PDA

View Full Version : CASA Ethics Brochure

Dick Smith
15th Nov 2013, 05:24
I’ve just been looking back at the forty or so changes I made when I was involved with CAA/CASA and I noticed an amazing one.

“developed and published and sent to CASA offices throughout Australia a poster to ensure consistent treatment of the aviation industry and a code of ethics that was to become CASA policy”.

It appears a poster was published which stated (amongst other things) that there were three CASA principles: common sense, due process and compliance with the law. I understand the poster was sent to CASA offices throughout Australia.

Can anyone remember this poster? Does anyone have a copy of it?

thorn bird
15th Nov 2013, 07:34
The only "Ethic" that CAsA abides by is much the same that drives the Pollies.

1. Stay in power no matter who you have to back stab.
2. Spend as much taxpayer money as possible to defend
the indefensible ensuring you are NEVER wrong.
3. Protect bonuses and entitlements at all cost.
4. Engineer as many overseas junkets as possible.
5. Work tirelessly to leave CAsA as a consultant doing half the work for
twice the salary, or failing that, produce regulations that ensure you
have a nice retirement job as the only approved delegate.

and meanwhile across the ditch..................

Paragraph377
15th Nov 2013, 09:52
Dick, if you get one did you plan to post it to the ICC as a Xmas present?
I believe most would have been used as toilet paper, but I'll tell you what, I know a few of the old timers and may be able to rustle one up for you but in return you will have to give me say 10 000 free shares from your IPO :ok:

P.S The acronym CASA and the word ethics really don't mix well.

Dick Smith
17th Nov 2013, 09:21
Did anyone ever sight one?

Ascend Charlie
17th Nov 2013, 18:43
Come on, girls, it was a simple question, and now you are all out to poke Dick in the eye about something.

I for one am glad he made a lot of those changes, no more 2 minute estimates on full SAR flight plans to go from Sydney to Bankstown, the freedom of the helicopter lanes to move around Sydney, the Australian Geographic, the crunchy peanut butter, the breakfast cereal that Coles doesn't stock any more...:8

Paragraph377
17th Nov 2013, 19:29
It's all a bit rich, a simple question about CASA posters and now Dick is getting a flogging. It would be nice to see Dick given a hand, rather than seeing Dick abused, but I guess it is the Australian way! But you have to ask yourself 'is it really that hard to stand beside Dick and give him some firm support'?

Dick, I am sure someone will give you a hand with the job you are undertaking, it will be interesting to see the outcum of your research. :ok:

Torres
17th Nov 2013, 20:12
I don't recall the poster and wonder if any CASA office ever displayed it?

"CASA will do all it can to ensure that a person whose licence, certificate or authority is suspended or cancelled has ready access to full external merits review in the AA T. Once before the AA T, CASA will conduct itself as a model litigant."
CASA, in a document entitled: "A new approach to enforcement". March, 1989.

But I recall the words of one prominent person involved with and frustrated by the CAA/CASA at that time, which more correctly defines CAA/CASA policy:

"Anyone other than Dick Smith who joins CASA, becomes “infallible".
DICK SMITH, August 1998.

"That's the way the system works. They think: "We are powerful and we are totally unaccountable."'
DICK SMITH, August 1998.

I think your statements more accurately describe CAA/CASA policies post the DCA era?

Dick Smith
17th Nov 2013, 20:26
Sorry. , sight it is. And it wasn't ever a brochure, it was a poster.

I am looking at a number of things that were changed/discontinued after I resigned.

One was the "Aviation safety information for passengers flying on scheduled services in Australia" brochure . It appears they were shredded for some reason.

I am told a number of other initiatives were also stopped including the new enforcement system that has been mentioned previously on this site.

The reason I want to know? May right - sorry , write -a book one day and need a few facts.

aroa
18th Nov 2013, 00:50
and if the mods disagree it.... vanishes.

Oh well, no matter, the industry knows that CAsA/Controlling Authority, stop Aviation place is full of the phsycologically challenged and the code of conduct is a joke.

Ethics is a word NOT in the CAsA vocab:mad:
Or many other words related to normal behaviour either :mad:

Whether we get unTrussed in the near future, we'll soon see.

rioncentu
18th Nov 2013, 03:09
BUSH FOOD. The best breakky cereal in the country. Gawd I hope it's still being stocked. I would struggle without it. Keep up the good work Dick !!:ok:

Cactusjack
18th Nov 2013, 20:36
Dick, forget the poster and leave CAsA ethics out of the book, it would have only been a small paragraph anyway!
And while on the topic of books, R.D Collins is meant to have a new book out by Xmas, so I am sure many of you are eagerly hoping to wake up Christmas Day with Rob in your stockings! Wonder if (shhhhhhhhhh) Transair gets a mention?

aroa
22nd Nov 2013, 10:50
Did you find a copy Dick? Interested to hear what is said...in relation to the ethical edification of CAsA staff.

I have an archive of CAsA bumpf... mainly promises, promises, motherhood statements and 'cut and paste' rehashed statements that appear like a passing comets over the decades.... but no poster.
They do postcards too these days.

I might get into it and do a book too.."50 years in the aviation hall of gloom"

ps did you also locate Bert's impact site in the Prato Magno?? Just curious.

Paragraph377
22nd Nov 2013, 11:46
aroa, Libby has pulled the pin on the CASA ICC and is moving on to browner pastures :ok: Might explain why the Skull has been looking so forlorn this week?
Imagine if Michael Hart could be convinced to return, that would be a good start, go back to the old days where the ICC was independent of CASA's clutches. But then again there is an old bible proverb about 'a dog returning to its vomit', and Mr Hart certainly is no dog. He was an astute gentleman with a sense of ethical pride. He didn't take fools lightly and didn't tolerate CASA misbehaviour. In fact by default he is now part of the IOS! But all jokes aside, his tenure should be reviewed by the Senate, as his work should be the foundation or platform of a new ICC.

But the timing of Libby's 'moving on' is a curious matter for those who are undertaking their phd in Aviation Mystique. Willing departure? Is Senator X holding tightly on to a holy hand grenade that he is about to lob at thy CASA?
So it will be interesting, yet again, to see what Truss does. If an independent resource is appointed and the ICC is wrestled from the hands of Skull and the GWM then there may be a twinkle of hope in the eyes of the IOS. But one oughtn't hold ones breath, as to date Mr Truss is following in the footsteps of that great white elephant, Albo.

Senator Xenophon lobbing his next grenade at the Fort Fumble Nupty's;

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xOrgLj9lOwk

Alan R
22nd Nov 2013, 12:38
Dick

Re your post of 17 November - So that history is not rewritten, from which (or both), of your two appointments as Chairman of the CASA Board did you actually RESIGN. Thanks.