PDA

View Full Version : Happy 40th Birthday Bulldog XX553, ULAS '07'

ABL262
14th Nov 2013, 02:29
Hi All:

I have recently become the proud owner of Bulldog XX553 which I flew as a Cadet Pilot with the University of London Air Squadron between 1984 and 1986. For those of you who follow these things, I thought you would like to know that her first flight at Scottish Aviation Prestwick was 14 Nov 1973 which makes today her 40th“birthday”. I am pleased to report that Bulldog XX553 is still going strong and is now based at Chino airport in Southern California where she even qualifies as a member of Squadron 16 of the Warbirds of America (go figure?!). XX553 will be exhibited on the first-Saturday of most months beginning next year, so if you’re in the area, pop by or PM me and I’ll try to give you a tour and perhaps a flight too.

Now a request for help … I would like to collect some historical background on Bulldog XX553 and her time with ULAS for possible inclusion on display boards for her monthly appearance at Chino. XX553 is one of those more fortunate Bulldogs which saw unbroken service with one UAS from 14 January 1974 as ULAS ‘07’ until her last flight with the RAF on 9 August 2000. So I am appealing to all former ULAS students, instructors, ground crew, staff, etc, to send me any photos, anecdotes (gash trips or otherwise!), memorable log book entries, etc, concerning Bulldog XX553. From my own time with ULAS I have a few photos featuring XX553 at Summer Camps in Leeming and St Mawgan and some memorable trips with the late, great Pete Thorn – there must be many more stories and photos down the years which could be made up into a nice tribute to Bulldog XX553 on the occasion of her 40th birthday.

Thanks all in advance,

ABL262
PS: Anonymous submissions accepted to spare the blushes of those involved!

longer ron
14th Nov 2013, 05:43
Happy birthday 07 :)
And well done for keeping her airborne :)
I was a rigger at ULAS (UEF) 1980-83 and most certainly did quite a bit of work on her,I think I did fly in 07 but will have to check my logbook when I get home on friday !

rgds LR

Evalu8ter
14th Nov 2013, 06:21
Well done chap...will check the logbook and redact names as appropriate!

CoffmanStarter
14th Nov 2013, 06:38
ABL262 ...

If you have access to Tw@tter it might be worth getting in contact with ULAS direct as they've recently started posting some historic pics and info ... so might be able to help you :ok:

https://twitter.com/LondonUAS

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWxnLbhIYAEh8pW.jpg

Our BEagle may also be able to help ...

BEagle
14th Nov 2013, 08:48
Good to learn that '553 is still alive and well! One of the first Bulldogs I flew as a ULAS QFI.

When she was a relatively youthful 16 years old, I delivered her to Cambridge for the VOR/DME/ILS mod. - with a young StopStart in the other seat. Then collected her a few weeks later.

'553 certainly had a long career with ULAS - if I recall correctly there was a lingering stink of tobacco in the cockpit, as wasn't she the usual mount of Uncle Pervy, aka 'Cool Col'?

I wonder whether the 'plastic spastic' Teutors will still be flying when they are 40!

deltahotel
14th Nov 2013, 09:55
Happy Birthday, 553. I flew this ac occasionally between 1977 and 1980 as a student on OUAS. Co-located at Abingdon with ULAS, I guess there was a bit of frame swapping from time to time.

ABL262
14th Nov 2013, 19:06
Thanks everybody for your swift responses.

LR, thanks to you and those who came afterwards, XX553 flies a treat and trims out nicely - no more "why bother flying at 3,000' when you might as well fly at 2,950'?!"

Beags, you'll be pleased to know that your trip to Marshalls was not in vain as XX553 still sports the '89 vintage VOR/DME/ILS mod which I have been putting to good use in the congested airways of SoCal. And yes, the distinctive smell of the cockpit is exactly as I remember it!

Coff, many thanks for the Twitter reference. I am also in touch with the ULAS ex-members association. I fear I will have to go through the archives pretty sharpish before THQ is sold and the inevitable clear-out begins.

Keep those stories and photos coming!

Many thanks,

ABL262

Ken Scott
14th Nov 2013, 19:57
According to my logbook I flew 553 11 times when on ULAS in the 80s. I'll check my albums for any photos.

