PDA

View Full Version : Red tape

mad_jock
8th Nov 2013, 12:54
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/red-tape-to-be-slashed-for-aviation-sector

Thanks to Fisbangwallop for bring it to my attention.

Mind you I expect a heap of fight back including data protection and all manner of nonsense.

There are some things they have been trying to get in for years and only just succeeded with EASA.

astir 8
8th Nov 2013, 12:59
Several weasel words about "working with" EASA. That's what they've being doing all along to get us into this mess isn't it?

Personally I won't be holding my breath waiting for improvement

mad_jock
8th Nov 2013, 13:07
Consultation - CAA Response to the General Aviation Red Tape Challenge | Consultations and Responses | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1350&pagetype=90&pageid=15433)

If you have a look they are saying that all forms are going to be online by 2014. So even if the only thing is that you don't have to pretend to fill it out print it and then scan it. Instead of just pasting your signature in it will be better.

Contacttower
8th Nov 2013, 18:28
This more important than perhaps people realise. Discussion is currently more active in the other place but the CAA, with the support of the government, are serious about changing the way GA is managed and this comes from the top of the organisation.

I draw people's attention to the response document the CAA has put together and the original Red Tape website that took comments.

Red tape website (http://www.redtapechallenge.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/themehome/general-aviation-theme/) (click on individual subject areas to view comments)

CAA response document (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=5838) (CAP 1123) with an additional link that includes a table of individual comments/responses.

Additional comments on the CAA's response document (the response to the response I guess...) can be made to this email address: [email protected]

Edit to add: I know MJ has posted the link to the response document already...the one in my post includes the comment table as well.

asitwas
8th Nov 2013, 18:44
Mostly spin and bull**** I am afraid, the CAA is largely an empty vessel, the DfT have delegated everything except LAA and Annex 2 to the EU and EASA. The CAA is bound to follow EU regulations and will do so slavishly as is the UK habit whilst others pay only lip service.
The EU are going ahead with all manner of regulation despite ICAO votes to the contrary, and having spoken to a delegate at a conference they were described as a benign form of fascism who extol democracy only whilst it fulfils their wishes. The UK CAA have truly shot themselves in the foot and us between the eyes I cannot see how the demise of GA can be reversed under the current circumstances.

Contacttower
8th Nov 2013, 19:04
Mostly spin and bull**** I am afraid, the CAA is largely an empty vessel, the DfT have delegated everything except LAA and Annex 2 to the EU and EASA. The CAA is bound to follow EU regulations and will do so slavishly as is the UK habit whilst others pay only lip service.

Obviously EASA makes it harder to action change because it means another party to satisfy. There is more flexibility in the relationship than is commonly believed though and despite initially being very slow off the mark to deal with EASA there is now more of an opportunity to change things than there was previously.

mad_jock
8th Nov 2013, 19:13
Thing is if nobody engages them they will have an excuse to do nothing.

Just the forms at the moment are an absolute nightmare.

xrayalpha
8th Nov 2013, 19:16
I think there truly is a mood for change.

This must come right from the top, because - to be frank - most of the CAA staff are the same people who were there last year, and the year before, and the year before.

And, gosh, this is a supertanker of an organisation: inherently resistant to change!

One example I found today:

Instead of ratings being valid for 13 months, or 25 months etc from the date of test/check they may now be valid from the end of the month for 13/25 months. A simple change that makes it easier to keep valid and also removes the question: my test was at 1pm on the 14th, so even though the date in my ratings page says 13th, shouldn't it be valid until at least midday on the 14th.

Keeps it simple for all of us.

Another example:

The CAA's CD of templates for RFS to change to ATOs.

Yes. We might think the CAA is a little behind the times in only getting online now. But it IS now doing it!

And I understand hundreds of forms are being cut down to just 30, or so. Well that's a challenge, and an achievement. Although how things were allowed to carry on in the past until we had 100s of forms is another matter!!

mad_jock
8th Nov 2013, 19:41
To be honest I can see some people having to be retired to get it done.

Hopefully the plonker that designs the licenses for a start.

Pace
9th Nov 2013, 07:54
Obviously EASA makes it harder to action change because it means another party to satisfy. There is more flexibility in the relationship than is commonly believed though and despite initially being very slow off the mark to deal with EASA there is now more of an opportunity to change things than there was previously.

To be fair to the CAA they are doing things and getting changes made with EASA as well as being supportive in areas close to me! One was the change on 3rd country commercial licence holders to 2015 and they are continuing to be a support so hopefully there are possible changes with EASA and the Commission in a number of areas

Pace

DaveW
9th Nov 2013, 09:40
If anybody has specific suggestions for improvement, you may be interested to know that the Flyer Forums have a new - and already busy - "Red Tape and Gold Plate" forum to crowd-source responses to the CAA's request for suggestions.

I won't post a link as I am unsure about PPRuNe's policy, but it is very easy to find.

ShyTorque
9th Nov 2013, 10:49
This sounds similar to the FAA's Part 135. I hope it won't result in replacing one set of rules with existing exemptions, for another more onerous set of rules.