PDA

View Full Version : CASA vs AMSA

Old Akro
19th Nov 2013, 23:06
I don't understand much about AMSA, but it seems to manage its affairs without the angst, antagonism to industry, senate scrutiny or constant regulatory reform of CASA.

They both have similar operating incomes. The General shipping register lists about 12,000 vessels (similar to the number of aircraft on CASA's register) except that it has small vessel registration handled by state car registration authorities (I guess like CASA subcontracts LSA to the RAA). Both have international co-ordination activities, both have crew licensing. Both deal with small tourist operators (is a tourist yacht operation much different than a tourist scenic flight operation?).

AMSA has a SAR role that CASA doesn't and AMSA has an environment responsibility (ie oil spills, etc) that CASA doesn't. CASA has a larger high volume passenger responsibility (there are more airliners than ocean liners), but that's probably a scale issue more than a skill issue.

Maybe I just don't mix in maritime circles, but I've never heard of 5pm Friday faxes from AMSA. I can't recall 4 corners programms devoted to them. I can't recall reading newspaper articles about enquiries into their activities. I can't recall any instances of allied overseas agencies criticising AMSA's performance.

Does anyone have a perspective of both organisations?

T28D
19th Nov 2013, 23:23
Sure do, AMSA are a pleasure to deal with as an offshore racing sailor with International experience I find them always helpful, they hold quite frequent user seminars then after they poll the attendees to see what value they got from the AMSA input. The RCC in Canberra are really great people, rarely fussed and very efficient.

Contrast this with CASA, unhelpful to the point of being interfering and aggressive, no use of effective feedback, what more can I say ?????

Cactusjack
20th Nov 2013, 01:26
Agreed. I have had close dealings with AMSA and NOPESMA. Both are regulatory bodies, so there is the standard bureaucratic challenges, however I found both to be very easy to work with, and the 'bullying' crap you get from CAsA is non existent. Actually both organisations do exactly what they are paid to do - regulate their respective industry, work with industry to achieve safer outcomes, improved processes and practises and foster transparency.
And don't forget that Kym Bills is on the NOPESMA Board, which should tell you something.
This thread has got me thinking. If CAsA reform is truly on the agenda of Government then Mr Truss and his band of footstools should go take a look at AMSA and NOPESMA and get a few ideas :ok:

Jabawocky
20th Nov 2013, 02:04
This could scuttle my Kiwi subcontract idea. Scrap CASA completely and give AMSA the job.

I know one bloke there who knows a fair bit about aviation. I should ask him what he thinks. :E

Andy_RR
20th Nov 2013, 03:03
Give them oversight of the red-light districts as well and form the AFFFSA

Freewheel
20th Nov 2013, 04:43
The very fact that AUSSAR is the responsibility of AMSA and covers both maritime and aviation SAR tasks should speak volumes.

bankrunner
20th Nov 2013, 05:15
VH-WJC is a good reminder of why CASA isn't responsible for SAR.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24698/198302284.pdf

Jabawocky
20th Nov 2013, 09:27
Dear Mr Truss,

Can I strongly urge you to consider with the utmost careful consideration taking a stroll over to the AMSA offices and ask them how they could be entrusted with the future civial aviation regulation and safety promotion. With a special emphasis on scrapping EVERYTHING in all the CAR's CASR's and anthing else for that matter.

My suggestion is this could be implemented in parallel, and then at the 12 month point (all they would need to gear up) dispense with the current regulator.

Best Regards

Jaba!:ok:

gerry111
20th Nov 2013, 13:00
I've heard a rumour that one of the AMSA boys or girls is actually a competent GA pilot. And that he/she flies regularly...

sprocket check
20th Nov 2013, 13:12
Probably not such a bad idea. It could save the guvmint gazillions if it's run by AMSA.

Just had a look at their Annual Report. The culture in that organisation is definitely leaning towards the progressive and collaborative, rather than prescriptive. Seems like they have managed to step into the 21st century Rules -new maritime Act within a couple of years?!?!

dubbleyew eight
20th Nov 2013, 15:15
rumours are interesting....

dont know the validity of these but was told that CASA is now a section under the Department of Transport and Regional Services (DOTARS)

that the head of casa has been replaced.

that the regulatory rewrite will be with us for years yet.

maybe things are changing.

what I cant understand, If ICAO is based in Montreal they have all around them in canada a decade of Canadian Owner Maintenance experience. why the hell cant we get Canadian Owner Maintenance here in Australia?
The Damage By aeroplanes act 1999 certainly creates it by default.