99redballoons
14th Nov 2013, 20:14
A few minutes 'blast from the past' review of the logbook and memories of a fine fighter pilot now departed.

Solo GHs on 31 July 86 at St Mawgan, 4 Sep 86 at Abingdon
CCTs with Pete Thorn on 4 Feb 87 and solo on 4 Mar 87
3x Spot landing practice for the Cooper Trophy - solo on 8th and with Pete Thorn on 9 & 10 April 87
Then solo ccts on 4 Nov 87 and solo GH on 31 Jan, 23 Jun and 5 Sep 88.

InfraBoy
14th Nov 2013, 20:56
I flew 553 as my first Bulldog flight on ULAS on 23 Nov 93 and went first solo in her on a few flights later on 21 Jan 94. During my 3 years on ULAS. I flew her more than any other of the fleet as she was 'owned' by Sqn Ldr Colin 'Santa' Sills who was my main instructor for the first few years. If I remember correctly when he did retire he was the last person serving who had done National Service.

What was great was that having flown aircraft as old as the Beverley there wasn't much us students could do that he hadn't seen or recovered from before. So I got to bring manoeuvres from my holidays to try in the Bulldog, it was never - no don't be stupid boy. It was, well let's go and see. Horizontal rolling loop in a Bulldog, well let's go and see. How far do you think we'll get? Well neither of us could get it beyond 1/3 of the way around but I suspect neither of us were actually at all practiced doing it!

Lovely aircraft. My favourite? In service certainly and looking through my log books I flew 12 different Dawgs. My favourite? Well that'll go to my good mates XX537 and mine, XX629: both now in civi reg but like you I'm sure still flying them hard (but not quite like we did when we didn't have to pay for it).

I'll check my photos but I've a feeling all my formation pics were taken from 553. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

smujsmith
14th Nov 2013, 21:40
ABL262,

I spent 21 Nov 77 to 18 Jun 79 on University Engineering Flight (UEF) at Abingdon. Whilst I was actually posted to Oxford UAS we only split to postings for summer camps. This allowed us to maximise the manpower, and cover the ground servicing of 6 AEF Chipmunks as well. What a smashing tour that was, and I can certainly claim an hour at least in 07 with Flt Lt Eric Steenson in early 79 I believe. Low level through some great terrain, and being "bounced" by a Harrier. The annual invite to THQ by the aircrew to the Groundcrew usually resulted in the workers (us) winning all the challenges, and usually even the schooner races. You have a nice beast there, even though I was an Airframe man by trade, I hope it's got a "green spot" injector. Enjoy.

Best wishes and Happy Birthday 07

Smudge :ok:

InfraBoy
14th Nov 2013, 21:56
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ChrisF4/image_zps7aa00185.jpg

I sold loads of copies of these on the Sqn. Even a few mouse mats! 553 was no 2 throughout with us in no 3 so in the middle!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/ChrisF4/image_zps7f42c926.jpg

If you're on Facebook come and chat to us in the Scottish Aviation Bulldog Appreciation Society.

Torque Tonight
14th Nov 2013, 21:58
Just checked my logbook - I've flown solo in your aeroplane :ok:

longer ron
15th Nov 2013, 18:55
Thanks ABL
Well I have checked my old logbook and 07 only appears once - Feb 1983 - 45mins with one of the nicest guys you could ever meet :)
In fact I specifically asked him if I could fly with him !
Because he knew I had done quite a lot of flying previously - he let me do the whole flight...start,taxy,take off etc ...I think I did the landing but it is too long ago to be 100% sure (I hope so and hope it was good...we did walk away from it :)!)
During the take off roll he was chuckling and said he would have guessed that I was an engineer because of my gentle handling of the throttle LOL

rgds LR

PS it was my last flight in a british military aircraft (while still in uniform :))
and only a couple of weeks before I got promoted to 'mister'

Mystic Greg
18th Nov 2013, 19:46
I flew in her 3 times in July 1987, on camp at Brawdy and at Abingdon, at the end of my 3 years on ULAS, just before going to IOT. Happy days!

nice castle
18th Nov 2013, 20:37
I have both pictures! Can't remember if I was flying in the aircraft at the time, don't think I was...when were they taken?
*Such* good memories!

