compressor stall that occurred for some reason (bird strike could be a cause) and perhaps sorted itself out shortly after it began.

Interesting pictures none the less. You can see the right engine seems to be producing darker and more engine exhaust smoke prior and after the event although it could be because it was dark (low ambient light) when the pictures were taken.

Now why the crew decided to continue on an overseas trip is not for me to judge because we have no specific information on what actually happened.

Skyjob
21st Nov 2013, 12:24
Were they even made aware of this?
Observed from some people on the ground, but did any controller see and tell them?

Jet Jockey A4
21st Nov 2013, 12:28
I'm pretty sure they would have heard it, felt it because of yaw changes or certainly seen it on the engines gauges.

toffeez
21st Nov 2013, 12:41
Just in case Fabiol has not seen it. This shows professionalism all round - except by the birds:

Thompson fly Mayday full - YouTube

srobarts
21st Nov 2013, 20:33
Incident: Euro Atlantic B763 at Amsterdam on Nov 20th 2013, engine surge on departure, continued across Atlantic (http://avherald.com/h?article=46bcdcc9&opt=0)

Skyjob
21st Nov 2013, 23:04
An Euro Atlantic Airways Boeing 767-300 on behalf of Suriname Airways, registration CS-TFT performing flight PY-993 from Amsterdam (Netherlands) to Paramaribo (Suriname), was in the initial climb out of Amsterdam's runway 24 when the right hand engine emitted a huge bang heard by witnesses on the ground as well as passengers and cabin crew on board of the aircraft and streaks of flame indicative of an engine surge. The crew as well as air traffic control maintained routine communication not mentioning any anomaly whatsoever, the aircraft climbed straight to FL300 without any delay and continued the journey across the Atlantic for a safe landing at Paramaribo about 9 hours later.

I rest my case... No communication

Hotel Tango
22nd Nov 2013, 08:40
How about the fact that the crew assessed the situation and decided that it was perfectly safe to continue - which they did SAFELY. Why do so many uninformed people feel the need to question professionals' actions based purely on evidence from a video?

DaveReidUK
22nd Nov 2013, 08:57
I rest my case... No communicationReports in the Dutch press say that the captain made a PA announcement at the time reassuring passengers that there were no abnormal engine indications and that there was therefore no necessity to return to Schiphol.

Piloot vliegt door van Schiphol na fikse steekvlam - Easy Branches (http://www.easybranches.nl/nieuws/1565598.html)

wiggy
22nd Nov 2013, 09:34
HT & DRUK

:ok:

Jet Jockey

I'm pretty sure they would have heard it, felt it because of yaw changes or certainly seen it on the engines gauges.

Just a FWIW I certainly know of one case where 3 "pop" surges on take-off (actually during the rotate) produced no visible effect on the "gauges" (EICAS). However the Flightcrew sure as heck felt and heard the "pops" and since it was night :eek: they were rapidly made aware by some others on the aircraft and also on the ground that "something" had happened...

It was full power takeoff, hot and high airport, and with a significant cross wind. AFAIK the whole event lasted < 2 seconds, ops were subsequently confirmed as normal by both Flight Deck indications and satcom with the datalink equipped engineers at "Mission Control". I guess despite that some here would suggest that the crew should have thrown the aircraft back on the ground "just in case".

Oh, and it was on a 4 holer - I am not going to get a debate about whether the aircraft continued to destination or not and whether if they continued the rights or wrongs of crossing the Atlantic, if that was involved.........:ok:

spottilludrop
25th Nov 2013, 13:19
FYI HT, Uninformed comment from people who have not a got a clue about real life aviation and spout garbage on the strength of the little they glean from peering through their binos , listening into ATC or playing at being pilots on their computer is what makes this forum what it is ,long may it continue .
If you want informed knowledgable comment from people who actually know what their talking about kindly go elsewhere.:=

Hotel Tango
25th Nov 2013, 17:20
Oh God, don't encourage them!

keesje
3rd Dec 2013, 19:24
The aircraft was grounded in Paramaribo over safety concerns regarding the engine. The return flight PY-994 of Nov 20th was cancelled.

It seems the judgements of the captain during take-off and the airline after this ETOPS flight differed.

Skipness One Echo
3rd Dec 2013, 20:07
Uninformed comment from people who have not a got a clue about real life aviation and spout garbage on the strength of the little they glean from peering through their binos ,
You do *KNOW* that you're a plane spotter right? I mean just to be doubly sure, you're slagging off yourself? Or is your username a joke?

I mean I am fine with being one but you seem rather self loathing for my tastes. I am sure it was all done by the book however most paying customers witnessing that would not likely have been ecstatic about just pootling along their merry way on holiday. I say that as someone who's read more AAIB reports than I care to remember.

* Your Monarch links and obvious digs at spotters are rather reminiscent of the multi profiled and banned kevlarkarl aka simonchowder aka walterthesofty !