PDA

View Full Version : CPL/ME-IR in USA

kmjame
19th Nov 2013, 14:57
Hello all,

Some advise is needed please.
I am a current New Zealand PPL holder looking into options to further my training and entertaining the option of the USA on price point, weather and personal reasons.
Is this something NZ students have done in the past? Gone out and got the FAA ticket and brought it back to convert? Or even stay and find work after all the red tape of work visas etc?
So first question to all you folk is; Should I be looking into this as an option? Pros vs Cons.
Hour building seems to be a whole bunch cheaper also.
Thanks in advance.

Jack Ranga
19th Nov 2013, 20:42
If I had my time again I'd be there in a heartbeat!

gear up job
20th Nov 2013, 01:14
Couldn't agree more with Jack Ranga,

I went from PPL to CPL ME/IR in less than 8 months in USA. The best time ever in my life. Very good people and i had alot of fun flying cross country building hrs.

If i were you, i would be starting to look at a start date and a flying school ASAP. In terms of the school, make sure you its a FAA approved Part 141 school. Very important when it comes to convert your license back in Nz.

All in all, all the best lad.

T28D
20th Nov 2013, 06:03
Go to the U.S. not only is it more economical the general standard of training in the U.S. is much better than Aust and in particular the defensive flying training ( how not to kill yourself ) is much better, the U.S. actually teaches low speed handling to a much higher standard than the hit and miss approach here.

You will also be much more aware of proper Instrument Procedural Flying, the U.S. has proper aids and uses them well, also weather there can be more demanding on pilot training and skill, you will learn heaps about icing and shoot more Instrument approaches than you ever would or could here.

A U.S. ATP is recognised world wide, how long the Aust ATPL will be is open to conjecture but the way CASA is going my guess is not much longer !!!!!!

DeltaT
20th Nov 2013, 07:52
Try and marry an American girl while you are there and get the Green Card so you can stay. There will be far more opportunity there than down this way.

wild goose
20th Nov 2013, 09:26
Fully agree with previous posters.
Another excellent reason to do it is the cost.
In Australasia the cost is outrageous.
For example, a school in fort pierce, Florida charges $US300/hr dual on a beech duchess twin.
When it comes to time building, one can rent a single for $US130/hr.
The FAA allows hours to be logged by both pilots when flying IFR so if you file, you can split that and you end up paying half that.
Just check how the NZCAA consider those safety pilot hours.

kmjame
22nd Nov 2013, 18:38
Thank you all for the informative and positive reply's! It just looks like a much more appealing option no matter which way I look at it! Cheers for the approved Part 141 school advice. That was what I was looking for and its that whole process of conversion that I was a little worried about but seems it can be done and lots of people are planning on doing this sort of thing.
Cheers fellas, time to narrow down a school!!
Exciting times ahead.