PDA

View Full Version : Remembrance Protocol

fireflybob
10th Nov 2013, 16:51
Very nice Remembrance service at my local church this morning.

The priest-in-charge stated that he wanted the congregation to remain seated during the two minute silence as that way we could see the wreaths which were laid at the altar.

I appreciate that elderly, infirm or disabled may remain seated but wondered whether it is protocol to stand during the two minute silence? I notice that those who serve or have served in the forces remain standing.

airborne_artist
10th Nov 2013, 18:04
Only those too infirm to stand should sit, in my humble opinion. It's basic manners, like standing up when a lady enters the room. You just do it.

Basil
10th Nov 2013, 18:05
Couldn't say for sure but it is my understanding is that it's a two minutes silence, not a two minutes standing or any other particular posture, so it's up to the person running the show or the individual to decide.

AA and I posted together so there you have it: Two people, two differing opinions :)

Tashengurt
10th Nov 2013, 18:07
It doesn't matter. It only matters that we do remember.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

jayteeto
10th Nov 2013, 18:14
You can do handstands as long as you are silent in memory of the fallen. I know that a few of my fallen colleagues would appreciate a wacky silent gesture in their memory

Hangarshuffle
10th Nov 2013, 18:27
Another opinion - its becoming too much of a topic. Watching the tv in a hotel bar abroad, another British person turned to me and said there is simply too much of it now. The rugby was on at it was England v Argentina. The silence was held there I think (you see I cant even remember I'm becoming immune), it was held at Manchester v Arsenal (very well observed), it was held obviously at the Cenotaph (the prime national focus) and it will be held again nationally tomorrow at 11am GMT.
Multiple times, if you are tuned to the media.
Once, at the Cenotaph, is enough.

Yep, putting my full fearnought and Cromwell hat on again but its too much and is turning it into.....I don't know.....superficial overexposure?

We will remember and we will be made to remember are two different things.

Laarbruch72
10th Nov 2013, 18:48
You can do what you like to some extent (depending on the location), there's no set etiquette for a church, certainly.

its becoming too much of a topic.

I agree, if people believe in respecting the fallen then they should do so, and they should do it in whatever way they prefer. If they would rather sit down in quiet contemplation, power to them. If they want to stand to attention, good for them.
If others want to just get on with other things, I support that too, as long as it's not disturbing the former groups.

Tashengurt
10th Nov 2013, 19:19
Agreed. I prefer personal reflection rather than having the event and protocols become overarching.
Before we know it Clintons will be selling 'Happy remembrance sunday' cards. I think, as with so much these days, we're in danger of overcooking the thing.
Before anyone deliberately misunderstands what I mean let me be clear, I'm not for a second suggesting we can understate the debt we owe to those who died.

Hangarshuffle
10th Nov 2013, 19:36
Tashengurt-totally agree and understand. You have described what I fear next.
The bloke in the bar became quite animated about it all, with mad theories about money being made in donations going into wrong hands, creamed off.....I just switched off to it. Not for me I'm afraid.

orca
10th Nov 2013, 19:52
I think for it to be overdone you would have to argue that a proportion of those observing silences or attending parades, or even buying poppies, we're doing it simply because they wanted to be seen to do it - rather than thinking it was actually the correct thing to do.

I am not convinced myself. In a day and age where we suspect the Military Covenant to be a cynical ploy I think the public generally support the military and even those that don't can distinguish between supporting a cause and being thankful for the sacrifice others make.

Through media and from the prolonged nature of ops the public probably have a reason to feel somewhat more engaged one than they have in the past.

Perhaps one of the posters from the US would like to comment on the concept of over doing remembrance?

It's one weekend out of 52, I personally don't think it is over done.

Herod
10th Nov 2013, 20:51
This morning, not keeping track of time, I popped out into the garden on a quick errand. Suddenly I heard the Last Post being sounded in the local churchyard. Call it overreaction if you like, but before I even thought about it I had snapped (or as close as you can at my age) to attention, and remained there, freezing my butt off, for the two minutes until Reveille sounded. I think the freedoms I enjoy are worth two minute's grateful remembrance in a year.

Pontius Navigator
10th Nov 2013, 21:13
Another opinion - its becoming too much of a topic. Watching the tv in a hotel bar abroad, . . too much of it now. . . . it was held obviously at the Cenotaph (the prime national focus) and it will be held again nationally tomorrow at 11am GMT.
Multiple times, if you are tuned to the media.
Once, at the Cenotaph, is enough.. . .superficial overexposure?

Media formula

. . . we will be made to remember are two different things.

Is it a reflection of age and the age? For many in the media the Falklands is as the Boer War was to us. The majority in the country now need to be reminded.

newt
10th Nov 2013, 21:33
When I was a boy we had to stand whenever the national anthem was played/ heard!

Even in our own sitting room!

Why do the younger generations find it so hard to respect the fallen!

I rest my case!!:ugh:

DX Wombat
10th Nov 2013, 21:39
Respect is an attitude of the mind not the body.

Willard Whyte
10th Nov 2013, 21:51
I shall observe 2 minutes silence tomorrow, November 11th, at 11:00.

fireflybob
10th Nov 2013, 22:02
I recall my mother telling me that in the immediate years after the war even all the traffic in London came to a halt for the two minute silence.

On one occasion a taxi driver left his car engine running and he didn't half get some stick from everyone else afterwards!

TomJoad
10th Nov 2013, 22:05
When I was a boy we had to stand whenever the national anthem was played/ heard!

Even in our own sitting room!

Why do the younger generations find it so hard to respect the fallen!

