PDA

View Full Version : Failed aylum seeker learning to fly

mopardave
9th Nov 2013, 19:13
I know it's the daily mail.......and they do like to sensationalise things......but dear god almighty! No sane human being could agree with the courts judgement on this!
I think the court that made this decision has well and truly lost the plot.
If the moderators think this post is inappropriate, then I'll apologise to you all now!
:{
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2487444/Taxpayers-10-000-teach-failed-asylum-seeker-fly.html

Dash8driver1312
9th Nov 2013, 19:38
Duplicate thread, you're a week behind

hunterboy
9th Nov 2013, 19:43
Wonder if they'd have sponsored if if he was from Saudi?

Canadian Break
9th Nov 2013, 20:07
Oh dear, how ironic; we teach him to fly and then, in the 2015 post Canary Wharf inquiry, it turns out..............we taught him to fly! Seriously, can't we find better things to do with £10,000 in this day and age?

mopardave
9th Nov 2013, 20:20
How true........I just have to wonder how the council tax payers and employees of Newcastle council feel when they are in fear of losing their jobs! We deserve everything we get in this wretched country!!!!!!:ugh:

Oh dear, how ironic; we teach him to fly and then, in the 2015 post Canary Wharf inquiry, it turns out..............we taught him to fly! Seriously, can't we find better things to do with £10,000 in this day and age?

Laarbruch72
9th Nov 2013, 21:44
Canadian break: Are you implying that because his application for asylum has failed that he must be a potential terrorist? Even for the average Daily Mail reader, that would be stretching it I feel.

Canadian Break
9th Nov 2013, 22:48
Laarbruch 72. Firstly I don't read the Dail Mail. Secondly I was not implying that as a failed asylum seeker he must be a potential terrorist. What I am pointing out is simply this; here we have someone who has applied to live here and has been turned down - for reasons that we know not. Therefore it is reasonable to expect that UK PLC will not be at the top of his Christmas Card List. You may recall the hiatus that happened in the States post 9/11 when it turned out that some of the perpetrators had been taught to fly in America. Finally, I was trying, in a somewhat sarcastic manner, to point out the stupidity of a system that will pay out this sort of money for someone who it will deport when there are far more deserving cases out there. Sorry if you feel offended by this - but then it takes all sorts. to make the world go round I suppose.

NutLoose
10th Nov 2013, 00:31
The only flying lesson he should have received was an immediate one way ticket home as SLF on the next available flight post rejection.

A and C
10th Nov 2013, 01:15
I am a UK national, I have lived in the UK all my life and paid all the taxes asked of me, if I had asked for the authority's to pay for flying lessons the answer would have been a resounding NO !

So how come a foreign national can turn up without a visa and get these lessons paid for ?

And more to the point who is the idiot who authorized the payment ?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
10th Nov 2013, 07:32
I just knew I'd started this on the wrong Forum; on account of it not being "military": http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/527109-need-help-your-ppl-training-costs.html#post8136326 Anyway, I'm sure the Mods might consider bandboxing them. Dash8driver1312 well spotted. :ok:

PS.

A and C; the "idiot" would seem to be the one following British law as it now stands. I sometimes think that we've built more than Jerusalem in our green and pleasant land.

Hipper
10th Nov 2013, 12:57
According to the Mail article he arrived in this country with other family aged around 12 in 2004 and was then abandoned. The Local authority took responsibility and educated him. The fellow is now 21. The money he receives is a loan.

It's not quite that he is a failed asylum seeker who now gets his flying lessons paid for.

dallas
10th Nov 2013, 13:21
Be thankful he didn't fancy being an astronaut. :}

I'm all for it, I mean seriously, the more ways our government can spend our taxes right now the better as far as I'm concerned - we should advertise overseas, hold recruitment fairs. What a bunch of clowns we are.

Herod
10th Nov 2013, 14:02
Apparently the other day a boatload of people were stopped by the Navy between Dover and Calais. What was unusual was that they were travelling away from the UK, and were all UK pensioners. When questioned, they stated that they were going to France so that they could come back to Britain as illegal immigrants. That way, they would get a better deal than they were getting as UK pensioners. ;)

Stendec5
10th Nov 2013, 17:26
The only thing that's prevented me getting my PPL is the cost. Would it be worth applying to the local council for a handout?
We're all living in a Monty Python sketch circa '72...or is it the Twilight Zone?

Rosevidney1
10th Nov 2013, 17:32
Those whom the Gods would destroy they first send mad.

Wander00
10th Nov 2013, 17:33
Why not get Teresa May on to it - even better that harridan who chairs the Public accounts Committee

downsizer
10th Nov 2013, 18:12
This has what to do with mil aviation?

Laarbruch72
10th Nov 2013, 19:03
Sorry if you feel offended by this

I'm not at all offended Candian Break, and to avoid confusion I also think this is a ridiculous scenario. What I picked you up on is the implied automatic relationship between "rejected asylum seeker" and "terrorist".

There are many, many thousands of rejected applications for asylum in the UK every year, but there aren't thousands of them going on to commit jihad in a light aircraft crashed into Canary Wharf. Your theory is a truly massive stretch of logic.

It's probably helpful to note that virtually all jihadists involved in UK terrorism plots already live here and have done so for many years. Failed asylum seekers aren't the problem, it's radicalised muslim UK nationals that cause a problem. Probably a discussion for another thread!