PDA

View Full Version : How hard to bend a firewall

Flanker978
17th Nov 2013, 21:39
Hi Guys,
I observed another PPL nose wheel 1st a 182 recently as a waited at the thresehold.
It didn't look too bad, he looked just a bit late of roundout, so the nose wheel kind of seemed to run along the ground before coming up again and settling on mains.
Anyhow, it got me thinking, how hard does the hit have to be to bend the firewall. And as I hire aircraft, how do I check for firewall integrity?

Genghis the Engineer
17th Nov 2013, 21:47
I think it's near impossible to tell how much load generically is needed to damage a firewall, because it's so dependent upon the loading pattern, and the individual design.

How to check for integrity? Have a good hard look at it visually with the cowlings open.

In general however, the firewall carries very little load - the bits I'd worry about getting damaged are the carry through engine mounts and airframe structural components. Even if there are bends or ripples in a firewall, that in itself doesn't compromise it as a firewall - although it may well be indicative of damage elsewhere.

And of course, if in doubt, have it checked by local and suitably qualified maintenance staff.

G

Cows getting bigger
18th Nov 2013, 06:49
It's normally the second bounce that does it, just about the same time as the propeller gets modified!

GtE has it. If the firewall is bent you would also need to check inside the cockpit, notably the footwell area (take the carpets out). On the 172/182 I've seen this floor area damaged as far back as the seat rails. :eek:

longer ron
18th Nov 2013, 09:13
Many years ago at an RAF airfield near Abingdon - a solo Bulldog student messed up his landing somewhat - he damaged the nosewheel support structure and had a propstrike ! ..... so (good man) - he did a roller and found that his rudder was jammed :ok:
ISTR that he had pushed up the structure so much he had bent the nosewheel steering rod(s).
Successfully landed next time round :)

Genghis the Engineer
18th Nov 2013, 10:42
Many years ago at an RAF airfield near Abingdon - a solo Bulldog student messed up his landing somewhat - he damaged the nosewheel support structure and had a propstrike ! ..... so (good man) - he did a roller and found that his rudder was jammed :ok:
ISTR that he had pushed up the structure so much he had bent the nosewheel steering rod(s).
Successfully landed next time round :)

I think I may have been there at the time. Did he also puncture the sump and dump most of his engine oil on the runway?

G

OpenCirrus619
18th Nov 2013, 12:52
Successfully landed next time round

Did the Queen "buy him another aeroplane" - or did he just carry on doing circuits in the bent one?

OC619

longer ron
18th Nov 2013, 21:54
Cannot remember exactly what year but between 1980 - 83 (my last tour)
I cannot even remember what Cat the damage was assessed as,sfunny how patchy the memory is :).
Sorry G I cannot remember if the sump was damaged...he did a successful landing from the next circuit I believe.