PDA

View Full Version : best place to get an ASIC

wicks747
11th Nov 2013, 01:36
I have herd that you can get a ASIC through a few different outfits other than CASA and I am wondering who's the fastest and most Hassel free. It's initial issue and I'm in perth if that makes a difference? I have an avid that took CASA two months to process so don't really want a repeat of that. Any help would be much appreciated

Cactusjack
11th Nov 2013, 01:58
Gumtree! Or just don't bother, let the revolution begin!

wicks747
11th Nov 2013, 02:20
Slam- I don't have an airport as such. I start work on a station in SA early December and have to take the plane to Port Lincoln for 100 hourly's which I gather legally I need an ASIC for, practically might be a different story. But think I may aswell bite the bullet and do it now
Catus- I like your style

peterc005
11th Nov 2013, 02:58
I've used these guys a few times and have no complaints:

Aviation ID Australia | Professional ASIC Distribution Centre (http://www.aviationidaustralia.com.au/)

Mr.Buzzy
11th Nov 2013, 04:11
Dunno the best place to get one but can suggest a few places to put one!

Bbbzbzbzbzbzbzbzbzbzbzbbz

717tech
11th Nov 2013, 04:36
Aviation ID Australia has been a breeze for me in the past.

wicks747
11th Nov 2013, 05:44
Thanks guys will try that crowd. Can't be any worse than casa.

Propstop
11th Nov 2013, 06:07
I use Aviation ID in Merimbula and have found them professional to deal with and are relatively quick.
That being said you must give them all the documents requested and suitably annotated by a JP as required and the process should only take a couple of weeks. It is generally as long as the police check on you takes.

deadcut
11th Nov 2013, 06:42
Hold on... Do you have to go through the trouble of getting all the documents even for an ASIC renewal?!!

peterc005
11th Nov 2013, 06:47
The renewal is pretty much the same as the initial issue.

Maybe worse, because they have tightened the checks over the years.

VH-XXX
11th Nov 2013, 07:26
Apart from RA-Aus, Qantas, Virgin and CASA (Merimbula), who else actually issues them for the private pilot or CPL?

wicks747
11th Nov 2013, 10:03
There's a few http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport/security/aviation/asi/asic_issuing_bodies.aspx

YPJT
11th Nov 2013, 13:11
There is also this (http://www.securityid.com.au/) outfit in Geraldton.
There are some changes in the wind wrt ID docs. Whether it will be less or more painful than the current requirements remains to be seen.

kellykelpie
11th Nov 2013, 19:22
Deleted due not very funny...

Hasherucf
11th Nov 2013, 19:55
I'm with YJPT. The geraldton group has been great through several renewals and moves. Always on the phone if there is a problem, online payments and website make it easy. Very happy everytime

Ridinkidonk
11th Nov 2013, 23:09
Yeah I went with Security ID for mine. It arrived very quickly and process was easy, mind you they sent one with the wrong photo of some other dude who apparently had an incredibly similar name to mine who was also applying for one at the same time. You can imagine my face when I opened the letter and saw some other guys picture with my name!

"Oh how I've aged!"

... I called and they quickly sent out a new one with correct picture with return parcel to send incorrect card back.

N5748E
11th Nov 2013, 23:56
Coles, Myers, or K-mart might have them in stock. You can try Aldi's too but theirs might be an in-house brand.

Jokes aside, Aviation ID is a pretty decent outfit.

Andy_RR
12th Nov 2013, 02:32
Wow! A private-sector business model based entirely on outsourcing bureaucracy! No wonder Australia's economy is booming!

PinkusDickus
12th Nov 2013, 03:30
There are some changes in the wind wrt ID docs. Whether it will be less or more painful than the current requirements remains to be seen.

I just renewed my ASIC, having had one since they were first introduced, so that's about 4-5 renewals. What really pi$$es me off is the requirement to re-identify myself every two years. I can understand the need for the photo to be current, but if they've previously checked me out, then they have more than enough on file to validate who I am.

But then that would make it too easy, and they would need half the people to do the same job. OK, for an initial issue they need to know everything, but why keep making us revalidate the same stuff for a renewal?

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

YPJT
12th Nov 2013, 05:51
A very valid question Pinkus. The reason is probably because the regulations require ALL records of your application to be destroyed once the card has expired. Privacy legislation etc. Also your ID documents only go as far as the issuing body to which you make the application. So regardless of whether you apply to the same issuing body or a different one. Each time they have to establish your ID using valid (read in date) documentation such as passport , drivers licence etc, All of which have an expiry date.