I rest my case!!:ugh:

The younger generation are no different to any younger generation that went before them - they have their own way of doing things. Just because they may not snap to attention on hearing the bugle on the 11th hour does not necessarily mean they are being disrespectful. Each of us, and the youth above all, have our own ways of doing things. Collective, public and ever orchestrated acts are not for everyone. The "old order changeth yielding place to new" as Tennyson said.
I was heartened with the turnout from our youth from the town today at the memorial - their generation as good as any that has gone before.

RequestPidgeons
10th Nov 2013, 23:16
This little nipper has the protocol sorted out!

:D

Young Boy Salutes Troops - YouTube

Courtney Mil
11th Nov 2013, 06:37
Perhaps the vicar's thinking may have been influenced by the fact that if a lot of people stand, the elderly and infirm who cannot, end up sitting in a sea of standing people and can see nothing. Maybe he/she was just being inclusive?

Dendmar
11th Nov 2013, 07:33
Well done. I do not mind admitting it brought tears to my eyes. Honour to our heroes who gave us our freedom.

jayteeto
11th Nov 2013, 11:42
The bandwagon will always happen. Party leaders at the cenotaph who don't give a **** about the forces. No different to 'hiacynths' every Sunday at your local church. They look down on people wearing jeans, while living their own lives breaking every commandment. As northerners say 'all fur coat and no knickers'

Exascot
11th Nov 2013, 12:14
I am sorry gentlemen but in my book you stand to attention. The eldery and infirm sit to attention. It is all down to standards which are regrettably sliding these days. The next thing you will have is a Prime Minister going around wearing jeans in an open neck shirt and no tie.

SASless
11th Nov 2013, 12:22
RP.....not did the wee Nipper get it right....but so did the Troops when they did the "Eyes Right" and by doing so....returned the Salute!

What a grand thing to see!

I agree.....as long as I am able to get up onto my Pins....I shall stand at "Attention"....and if the National Anthem is played....per our Protocol....I shall render a Hand Salute while the Music is played.

That is the way this Old Soldier shows his respect to other Military Persons.

Hangarshuffle
11th Nov 2013, 12:36
Yes it was very touching thing that. Jogged my memory and without blabbing who I be I went to Goose Green for the memorial service once (or maybe it was on "letting out day" I think, me memories shot). Right by the memorial where the Harrier pilots are remembered (everyone is remembered but you know where I mean). Bit like in the video above -the little girls and boys were all in their best clothes and their families had made little bunches of handmade flowers to lay (real 'uns being hard to grow or get) must have taken ages to make. Loads were there, civvies like. Some of them had trailed across from Stanley. It was a cold raw day. Those decent people just shot up in my estimation, that day. Some of those blokes I saw there, I recognised because I think our mob had had a set to with some of them in the bar over the usual, but that hadn't stopped them coming over. Far from it.
Very touching day that, the way it was conducted and the thought that had gone into it - always meant to tell the CO's of the remaining GR7 squadrons about that day (as part of the ethos of the FAA) ( I was the only WAFU there by a mile and ex 8** and CVS) about it but I failed, comms failed on our old ship, the moment went and time moved on again.

SASless
11th Nov 2013, 15:09
Not a video about protocol....but a very well done Remembrance Presentation....and shows so many ways we show that we still care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA1GF9dlXJw

MPN11
11th Nov 2013, 19:34
On the matter of protocol, I always have difficulty when standing to attention, even in civvies ... I really don't think I'm supposed to be singing, whether its a hymn, a psalm or the National Anthem. So I don't.

cornish-stormrider
11th Nov 2013, 20:46
MPN - take it from me, God ( as personally I'm Christian - not a good one but I'm a work in progress) is filled with as much joy from us tuneless tonedeaf grunts as the choir of soprano's at full tilt.

as the choirmaster once said to me - you cant carry a tune in a bucket, thats why the organ goes so loud, just sing how you want, if you hit more than one note in five you're doing ok.....

'tis just a shame the taffia stole all the good tunes and the singing voices, oh and that small boy saluting the troops - apparently it is very dusty in here right now.

hope mine grows up able and willing to show that level of respect.....

Tashengurt
11th Nov 2013, 21:06
Kudos to the troops for returning the salute. I do like that clip.

Fatjoff
11th Nov 2013, 21:09
Courtesy of my current post, I was honoured to have laid 2 wreaths yesterday, and one today. Proud to do so. I'm a bit of a stickler for protocol as well, but unfortunately not all others are aware of it.

For example, the flt lt of the local ATC Sqn, after having laid his wreath, took a couple of steps backwards and smartly saluted, rightly so, the memorial. He then did a 90 degree turn to the right and saluted again, to whom I know not. I assumed he was saluting his CO who may have been standing over there somewhere, but I felt it inappropriate. At that moment, in my humble opinion, only the memorial was worthy of a salute (but maybe he was saluting a relative's grave). I meant to ask him about it, but was waylaid and the moment went. I shall next time I see him.

Mind you, the same chap always wears his brown gloves, whilst at Cranwell I was told to always carry them.

TomJoad
11th Nov 2013, 21:30
hands cold maybe!

TomJoad
11th Nov 2013, 21:32
Yes that clip of the wee fella is something else. As had been said good on the troop for returning the salute.

Union Jack
13th Nov 2013, 15:37
I wonder if anyone else who saw the veterans' march-past in Whitehall on Sunday happened to notice the very bemedalled four-striper in navy blue marching with the Merchant Navy Association with a drawn sword or cutlass, just a few minutes into the programme. That was certainly a new one on me, but I could not make out his cap badge, other than that it looked like a shipping company badge.

Jack