PDA

View Full Version : Going Flying again after a 10 year break!

solent
16th Nov 2013, 21:23
Hello!

Could I trouble you for advice please, I got my JAR PPL (A) back in 2002 and used it up until end 2004 but would like to get flying again as it's close on 10 years since I last exercised my license.

Of course I need a medical but what am I looking at when it comes to flight training and perhaps taking basic exams again?, any advice would be appreciated!

I would ultimately like to go on and be a commercial pilot but one step at a time.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

Ulster
16th Nov 2013, 21:34
Of course I need a medical . . . . . . . .

I would ultimately like to go on and be a commercial pilot

To go commercial you will need a class 1 medical (all now EASA), which means a trip to Aviation House at Gatwick for an initial class 1. If you have previously had class 2 medicals, just from AME's, you are well advised to get that done before committing to any further trouble or expense !

solent
16th Nov 2013, 21:39
Hi Ulster,
Thanks for that I did hold a Class 1 previously but yes of course will be getting that one done right away before embarking on other serious costs.
Thanks
Solent

AdamFrisch
16th Nov 2013, 22:09
You need a review/BFR/Check/whatever they call it in the UK these days. I redid my pre-JAA license (it was grandfathered in) this way. When I did it there was no need to do exams again, just go flying and then have a review from a FI. Doesn't have to be a CAA examiner either. Rather user friendly.

MrAverage
17th Nov 2013, 09:50
Sorry Adam,

Solent will need an LPC with an examiner. His chosen provider's HOT also has to assess what minimum re-training is required before that flight.

Whopity
17th Nov 2013, 10:16
Doesn't have to be a CAA examiner either. Rather user friendly. Then you did not have a valid licence at the end of the process. There has never been a situation in the UK where you can renew a rating without a test!

Ulster
17th Nov 2013, 10:17
Thanks for that I did hold a Class 1 previously

If it's a break of ten years you will still need to go back to the Belgrano for another initial class 1. AME's are generally only allowed to renew where a lapse is of five years or less. Having said that, if you were class 1 fit then, and if nothing much has changed, then there shouldn't be much doubt about the next time ! :)

AdamFrisch
17th Nov 2013, 17:51
Then you did not have a valid licence at the end of the process. There has never been a situation in the UK where you can renew a rating without a test!

It was a test, but he was my FI and an examiner. But he was not employed by CAA.

EddieHeli
17th Nov 2013, 18:22
I thought I read somewhere that under the new EASA licence regime you have to do the whole course again if you have a lapse of over 5 years.

vancouv
20th Nov 2013, 16:53
So what about the written exams? I would have thought after 10 years you would need to retake those.

I'm in a similar position, and I seem to remember being told if it was more than 5 years since your license expired you would effectively need to start again. This was JAA time, so could all be different now of course.

GgW
20th Nov 2013, 17:21
So what about the written exams? I would have thought after 10 years you would need to retake those.

You have already done them,no need to redo the 9 PPL exams. Its training as required and a LPC.

As far as I know, Only when a IR has expired for more than 7 years then you will have to retake the exams.

wb9999
20th Nov 2013, 20:18
Under JAR, the only exam you needed to resit was Communications if your FRTOL had expired by more than 5 years. No idea if that's still the case under EASA.