Crandons
19th Nov 2013, 09:56
ABL262

I flew her a few times in 1983 and 1984 with Colin Lamont and Pete Thorn,(who I seem to recall had "dig here for PCFAT" written on the top of his bonedome). I was once treated to a low level aeros routine in the Abingdon overhead with Pete, which became one of the highlights of my time on ULAS.That would have been in 07.

I also flew her on my BHT with Pat Lander, who had returned to Abingdon as one of Prince Edwards's QFI's over the Easter Holidays.

Great memories, now a lifetime ago. I'm really pleased she is still flying.

I'm really impressed you still remember your callsign. I struggle to remember where I've just flown to by the time I reach the car park!

Satellite_Driver
19th Nov 2013, 11:57
Here she is over RAF Abingdon, circa 1989. I'll have to dig out my logbook and try to work out exactly when.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7425/10943593466_fbbddc86f1_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sjbradshaw/10943593466/)
Bulldogs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sjbradshaw/10943593466/) by Simon Bradshaw (http://www.flickr.com/people/sjbradshaw/), on Flickr

Top West 50
19th Nov 2013, 12:01
I was on Examining Wing in 1974 and visited LUAS in April. On 8 April I flew a standardization sortie with APO McNamara and, the following day with APO Gripper (cannot remember whether he did)!

I next encountered the aircraft at the AEF at Benson between January 1995 and August 1997 - no mishaps recorded!

Top West 50
19th Nov 2013, 12:02
Great composition Satellite Driver!

Stallspincrashburn
19th Nov 2013, 13:05
A quick flip back through the relevant logbook shows that I flew 553 infrequently during my three years on ULAS. I seemed to have spent most of my time in either 552 or 554 showing either Pastle or Mr. Eagle how it's done......

However, I see that Pastle sent me on my first (UAS) solo (I already had a PPL) in 553 on 20th March 1990. Happy days!

Great to hear it's in good hands. I've seen so many recently looking, at best, shabby. I have a share in a Chippie, and a Bulldog has sat engineless on it's tail, outside our hangar all year. I thought it was heading towards scrap, so was delighted to find it indoors this week, newly reconditioned motor installed and the airframe refurbishment well under way. I'll be angling for a flight when it's done.

ABL262
20th Nov 2013, 20:39
Dear All:
I would like to extend my personal thanks to all ULAS (and OUAS) alums who have sent me their stories, log book entries and some absolutely cracking photographs of Bulldog XX553.

Some amazing anecdotes from those whose first flight was in XX553 and who went on to enjoy fantastic careers in the RAF or elsewhere. Infraboy and Satellite Driver are definitely neck-and-neck in the Best Photo category so far unless Ken S or others can do better!

And yes, Crandons, I remember HRH's time with us at Easter Camp well - I wonder if he flew in XX553? The new CO being his Royal Equerry was no coincidence!

Well spotted also on the call-sign - it reminds me of the great times on the squadron and "Lima 262 final" used to roll off the tongue nicely at the end of a long flight.

I am trying to get XX553 registered in the US as N-L262 for the same reason, but the FAA won't budge on their rule that the first three characters have to be numbers. "262 Lima" doesn't seem the same to me. I am currently holding N-553X which would be shortened to "53 X-ray" on the R/T whereas N-553XX would be shortened to "3 X-ray, X-ray" which seemed a bit of a mouthful. I am open to any meaningful call-sign suggestions for XX553.

Keep those stories and photos coming!

Many thanks,

ABL262

Ken Scott
20th Nov 2013, 22:19
ABL262,

Sadly although I have quite an extensive set of photos from time on ULAS there was no shot of 553.

My last flight in her was 12 Nov 88, a couple of days before her birthday, solo GH. Good times, glad she's well.

Jackonicko
2nd Dec 2013, 08:36
First solo in 553 in 1980, and lots of time in her subsequently solo and dual, the latter with Colin Patterson and Don Merriman among others, including my inglorious BHT. Partz will be along shortly, I expect, as I distinctly recall a running change with him - and I'll bet that was in '553. He and I were the same size then!

BEagle
2nd Dec 2013, 12:12
Ah - welcome back, Jackonicko.

Now then, where are the irreplaceable 35mm slides I loaned you?? You've told me a few times that you'd find out, but have never done so.

