PDA

View Full Version : EK and maintaining your original licence

south coast
17th Nov 2013, 09:31
Could those of you with EASA licences who have joined EK explain how you keep your original licence current.

I believe you have to covert to a UAE licence and also do a medical, so each year an IR renewal is done on the UAE licence, how do you keep your original, EASA licence or whatever other it may be current?

Just curious as perhaps one day you may want to leave EK and interested to know how you keep a licence to come back to current if no IR renewals have been done by your issuing authority.

Also, is the rating put in your UAE licence or also on your original licence?

Thanks

Gulfstreamaviator
17th Nov 2013, 11:28
You are not converting a licence, but getting a validation.

So you keep your original licence.

Regarding keeping your EASA Licence ane IR and TR valid...see major posts here.

But if you have a EASA certified Examiner doing your GCAA checks, a small beverage of choice works wonders.....

glf

BANANASBANANAS
18th Nov 2013, 03:38
Good advice above. If I can add my own dirhams worth. There is an issue with maintaining a UK EASA licence if the type you are flying at EK is not endorsed on your UK EASA licence. And it's not necessarily a straightforward process to get it endorsed. You will need to be assessed for a course of training by an EASA TRTO and have to carry out (as a minimum) an LPC in an EASA approved sim with an EASA TRE.

I am not sure how easy or possible that might be in Dubai, but one way around it is to transfer the state of registry of your UK EASA licence to another EASA state who will automatically give you the type rating you are flying at EK with the restriction of valid on A6 registered aircraft only. This allows you to keep your EASA licence current for any future return to EASA land.

As a side note, I thought the whole idea of EASA was to create a Pan European licensing system with one set of rules throughout but that is not the case and certain National Authorities are imposing more stringent interpretations than others.

south coast
18th Nov 2013, 07:10
Thanks Bananas and GA for the info.

Regarding EASA, isn't that the whole European project problem, they all want to be united until it means surrendering some national regs or laws or beliefs, then it returns back to caveats for individual countries because one believes they are better or more safe than another.

It's why the whole European project is doomed to failure.

Old King Coal
18th Nov 2013, 07:53
It's my understanding that if your Type Rating course was conducted by CAE, e.g. here in Dubai, that they can issue you with a Course Completion Certificate and (given that CAE is a worldwide organisation, with common standards throughout) that said same Certificate should be good for the purposes of the UK CAA, i.e. treated just the same as if you'd done the course at CAE in LGW.

It's also the case that a variety of CAE's sims are approved by the UK CAA, and thus any check you do in those sims, e.g. UK CAA approved sims here in Dubai, would be just as valid as if those sims were located in the car park of the Belgrano at Gatwick.

CAE also have a number of TRE's whom are approved, by EASA, to conduct the tests, wherein a seemingly major requirement is that an application for test is made (by the TRE) and that 'standards' document (the specific number of which escapes me for the moment?) for the check is downloaded (from your home authority) and is referenced during the check in the sim.

You also need a valid UK CAA Class 1 Medical (Dr.Akel can provide that here in Dubai), and you had also better make sure that the UK CAA are informed of your current address, i.e. here in Dubai.

... at least that's MY understanding of it?! :}

BANANASBANANAS
18th Nov 2013, 10:22
Certainly seems reasonable OKC. Of course the devil is in the detail. Ensuring that the next OPC is conducted in a CAE EASA approved sim, by an EASA approved TRE and that sufficient notice is available for all the necessary pre sim admin to be properly squared away.

In my case, my LPC initial issue didn't tick the necessary CAE approved sim box so it wasn't an option for me at the time.

N1 Limit
18th Nov 2013, 21:57
I have almost a similar question,perhaps Old King Coal can help on it.I'm currently an FO on the 737NG and did my FAA ATP theory exam last month,i hold an ICAO licence and don't have any FAA,however i'd like to do the FAA checkride on the 737NG sim so that i can get the 737NG endorsed on my FAA ATP,can that be done in CAE Dubai?if so what are the modalities.I look forward to your replies

falconeasydriver
19th Nov 2013, 04:30
Ok heres how I did.

Original license, expired JAA ATPL

Got a new EASA medical, presented at the Belgrano got a shiny new EASA license with "level 6" on it.
Converted to an Irish Version...IR now valid (after providing the paperwork from my last PPC) for "EK Aircraft only"
Home license now valid and current.
One bit of advice, keep your home license medical separate from your GCAA one...there are a few weird Docs here in Dubai.

BANANASBANANAS
19th Nov 2013, 04:41
That's exactly how I am doing it too. And the guys in Dublin actually pick up the phone so you can talk to a human being rather than listen to a computer telling you that you are 17th in the queue.:ok: