PDA

View Full Version : Best pilot 'role'

Okavango
19th Nov 2013, 11:47
Not thinking about just earning a crust from flying, but what are peoples preferences and most rewarding roles in civilian flying and why (add any other roles to the initial list as you see fit):

Glider Towing
Aerial Photography
Instructing
Parachute Dropping
Aerial Survey
Scenic Flights
Crop Dusting
Air Taxi
Ferry Flying
Air Ambulance
Police Helicopter
Airline Flying

vasterlund
19th Nov 2013, 19:40
Glider towing!!
Many T/O and landnings, lots of traffic (depending on club), no radio (on my club) which means that you learn how to in a effective way scan the sky for other a/c, power off landings from different altitudes and much more!
So much experience and I don't regret a day as a Towing pilot!

Luke SkyToddler
20th Nov 2013, 00:39
It's 10% type of job and 90% how good is your employer.

The best job overall would probably be flying a bizjet or helo for a really nice private billionaire owner, the kind who treats you with respect. Or, holding a high seniority number in a US major.

But, flying the exact same aircraft for a low paying poor treating scumbag of an employer, can be hell on earth.

Jwscud
20th Nov 2013, 10:09
If we're talking dream job, flying the BAS Twin Otters in Antarctica.

Swept
20th Nov 2013, 10:21
For those of us lucky enough to have had a go, military fast-jet takes some beating. I know hours are sparce at the minute which might take the shine off it but theres nothing better than 100ft (Operational Low Flying height) in the Scottish Highlands at 450kts as you turn around Eilean Donan Castle (of Highlander fame).

Im looking forward to having a go at an Airbus/Boeing cockpit so ill compare it to that when I get the chance!

sapperkenno
20th Nov 2013, 10:32
I am enjoying moonlighting as an FI at the moment. Also nice being FAA qualified and getting to occasionally have a go in some nice privately owned stuff with an N on the back.

Halfwayback
21st Nov 2013, 16:43
This thread is more suited to Facebook than a professional pilots' site so I am closing it.

HWB