PDA

View Full Version : Giving out SS Number

Rim-job
18th Nov 2013, 13:12
To my fellow Americans…

Has anyone been required to give out their SS Number while residing in Dubai? I'm applying for a loan from the bank and they tell me they require my SS digits. Just wondering if this is a one off or have others been required to give it out in similar situations. Its not exactly something you want to pass around feel.

I've checked online and nothing references any requirement to give it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

BobDole
18th Nov 2013, 14:55
Never been asked... I wouldn't give it anyways. They have no need for it and the "credit system" here is just a signed blank check. Don't pay, then they cash it and you end up in the slammer.

What bank is asking? I'd switch banks if they pulled that one on me.

Buford
18th Nov 2013, 15:26
It probably has to do with soon to be enacted tax policies that come into effect in 2014. If a financial institution has financial dealings within the US of any kind they are required to report to the US govt. the existence of accounts held by all Americans in their non-US branches. This is probably to be in compliance with that. I think Americans will no longer be able to bank anywhere without the US gov't knowing about it. Perhaps we'll all be banking with the Bank of Baroda or Bank Melli sooner or later.....

40&80
18th Nov 2013, 16:01
Bank Melli Iran in Bahrain was the only Bank in my time there with private individual safety deposit box facilities..they charged 15 BD a year.

KATLPAX
18th Nov 2013, 16:45
I think Buford is correct. I had to file forms w the IRS for the first time this year listing all accounts I have in the UAE. I have heard that some banks will turn away Americans as they have no wish to comply with the overly complicated reporting process...

Old King Coal
18th Nov 2013, 17:01
One might well reflect upon the actions of the Boston Tea Party’s rebellion (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Tea_Party), wrt a tyrannical taxation being levied upon them by an overseas power... and then compare that with how I, as a British citizen, presently pay zero tax on any of my overseas income. Oh the irony of it all ?!

TangoUniform
18th Nov 2013, 18:23
King, Beautiful, just priceless. :ok::ok::ok:

Taylor01
18th Nov 2013, 18:46
Why the f#%k would you give any of these idiots your SSN. Just move on to the next bank. And to one of the previous posters, why the heck would you tell anyone from the USA especially the IRS what bank accounts you have??? Dumb ass move if you ask me. :ugh

filejw
19th Nov 2013, 00:30
Taylor,
If the bank wants to do business in the the US they will have no choice after Jan 1.That why some foreign bank don't want to do business with US citizens starting next year.

BobDole
19th Nov 2013, 01:32
Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)

Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR) (http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Report-of-Foreign-Bank-and-Financial-Accounts-FBAR)

Dubaian
19th Nov 2013, 03:49
Misread that post as FUBAR.....

Or maybe not ? ;)

Rim-job
19th Nov 2013, 09:08
Thanks for the responses guys…

I'll have to do some more research but it looks like I might have to comply and give this info out. It sucks that the US gov't have a hand in s&#t that has nothing to do with them.

Gotta love Uncle Sam. :ugh:

v1r8
19th Nov 2013, 14:47
The blessing of having both an EU and US passport ! Guess which one I would use in this case! :D

Taylor01
19th Nov 2013, 16:00
I will never have over $10000 in any account. End of discussion!:ok:

Boeingrestricted
21st Nov 2013, 10:12
The fact that you have a dual citizenship does not relief you from your tax obligation. Since you for the time being will not be taxed in Europe on earnings, explicitly means that you will HAVE to pay tax in the US. You can not hide behind the agreements that EU/US have, regarding dual taxation treaties. As a matter of fact dual citizenship exposes an individual to more rules and regulations, you have less rights but more obligations :ugh:. And this is for the time being, because this will change in the EU as well in the, I would say foreseeable future. You will get taxed as well. the herds will pay any way. Nobody asks the question/request. WHY? or 'I want to have a free choice' of the like 'I don't want any of your services and I don't want to pay any of your taxes' or having the option to declare oneself a 'sovereign citizen'
etc. etc. etc. Until then you WILL pay unless you are prepared to dodge and bear with the consequences.: suspect:
Oh and taylor01 the article explicitly implies any amount over 10000$ at any given time, no duration required for availability.

Taylor01
21st Nov 2013, 15:56
As I said I never have over $10000 at any time in any account!