PDA

View Full Version : ATPL exams without first class medical certificate

RedBullGaveMeWings
13th Nov 2013, 15:39
I currently hold a second class medical certificate, but I have been assured by my country's authority's doctors that I do meet the standards for the issue of a first class medical certificate the day I obtained my second class medical certificate.
I am thinking of undergoing eye surgery as I have been discussing this option recently with my ophthalmologist. This would take some time because of the time lapse requested by the UK CAA to be assessed after eye surgery -- it should be around 3 months for LASIK.

In the meanwhile, am I allowed to attend an ATPL course and sit the exams without a valid medical certificate at all and just with an EASA PPL?

Dash8driver1312
13th Nov 2013, 18:14
What do the ATPL ground school entry requirements state? Have you checked with any of them by mail or 'phone?

Best of luck to you though! I do hope you get good news in both cases.

RedBullGaveMeWings
13th Nov 2013, 19:32
It says the medical certificate is required for the issue of the licence, but I can't understand if it means CPL or ATPL.
I would say it means CPL because a frozen ATPL is just a CPL with ATPL theory credits and it will be unfrozen in a second moment.

I sent an email earlier, hope to receive an answer soon.

FlyingStone
14th Nov 2013, 05:13
You need to hold a Class 1 medical certificate at the day of your CPL skill test or on the day of your IR skill test. (although for IR Class 2 with audio check is sufficient).

Why on earth would you need a medical for ground school? :confused:

Emma Ritz
14th Nov 2013, 09:58
nobody checks your medical at ground school :hmm:

BUT - you're crazy to spend too much time or money on an aviation career until you have actually done the class 1 test and passed it and got the certificate in your hand, regardless of what you have been "assured" by your doc.

Especially if you're thinking about laser eye surgery - if they :mad: it up, then that's your career over before it's even started.

RedBullGaveMeWings
15th Nov 2013, 01:29
OK, I can attend ground school, but do you confirm I can also sit the exams at the CAA?

M-ONGO
15th Nov 2013, 07:03
Yes, you can sit the exams without a class 1. It's not a clever way of doing things, however.

zondaracer
15th Nov 2013, 08:03
Yes, you can take the exams without a Class 1 medical. One of my friends finished 8 exams and then did his class 1 medical which was denied...

pplal
15th Nov 2013, 08:06
Someone isn't hearing the answer they want to . Without hesitation I would say get the class 1 first .

mad_jock
15th Nov 2013, 08:36
Its a fact of life now that you can't tell a growing number of people under 30 what they don't want to hear.

Just let them crack on if it doesn't break any laws.

Alex Whittingham
15th Nov 2013, 09:00
The entry requirement for a modular ATPL theory course (which I know you didn't ask about) is to hold at least an ICAO PPL, the entry requirement for the exams is to have applied on the appropriate form with a certification from the ATO that you have completed an approved course (or self certifying if you are exempt approved training). The short answer as given above is no, you don't need a Class 1 to sit the exams.

RedBullGaveMeWings
15th Nov 2013, 09:06
Thanks for the answers.

At the moment I do qualify for a first class, I just booked a second class rather than a first class visit. Following the review by the ophthalmologist, I was told I have no vision problems as I meet the standards for the first class. I formally and verbally asked it.

I am just thinking of undergoing eye surgery as my vision's been stable for almost a year now, but it doesn't seem to be such a wise move according to some answers. Thanks! Appreciate it!

CAP509castaway
15th Nov 2013, 09:25
I have had eye surgery and in the past the CAA have always been very against this, having said that a friend had laser surgery and the CAA didn't even know he had had it done until he volunteered the information!
Do get the Class 1 before the exams, why wait????
:ok::ok::ok:

Jwscud
15th Nov 2013, 09:45
It is entirely possible to do the whole lot without a current class 1. However, the sensible way to do this would be to get your initial class 1 to ensure you can pass it, then fly on using the embedded class 2 privileges until the time comes to get your CPL, at which time you can renew it. You can even do the CPL skills test without a current Class 1 but you must have a valid and current class 1 for the CAS to issue your licence.

mad_jock
15th Nov 2013, 11:06
That's the way I did it as well class 2 rights then got the class one before issue.

But I would advise you don't do this. But give it 6 months apart from when all your ratings are due. This is purely a cash flow thing. Means you don't have a yearly huge bill all at the same time and issues with medicals requiring to be valid at the same time as getting ratings sorted out.

It can be a bit of a faff trying to get medical, mep and IR all sorted out. Because sods law means that the medical will be after the examiner is available and you need the medical before the examiner can test you.

Jwscud
15th Nov 2013, 11:37
When I did my CPL (before CAP 804 and EASA) it was legal to sit your skills test with Class 2 privileges as long as the examiner informs you that a Class 1 is required to exercise the license privileges.

It saves a few hundred quid which is not huge in the scheme of £400/hr twin costs but not to be sniffed at even so.

However, I would reiterate the advice given many times before on this thread and elsewhere:

GET A CLASS ONE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE TOWARDS YOUR TRAINNG

mad_jock
15th Nov 2013, 11:48
I would agree with that.

Get class 1 then use the class 2 privileges during training and then get a class one for issue.

Genghis the Engineer
15th Nov 2013, 14:23
+1 to Mad Jock, JWScud, CAP509, M-ONGO.

Get the class 1 now. Renew it just before your skill test. Verbal assurances are worth nothing compared to actually having the certificate. Plus renewals are much less arduous than the initial. Do the initial now before your surgery.

RedBullGaveMeWings
15th Nov 2013, 15:59
I am going for the certificate then.
It was just an option that might have been taken in consideration after all.

BigGrecian
15th Nov 2013, 16:51
Just want to reiterate something - your class 1 must be current at CPL skills test time now to comply with FCL 1030 which requires you to have licence issue requirements at time of test.

This includes Class 1 medical, 200 hours total time etc. etc.

thkib
15th Nov 2013, 22:23
CAA and EASA specifically advise you not to do laser-surgery. So if you pass the class 1 without the surgery I would give a the surgery a good think-through...

portsharbourflyer
16th Nov 2013, 01:07
Although the class one medical is not a requirement for the ground school no responsible ground school provider should let you start without a class one. Although a while back I seem to remember my ground school asked for copies of our class one medical prior to commencing the ground school.