PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help??

NutLoose
13th Nov 2013, 11:59
War Memorial Plea for help- With Flypast (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?127503-War-Memorial-Plea-for-help-With-Flypast)

Apologies for the length of this message but was desperate to try and get across how much we have done and how good this project is in the hope some one out there with the 'right connections' can help us arrange a Fly past for a memorial 'opening' that includes numerous air crew from WW2.

For the last 10 years I having formed a group to do so, have been working to initially restore our war memorial, which we completed in 2011 having raised over £60,000 to do so. The only problem with the success of the main memorial being completed was that it made the WW2 tree lined Avenue of Remembrance that runs off it look scruffy. This Avenue is made up of a footpath with 55 trees to each of the WW2 fallen with each having a concrete plinth and bronze plaque in front. Many of the trees were missing or diseased, plaques had been stolen and plinths subsided. The council had made a lottery grant to make the many improvements needed in the park that included the Avenue but they were knocked back, so I was asked to head up another campaign to get the Avenue done. Further research has added another 11 names so we will now 66 trees, and a formal garden of Remembrance for the civilians killed locally on the home front.

I am trying to arrange a fly past for our formal opening in the Spring. We haven’t yet set a date as a Fly Past possibility on a particular date would be the deciding factor in us setting a date for it but the 'tree experts' tell me mid April onwards would be best, so in reality mid April until early/mid May is when we would be looking at having our formal opening.

It was only in late October that we finally got confirmation that our last two grants had come in positive. This followed our own efforts to raise our pledge of £16,000 which we raised in oh so many ways!! On November 1 we started works in the Avenue and will continue to do so until the winter weather shuts us down.

Obviously due to the late nature of the funding being formally approved meant that I wrote into BBMF around 10 days ago (I know they ask for any applications to be in by Oct 31) but have heard nothing back, which I expected as I am certain they are inundated each year but have kept my fingers crossed just in case we get lucky. My concern though is that if I just sit and wait with crossed fingers I may miss the opportunity to ask anyone else who may have links to the right people to see if they may like to assist.

In addition to the trees and infrastructure work will be the addition of the new plaques, which is what I think makes this project so unique as each plaque tells a little of how the person commemorated was killed and includes a photograph (where we have one) and makes this we believea very unique and world class memorial. I have attached a couple of the plaques to two RAF chaps for you so you can see how the design will look for all 66.

Amongst those commemorated are a number of RAF personnel. We have crews members from Lancasters, Wellingtons, Bostons, Hudsons, Catalinas, Mosquitos, Spitfires, as well as ground crew. We also have two airborne forces guys one whom was killed at Pegasus Bridge so of course aircraft such as a Dak would have been very familiar to them.

I could go on, but I suspect I have made my case as best as I can and whilst I fully understand the pressures and demands on groups owners etc I hope our project at least warrants consideration as I know it would mean so much to those involved and far more so to ‘our lads’ whom we do our level best to ensure are not forgotten in their home town.

So if any owners, groups, BBMF crew or anyone who could help reads this and feels they may be able to help we would be over joyed to hear from you

Thanks in advance

Steve
www.wickfordmemorial.com (http://www.wickfordmemorial.com)

SilsoeSid
13th Nov 2013, 12:56
"Amongst those commemorated are a number of RAF personnel. We have crews members from Lancasters, Wellingtons, Bostons, Hudsons, Catalinas, Mosquitos, Spitfires, as well as ground crew. We also have two airborne forces guys one whom was killed at Pegasus Bridge so of course aircraft such as a Dak would have been very familiar to them."

I'm sure the Army Air Corps might also be interested.

On the night of 5 June 1944, a force of 181 men, led by Major John Howard, took off from RAF Tarrant Rushton in Dorset, southern England in six Horsa gliders to capture Pegasus Bridge, and also "Horsa Bridge", a few hundred yards to the east, over the Orne River. The force was composed of D Company (reinforced with two platoons of B company), 2nd Battalion, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry; 20 sappers, 249 Fd Co. (Airborne); and men of the Glider Pilot Regiment. The object of this action was to prevent German armour from crossing the bridges and attacking the eastern flank of the landings at Sword Beach.
Five of the Ox and Bucks's gliders landed as close as 47 yards from their objectives from 16 minutes past midnight. The attackers poured out of their battered gliders, completely surprising the German defenders, and took the bridges within 10 minutes. They lost two men in the process, Lieutenant Den Brotheridge and Lance-Corporal Fred Greenhalgh.
Greenhalgh drowned in a nearby pond when his glider landed. Lieutenant Brotheridge was killed crossing the bridge in the first minutes of the assault and thus became the first member of the invading Allied armies to die as a result of enemy fire on D-Day.
One glider, assigned to the capture of the river bridge, landed at the bridge over the River Dives, some 7 miles off. Most of the soldiers in this glider moved through German lines towards the village of Ranville where they eventually re-joined the British forces. The Ox & Bucks were reinforced half-an-hour after the landings by Major Pine-Coffin's 7th Parachute Battalion, and linked up with the beach landing forces with the arrival of Lord Lovat's Commandos.[2]
One of the members of the 7th Battalion reinforcements was young actor Richard Todd who would, nearly two decades later, play Major Howard in the film The Longest Day.
Pegasus Bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_Bridge)