PDA

View Full Version : Training hours and exams completed outside UK

loggie1983
17th Nov 2013, 07:33
Morning all

I have had a look through LASORS through the CAA website and cannot find what I'm looking for.

Currently out in Cyprus and due to leave in February. Conducting my PPL training here, quite a way through it and should have all the hours completed. My only worry is the ground exams, should I fail a couple and run out of time before I return to the UK, will and of my flight hours / ground exams taken cross over to the UK, leaving me with just a little finish of remaining exams plus flight test?

Thanks in advance, I really hope I shall have it all done, but just I case.

Regards

BEagle
18th Nov 2013, 08:27
The relevant requirement is stated in the Aircrew Regulation:

FCL.025 Theoretical knowledge examinations for the issue of licences

(a) Responsibilities of the applicant

(1) Applicants shall take the entire set of examinations for a specific licence or rating under the responsibility of one Member State.

Hence you should make it a priority to complete all theoretical knowledge exams before leaving Cyprus.

Even better if you can complete all requirements and apply for your PPL before you leave - then it would simply be a matter of applying to the CAA for transfer of State of Licence issue to the UK for you to be issued with a PPL over here. See CAP 804 ( http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%20804%20searchable.pdf ) Part I Section 3 Part A para 3.

Incidentally, 'LASORS' is now obsolete and has been replaced by CAP 804.

soaringhigh650
18th Nov 2013, 09:10
then it would simply be a matter of applying to the CAA for transfer of State of Licence issue to the UK for you to be issued with a PPL over here

Practically speaking, is there any difference? Isn't everyone being issued with EASA licenses now?

BEagle
19th Nov 2013, 07:19
Practically speaking, is there any difference?

1. It will make revalidation of medical requirements simpler if the State of Licence issue is transferred to the MS in which the pilot normally lives.

2. An IR(R) may be included in a CAA-issued EASA PPL, but not in one issued elsewhere.

3. Adding other ratings / certificates (e.g. night, CRI or FI) should be simpler in the State of Licence issue as the NAA holds all other records.

S-Works
19th Nov 2013, 07:22
I seem to recall and stand to be corrected.... But Cyprus use the UK CAA papers and are overseen by the UK CAA. So the exams and training should be fine.

BEagle
19th Nov 2013, 09:09
Flight crew licensing in Cyprus is the responsibility of the Licensing section of DCA's Safety Regulation Unit, not the UK CAA.

S-Works
19th Nov 2013, 15:38
I am still 99% certain that they use the UK CAA exam papers though. I will check as I have a student we took on from Cyprus who started in Pathos and finished with us.

loggie1983
24th Nov 2013, 10:59
That's all great thanks. I need to speak with my instructor and confirm exactly what licence I'm going for? I know even though I'm on Cyprus at the moment the medical examiner issued me with a class 2 UK JAR or JAA certificate. My main worry was if I run out of time to complete my exams, only one sitting a month, that I may loose all my flight hours I have already completed. Was worried that if I had completed all 45, which I should, the UK. May tell me I can only carry so many over.

Thanks again, will sit down with my instructor this week coming to confirm things.