PDA

View Full Version : Career prospects with (OML restriction)

Andy-00
17th Nov 2013, 12:57
Hi,

Could I please kindly ask for some debate as to what professional pilot career opportunities are open to me with an OML (operational multi-crew limitation) against an EASA Class 1 medical?

I'm a Type 1 diabetic operating under the new EASA med. diabetic protocol and wish to peruse a professional flying career. But with an OML restriction, I understand this can limit my options some what :ugh:.

Thanks.

Denti
17th Nov 2013, 15:08
Nothing absolute i guess, there might be always ways to get into the business. But starting out with an OML restriction is probably very very hard if not impossible. If one is already flying for an airline when he gets that restriction, at least within that airline career prospects are nearly completely normal.

Thomas coupling
21st Nov 2013, 09:12
Hi Andy: I myself have an OML. I have thrashed this subject to death as I hear about more and more colleagues coming across it, unfortunately.
My research over 7 years of heavy discussions with the insurance and aviation industries suggests that someone starting off with an OML is almost always impossible to employ.
This is mainly due to a duty of care issue - putting you in harms way when they or you for that matter don't need to do that and secondly because there is always someone else who doesn't have an OML.
It's a painful fact of reality even though it could be classified as discrimination but we are talking real world here and not some theoretical HR hype.
The traversty is that an established pilot could get a flying job with an OML dependent on their circumstances and that part of the industry they are currently in (Airlines/corporate/Instructing etc). But a newbie wouldn't be touched with a barge pole.

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news........

Andy-00
24th Nov 2013, 10:40
Thank you for your posts. I guessed as much that for a pilot to achieve what I'm considering from scratch, it would be challenging at the least.

Without wishing to dismiss it all together, could I have an opinion...

If I were to pursue "the goal" of a flying career, I'd like to do the CPL(H) financed by one's self of course. But with OML, what multi-crew rotary roles are out there? Obviously Police and Air Ambulance would be likely dismissed (single pilot roles) so what's available? :)

Thanks.

Thomas coupling
26th Nov 2013, 21:44
Well your CPL(H) would be worthless without an IR for MC (Multi Crew).
So all in all you are looking at £80k+.
Then armed with the correct quals your options for flying as multi crew are:
Offshore.
Corporate.
Both of which wouldn't entertain licence restricted pilots.

It's bad enough out there getting ANY job, let alone a multi crew job, let alone one which accepts OML.
I would rate your prospects as: ZERO.:ugh:

There - I have just saved you £80k........you're welcome.