PDA

View Full Version : 'We need more wars'

Sun Who
21st Nov 2013, 04:00
This one is priceless: 'We need more wars': Head of controversial private outsourcing firm blames lack of conflict for spectacular collapse in Army recruitment since it took charge - UK Politics - UK - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/we-need-more-wars-head-of-controversial-private-outsourcing-firm-blames-lack-of-conflict-for-spectacular-collapse-in-army-recruitment-since-it-took-charge-8952799.html):ugh:

Sun.

Buster Hyman
21st Nov 2013, 04:17
Crass, maybe, but he has a point.
“Soldiers like to join the Army when they actually have something to do.”
Having said that, surely it's his job to make a role in a Peace time Army more engaging as a career option?

Al R
21st Nov 2013, 06:13
He resigned as Capita Chief Exec on Monday, to rejoin the world of private equity. The shareholders loved him, but time for new blood I think.

He said he saved the taxpayer billions; sure, no sh*t.. I'd save a fortune on my utility bill too, if I removed half the lightbulbs and disconnected most of my radiators. This was the man too, who made a loan to New Labour just before it was elected, and then showed up favourably in the subsequent contract awarding. No implication intended, just very good bids I'm sure.

He avoided the G4S/ Serco style scandals because he was canny enough to have a decent legacy strategy, but the recruiting debacle reminds me of the Congestion Charging screw up, the CRB screw up, the.. in fact, the other week, it decided to close down a pension business it had bought. Behind Pindar and Crapita's money saving soundbite was someone's else's misery and windfall.

I don't suppose he'll mind; his crass performance in the link is evidence of that.

TomJoad
21st Nov 2013, 18:21
If he were a bit more qualified he would be a muppet.

Melchett01
21st Nov 2013, 22:14
And of course, he would be first to give up his cushy existence and trade in his Aston Martin for a rifle and fight in the next war?

Hmmmm, thought not. Private Eye has it right - Crapita rather than Capita.

Robert Cooper
22nd Nov 2013, 03:56
I would have thought that there enough wars going on around the world at the moment. So this idiot wants to start more!

Bob C

Pontius Navigator
22nd Nov 2013, 08:20
1984?

Cows getting bigger
22nd Nov 2013, 08:43
Funnily enough, when CGB joined the RAF in the mid-80s we weren't fighting any wars and the recruiting offices were bulging with wannabees. :rolleyes:

Pontius Navigator
22nd Nov 2013, 08:57
the RAF in the mid-80s we weren't fighting any wars

But we had a threat.

The answer therefore is not more wars but a more realistic appraisal of the threat.

We shall soon have everything in place for early 21st Century expeditionary warfare - long range transports, aircraft carrier, stealthy long range offensive aircraft etc etc.

Now where exactly is that ball again; I may have blinked?

Party Animal
22nd Nov 2013, 09:06
Funnily enough, when CGB joined the RAF in the mid-80s we weren't fighting any wars

With the notable exception of the 'Cold War'. Some of us were flying 24/7, 365 even then. :ok:

Cows getting bigger
22nd Nov 2013, 09:25
I must have been unique. I joined the RAF to see the world, do sport, get paid and do something I loved. Yes, we had those pesky Ruskies to think about but that wasn't my reason for joining. :E

Door Slider
22nd Nov 2013, 09:25
in the mid-80s we weren't fighting any wars and the recruiting offices were bulging with wannabees.

Top Gun was released in 1986........

Hangarshuffle
22nd Nov 2013, 11:10
PN spot on. Global Expeditionary Warfare. Coming to many poor souls in the future and probably sooner than they think. Personally, Im sort of glad people dont join up. Who would want to serve the 21st Century Britain anyway?
What would motivate people join now, I often ask myself?
When you join and serve now, your not actually doing anything in the best interests of the people of the UK, but seem to be a little cheap cog thats partial aim is to make money for a large corporate machine like this chaps.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Nov 2013, 11:19
HS, sorry, I missed the emoticon :(

I was implying that we shall soon have the forces we needed for 2000-2010 except that in 2025 will they be the right ones?

The Old Fat One
22nd Nov 2013, 11:19
CGB

not unique...me too :ok:

Hangarshuffle
22nd Nov 2013, 11:28
Down my way the focus is on food security, energy security. Bigger rich countries here have bought lots of land from poor countries and are starting to farm and export the produce to their own lands and needs. The poor are getting shafted. Yes was probably ever thus I suppose-somewhere along the line we UK will fit in with this - I just wonder and worry upon whose side we will be on, the meek and the poors or the rich and the uncarings? Think I already know.
Your right we will have the tools coming together in part, but not entirely joined up in many ways..we also look like a one trick pony if Im honest.
I sense a sort of revulsion in many young people about the way of the modern world, and perhaps an sense we are no longer doing the right thing, on the right side anymore - hence the downturn among many other reasons for the dip in people wanting to join and serve.