PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article re Spitfires and photos

500N
11th Nov 2013, 05:05
I know it is the Daily Mail but some good photos of Spitfires
and the restoration work done on them at Duxford.

Thought some might be interested.

Sentinels of the sky: British engineers keep iconic WW2 fighters, and the incredible engineering knowledge behind them, flying high | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2497872/Sentinels-sky-British-engineers-iconic-WW2-fighters-incredible-engineering-knowledge-flying-high.html)

RetiredF4
11th Nov 2013, 06:27
A bit more insights in maintenance and restoration of a spitfire and other warbirds can be found at the homepage of
meier motors (http://www.meiermotors.com/de/aircraft/supermarine-spitfire/96-spitfire.html)

Although it is in German there are lots of pics in good quality.

The company is in Southern Germany near my home at the former airfield Bremgarten from former AG51 Immelmann. They accept visitor groups and love to show their work.

Chugalug2
11th Nov 2013, 20:18
I know it is the Daily Mail but...
Is this now an obligatory disclaimer for posting anything at all from this particular source?

Just in case it is, I found these pictures sensationalist, strident, and utterly bigoted! Is that me covered or is a more socio-economic analysis required?

Or can we resist the need to post our PC credentials every time before linking to the DM , and simply say thank you for the wonderful article that they've published?

In the unlikely case that it is, thank you DM, and thank you OP.

NutLoose
11th Nov 2013, 21:50
Retired F4,

Meier motors run a thread on here

News at MeierMotors GmbH / Bremgarten South Germany (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?104523-News-at-MeierMotors-GmbH-Bremgarten-South-Germany&highlight=Mier+motors)

It contains a whole wealth more images and details and is updated by their webmaster.

500N
12th Nov 2013, 01:04
Chugalug

I put that disclaimer because I got flamed once because it was the DM.
Frankly, I'd prefer not to as I am not a PC person but it just saved
any heat.

I agree, DM has done well with the article and why I thought others
on here might be interested.

Glad you liked it and thanks to the other posters for the other links :ok:
Even more good info.

Chugalug2
12th Nov 2013, 06:53
"Heat" over the source of a link says more about those giving the heat than it does about the source. Stand proud and link without fear nor favour, you have nothing to lose but your ...links (sorry!). :ok:

Danny42C
13th Nov 2013, 20:48
Thank you all for the links to these wonderful photos ! As a very old Spitfire driver, I should like to add a few words in comment:

The Duxford photos
============

1.& 4. Nearest on the line is a Mk9(T). Only 20 of these conversions were built (IIRC), and I have never been convinced of any operational requirement for them at the time, but they have been of immense value since as providing the "Spitfire Experience" to many who would otherwise have had no chance of it.

9. The real treasure ! I remember the Mk1 Cockpit well. The Mk.1 was my first Spitfire: I had them on my OTU at Hawarden in '42. Everything is much as I remember it. I think that the oxygen panel was down on the lower right in my day, and I don't think we had an emergency supply. The gunsight is a much later model. I can't understand the two fuel gauges; we had only one which read bottom tank with power on, and top if you pressed the button.

The finish on the Duxford work looks superb. Is it true that, as the Spitfire was designed for an operational life of only six months, all the rivets on these old aircraft had corroded and had to be drilled out one by one, and replaced by fresh, longer lasting ones ?

Meier photos
========

No.2: They look like L/R tanks. Would they have flown the delivery flight Filton - Bremgarten in one hop ?

Nos. 4.& 5: It seems to be the thing now, to have a bright Red "Jemmy" (in case you don't know it's an item of Emergency equipment ?) I believe all the Memorial Flight Spitfires have that too, I don't think there was one in the Hurricane, but then you didn't have a door anyway.

I've (clumsily) translated a bit of the Meier text (in italics):

"Angeblich wurde das flugzeug von der RAAF für 25 Pounds verkauft"
Reputedly was the aircraft from the RAAF for 25 Pounds bought

(- in 1949 - didn't the Sydney Technical College do well ! I think I'd £200 in the bank, then. Just think of it, eight old Spitfires tucked away in a barn ever since at a million a throw now ? Why, oh why, didn't it occur to me then ?)

"dann tauschte Lamplough die Spitfire gegen 7 Lotus Rennwagen, wobei
then swopped Lamplough the Spitfire against 7 Lotus Racing cars, of which

2 davon die legendaren JPS-Lotus waren. Die Rennwagen wurden versandt
two the legendary JPS-Lotus were. The Racing cars were sent

und im Gegenzug kam die Spitfire am 1979 auf dem Schiffsweg wieder
and in exchange came the Spitfire in 1979 by the sea-route again

zurück in ihr Geburtsland.
back in the land of her birth.

Would that be a fair swap today ?

D.

500N
13th Nov 2013, 20:58