PDA

View Full Version : Question: ATSB final report Hardy Aviation Baron crash January 2006

A37575
20th Nov 2013, 09:44
Have searched through the rather complicated ATSB website with no luck so far, for the Final Report on the accident to a Hardy Aviation B58 Baron in January 2006 at McArthur River Mine. Does anyone know whether an ATSB Final Report was completed and if available, the serial number of that report?
What were the circumstances surrounding the accident?

Old Akro
20th Nov 2013, 09:51
Investigation: AO-2006-004 - Aircraft loss of control, 4 km E McArthur River Mine Aerodrome, NT, 19 January 2006, VH-MNI, Beech Aircraft Corp 58 (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2006/aair/ao-2006-004.aspx)

Jabawocky
20th Nov 2013, 10:07
OK.....I take that all back.

Now how the heck did you find that Akro because I searched pretty hard I thought.

:sad:

PLovett
20th Nov 2013, 10:12
There was a fairly extensive thread running on this august forum at the time. Not that it will add much but I'm sure a search will drag it out of the archives.

Jabawocky
20th Nov 2013, 10:49
Reading that....makes you think how easy it is to bite the dust. :sad:

Old Akro
20th Nov 2013, 19:54
Now how the heck did you find that Akro because I searched pretty hard I thought.

The ATSB search function is cr@p. I mean, it is really, really terrible. But when you've used it a bit you get a feel of the Byzantine manner in which it works. I've also used the same search string and had different results on different occasions, so there may have been some luck.

I'm often impressed when I read American Flying magazine and someone like Richard Collins or Peter Garrisson will write on a subject and illustrate the point by saying in the last x years there have been x accidents of a particular type. Its completely impossible to do a similar interrogation of the ATSB data.

Volumex
20th Nov 2013, 20:28
Try using google with "site:atsb.gov.au" in the search string, as well as your search terms.
This narrows the search to the atsb website.
eg "baron 2006 site:atsb.gov.au" would find this accident.

Old Akro
21st Nov 2013, 23:06
I'm not sure that searching on Baron would yield a result. One of the problems with the ATSB is that there is no consistency with their nomenclature. For instance, I searched on Beechcraft without success. In this instance they have called it a Beech Aircraft Corp 58 aircraft. Unless you listed one of those exact terms, you'll get zip.

VH-XXX
21st Nov 2013, 23:22
They need to add some tags into each article so that the search can find it. A fair amount of work would be required to fix that problem unfortunately and I can see that happening any time soon.

compressor stall
22nd Nov 2013, 01:42
Volumex is on the money.

You could also use MacArthur River in his search string and it will pull up reports with it in the document - of which there are a few.

Google is a very powerful search tool - more powerful than most websites' search engines. In fact, many website don't let you search three letter terms. Using Volumex's search string, one can search websites for three letter words.

A37575
25th Nov 2013, 10:49
Old Akro and others. Thanks for the replies. I found what I wanted. Someone had earlier informed me the Baron had hit terrain conducting a circling approach. The ATSB report says nothing about this. Looks like for some reason the pilot allowed the Baron to stall in the circuit.

runway16
26th Nov 2013, 08:21
I understand that this accident is the reason that ASA now quiz VFR pilots cancelling their SARtime by asking what is the SARtime and location.
ASA is trying to ascertain that the person cancelling the plan is in fact the pilot.