PDA

View Full Version : Great Apps for flying

Grumbler
12th Nov 2013, 11:27
Hi guys

Could somebody recommend some great apps for flying?
I need an app that works like a GPS so I can see airapaces, charts etc

It must work within the US and work offline with no Internet connection
Thanks in advance

dublinpilot
12th Nov 2013, 12:37
EasyVFR by PocketFMS (http://www.pocketfms.com/easyvfr/)

Dave Gittins
12th Nov 2013, 12:50
Depends what you want and how much you want to spend.

US Pilots I know swear by Foreflight. There are of course others.

Skydemon works in the US and I've used it in Florida but isn't based on US sectionals.

Grumbler
12th Nov 2013, 13:17
I just need a good reliable app for my iPhone to do some temporary hourbuilding. I'm willing to pay for a good program as long as it works offline and is fairly accurate

Frontal
12th Nov 2013, 14:17
I can also vouch for SkyDemon, after I used it in Florida two months ago.

Desert185
12th Nov 2013, 14:20
Hard to beat ForeFlight for geo-referenced tracking on sectionals, IFR low/high, and with the Pro version, approach and taxi charts. Also includes many FAA pubs (free), flight planning weather graphics and flight plan filing.

I have it on two iPads and an iPhone for the single subscription price of $75/yr for the basic version or $150/yr for the Pro version.

See www.blog.foreflight.com for more info. It won't disappoint. :ok:

dirkdj
12th Nov 2013, 16:15
Why don't you download the 30 day trial version of Skydemon and see how you like it? You could then buy a one-year subscription and it will allow you to use it in Europe after you return from the US. I use it on Nexus7 with internal GPS and it is very good value for money.

Genghis the Engineer
12th Nov 2013, 18:23
I just need a good reliable app for my iPhone to do some temporary hourbuilding. I'm willing to pay for a good program as long as it works offline and is fairly accurate

If you are hourbuilding before a CPL course, you'd be better off doing everything without GPS and refining the techniques you'll be using on your CPL course.

G

Tomg89
13th Nov 2013, 07:13
I use Airbox RunwayHD on an Ipad Mini, uses CAA charts, and you can choose which you'd like from an in-app store.
www.airboxaero.com (http://www.airboxaero.com) :)

dublinpilot
13th Nov 2013, 14:17
I don't think Airbox has USA coverage which the original poster needs.

lordhedges
13th Nov 2013, 15:11
Airbox has full US coverage.

Tomg89
13th Nov 2013, 15:11
I can buy USA charts on there, however it seems to be only certain states and cities, might be worth emailing them actually to see if they can cover it. If so it works very well!

dublinpilot
13th Nov 2013, 18:08
Airbox has full US coverage.

Thanks. Happy to be corrected.

Ultralights
13th Nov 2013, 20:52
Avplan..

full coverage of the USA, Australia, and NZ.