I'm still waiting - meanwhile I know which aviation journos can be trusted.

Cim Jartner
2nd Dec 2013, 14:43
Hello all - love reading this thread - I became part owner in XX554 in the summer! Lots of stories about that one too!!

CJ

sippy
8th May 2017, 09:53
Just checking my logbook and I see that I flew XX553 as a UC (78-81) on ULAS on July 20 1979, my QFI was Tony Semark (RIP), someone who was an inspiration to me. On that day it was circuit consolidation during summer camp at RAF Marham and after 25 mins dual I flew her solo. I live in Aus now, flying for Q and will soon be on the dreamliner, flying into LA, maybe I get to see her again??

carlos755
9th May 2017, 00:51
Best thread I've read for months. I had a half share in XX668 at Colerne with Cliff Hilliker closely followed by XX657 which I took out to NZ (in a box). Lots of fun out here and I didn't have to take out the UHF either...

sharpend
9th May 2017, 09:03
Whilst we are on the subject, anyone got stories, pics etc of XX614. Alive and well still. By the way, talking of callsigns, hers is G-GGRR (Grrrrr)

Ken Scott
9th May 2017, 20:39
carlos755: I flew 668 nine times on a summer camp at Woodvale, including four sorties in her in one day. That wasn't unusual, we would do up to six in a day, pairs of back-to-back flights on a tank of fuel with a running change in between to swop the students over. Sorties were around an hour so it was a lot of take offs & landings for not many hours, I did 70 hours in 78 flights on that four week camp.

Some camps we would fly our own aircraft to if the airfield wasn't another UAS base, if it was we'd use the resident ones.

I can't see 554, 657 or 614 in my logbook though.

Ken Scott
9th May 2017, 22:52
Double-checked my logbook and found that I did indeed fly 554, on 4 occasions, the last a solo GH in September 88.

JAVELINBOY
10th May 2017, 18:59
Handy place for a scrap yard at the end of the runway

Andy W.
2nd Oct 2017, 22:00
First solo in her at RAF Abingdon 30th September 1981. Weather cleared at last!

Flipster130
17th Nov 2023, 08:22
Only just found this thread.....I am sure I have pictures somewhere - will dig. Hello to all ex Bullfrog studes and instructors.
I, too, spent a lot of time in XX553 '07' - mainly with the late, great, Pete Thorn 85-86 at ULAS (my first ever solo was in her at Leeming summer camp in July 1985). I also flew 552 and 554 a lot. Fabulous to see them still flying.
My last flight in 07 on ULAS was with Pete on 1 Aug 86....my first ever formation sortie....stunning! I remember it well - it was like sex with your clothes on - and no sticky bits. That flight made up my mind to re-apply for the Air Force.
Later in May 95, now as a QFI myself, I finally flew the lovely lady on an Air Test from St Athan (they did the majors still in those days).....i recall there were no dramas and she handled beautifully. My BUAS 'steed' was mainly XX656 'C''- anyone know what happened to her?

ABL262
18th Nov 2023, 00:52
Hi Flipster130. Welcome to the discussion and thank you for your recollections of XX553. My regular "steed" at ULAS was XX548, mainly with Flt Lt Jim Woodall. Fast forward 25 years when I was looking for a Bulldog of my own, I discovered XX548 already had a devoted owner in Canada. I found XX553, which also featured in my logbook with the late, great Pete Thorn, for sale in West Virginia. I became the proud owner of XX553 in 2013, just before her 40th birthday, and had the pleasure of flying her to her new home in California where she has been joined recently by XX552.

In answer to your questions, XX552 is complete, but will require significant restoration to return her to flight which is my retirement project. XX553 is a relatively clean example of an ex-RAF Bulldog, is airworthy, and actually flies with great precision once trimmed (and that has nothing to do with her pilot!). Sadly, XX554 was flown into a hedge at the end of a farm strip in the UK a few years ago and is no longer with us. XX656, your BUAS "steed", has been in storage somewhere in the UK since 2007 which is normally code for someone has bought her but not gotten around to restoring her - a fate I'm hoping to avoid with XX552. It would be fantastic if you could post any photos you find. There is a more up-to-date thread running to celebrate XX553's 50th birthday and the arrival of XX552, so you may wish to continue the conversation there.

Many thanks, ABL262