PDA

View Full Version : Q re: PPL Licence

jazzyjay
10th Nov 2013, 18:31
Hello everyone, long time reader first time poster.
I have a quick question about licence validity.

I got my PPL back in 2008.
Due to the economy and cut backs (blah blah blah usual story) I haven't been able to fly since 2011. My licence states under validity that it is not to be reissued no later than Nov/2013.

The big question:
What will I need to now to re-validate my licence for another 5 years, is it a simple LPC or full LST??

Q2) What will happen if I let my licence lapse? do I have to repeat the whole course etc?

Looking forward to your responses.

Cheers

JJ

misterbonkers
11th Nov 2013, 19:07
If your a UK/JAR licence holder then you need to go to an approved training organisation who will assess the refresher training you need to do.

Based on when your last LPC (now known as a PC) expired you will need to do at least the following;

12-36 months - minimum 3 training sorties plus a renewal proficiency check.

36 months or more - 'add type' type rating (which cpuld be as little as 3hrs plus test).

You do not need a current medical or licence to do this training. A medical is advised so you don't pay for training and then find you can't fly.

If your licence is current then it can be signed off and it will be valid until the expiry.

In any event you will need to apply for a new EASA licence very soon (now valid for life instead of a stupid 5yrs.

The school you fly at will be able to help you with all the forms etc. I'd be lowing if I said it was straight forward but you can wade through it and don't need to panic if your licence has expired.

Hope that helps! MB

Savoia
11th Nov 2013, 19:50
I'd be lowing ..

A sure sign that Christmas is approaching! :ok: ;)

misterbonkers
11th Nov 2013, 20:45
Savioa you don't miss a typo! Damned iPad 'predicts' misspelt text.

I should have put 'I'd be telling porky's'...

T'is nearly the season to be jolly!

2Sticks
12th Nov 2013, 20:57
MisterB, This used to send me bonkers too! Go to 'Settings', 'General', 'Keyboard' and then slide the 'auto-correction' switch to off. Calmness will then prevail. :O
Regards,
2Sticks

misterbonkers
13th Nov 2013, 08:28
Thanks 2sticks. Although I may end up less bonkers now as a result.

Exo.
13th Nov 2013, 09:40
When you renew your licence, it'll be using form 1104 and will turn it into an EASA licence anyway, which is now issued on a lifetime basis, and as usual is only valid with an associated current medical of the appropriate class.

You can do this without having your type rating valid, although it means when you renew your rating you will have to pay to reissue the licence (as it will have disappeared off the front of the licence in the meantime).

But at least this means you will have some time to figure out what you need and want to do, without the pressure of the licence expiring completely.