PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Jets and Light a/c

pax britanica
8th Nov 2013, 15:24
I have a couple of casual questions about ATC in my part of the world which is near Blackbushe and Farnborough. I have often wondered who looks after the ( relatively ) heavy metal which uses FNB and also the Blackbushe jets .
I was prompted to ask because walking the dog the other afternoon in Sandhurst on a very grim dank day I heard a what turned out to be a medium sized biz jet heading for Blackbushe- just breaking cloud about 2-3 miles from the field and still turning onto finals. Not going to guess the height since its never an easy thing to do. However moments after it had passed a light single-Cherokee -appeared crossing right behind where the jet was and also just scudding in and out of the cloud base .Is there formal separation in this area between aircraft since the weather was such that see and be seen would not be realistic with heavy low cloud. Is it something Farnborough radar manages?
Also going back a few years where lovely smokey old DC8s used to frequent Lasham and often used to transit at low level south and north would there be any special measures to separate them from the flow of light aircraft to and from the various airfields in the area like White Waltham, Blackbushe and Popham etc

Appreciate any answers if someone has minute or two
PB

chevvron
8th Nov 2013, 16:37
It's all class G airspace and hence available equally to all types of aircraft. No special measures as you call them are taken, but where the pilot wishes to use the service of ATC, an Air Traffic Service Outside Controlled Airspace (ATSOCA) may, workload permitting, be provided by either Farnborough or Odiham.
Gliders at Lasham plus (at present) the airliners coming and going for maintenance are not provided with an air traffic service but do have the service of an Air/Ground radio operator, whilst traffic at Blackbushe is provided with an air traffic service called Aerodrome Flight Information Service. (AFIS)

pax britanica
8th Nov 2013, 22:01
Thanks Cheveron I wondered if it was what a layman would call uncontrolled airspace if that term is used and was not sure of the 'class letter'.

So presumeably the bizjets and Lasham bound airlines are under London control up to some point and they are then just free to proceed as they wish when released from positive control. Given the amount of light aircraft traffic there can be in this area it would seem everyone needs to be pretty much on their toes when transiting the paths the heavier stuff uses to position on the approaches fro BLk FNB or Lasham .I must admit I always found the sight of all the gliders at Lasham mixing with the classic grungy smokey DC8 freighters an interesting sight and Lasham afforded some great views of these beats landing or departing.
Thanks again

chevvron
9th Nov 2013, 01:10
Not quite. Anything from London Control inbound to Farnborough, Lasham, Fairoaks, Blackbushe and Dunsfold is handed off to Farnborough Radar; Odiham having their own radar handle their own traffic. Only Farnborough and Odiham presently have instrument approach procedures (Lasham had radar until recently but it was 'withdrawn' and looks unlikely to be replaced) whilst the other airfield have visual approaches only. Likewise all departures from the first 5 airfields to join the airways system are handled by Farnborough until there is no other traffic to conflict with them, then they are transferred to London Control.
The above is 'simplified' as each airfield has it's own little 'quirks' to procedures, but it gives you a basic idea of how faster traffic is able to mix it with light aircraft round the area.

pax britanica
9th Nov 2013, 09:56
Thanks Chevron , I understand how it works now-presumeably Farnborough can see the assorted light traffic on their radar and act advise accordingly- if they saw any danger of conflict . I forgot about Odiham with its Chinooks thudding up and down the M3 to add to a very varied and interesting area for overflying aircraft . It was the fact it is so busy and diverse that lead me to ask in the first place .
Thnaks again