PDA

View Full Version : Interview, Jeppesen volume 1

gonzags
6th Nov 2013, 10:16
Hi guys.

In few weeks i have an interview with an airline. They told me that the theorical exam will be based on jeppesen volume 1:

-Rules & Regulations (Holding times, XPDR codes, etc.)
- Metoerological Interpretation of METAR & TAF
- Metoerological abbreviations
- Rules of thumb (temperature deviation from ISA, etc.)
- Procedure designs (Circling areas, departure SID calculations)
- ATC wordings
- Navigational exercises as defined in volume 1

I`ve been looking on the internet, but im unable to find this book or document anywhere.

Can you guys help me?

Thanks! :)

RedBullGaveMeWings
6th Nov 2013, 10:51
I think that a book like ACE will suffice and if you still have your ATPL book, which don't have to be made by Jeppesen, will get the job done, too. On the Internet you can find Jeppesen ATPL books. Never heard of Jeppesen volumes for interview preparation.

M-ONGO
6th Nov 2013, 19:22
Red Bull,

No disrespect mate, but you don't even appear to have a PPL yet, so your advice may not be the best. Ace is full of errors...

pudoc
6th Nov 2013, 20:27
Red Bull,

No disrespect mate, but you don't even appear to have a PPL yet, so your advice may not be the best. Ace is full of errors...

ACE volume 2 has much, much fewer errors.

RedBullGaveMeWings
7th Nov 2013, 04:44
Red Bull,

No disrespect mate, but you don't even appear to have a PPL yet, so your advice may not be the best. Ace is full of errors...As someone told you, ACE 2 has much fewer errors and I said a book like ACE, not ACE. ACE is not the only book on the market.
You don't even need a student pilot certificate to read posts carefully.

M-ONGO
7th Nov 2013, 06:21
To the OP, what you need to read is the Jepp Airway Manual - General. This has what you need. Forget commercially available books that may or may not have technically incorrect information. Why not ask your flying club if they have a copy for you to read/borrow if not in use?

Never heard of Jeppesen volumes for interview preparation.

It's not uncommon, RB.

Be careful of certain posters offering advice on this anonymous forum, most of them will not even have attended a pilot interview by virtue of the fact they do not hold professional licences (or even private, for that matter) If the airline has stated that questions will be asked based upon this document, then that's probably the best one to study, one would think.

This may be of some help, from a quick google. It's not current, be advised.

http://tmaviation.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/jeppesen-airway-manual-miscellaneous.pdf

RedBullGaveMeWings
7th Nov 2013, 09:45
@M-ONGO, I am not the OP but thank for the link posted, will keep it for the foreseeable future (hopefully).

gonzags
7th Nov 2013, 10:11
M-ONGO you are the best, thats what i was looking for!!

thanks so much for your help and thanks also to the rest of you guys.

flarepilot
8th Nov 2013, 10:29
excuse me

you are going to an interview for an airline pilot job

and you don't have jeppesen ?

then buy it...yes its expensive to get jep service but it is your tool.

I would also read the "Aeronautical information Manual" of your country or the country you will interview in, or the USA version if nothing else (it is available on line)

just from memory isn't a sid designed with a climb gradient of 252 feet per nautical mile ( I would have to look it up to be sure...its 3 am here and I am half asleep).

ATC wording...sounds like the A.I.M. section on communications and pilot/controller glossery

you are a pilot, assuming you have an ATP and you should know this stuff...review it certainly and I am sure the A.I.M. will help too.

M-ONGO
8th Nov 2013, 19:02
Flare pilot

Many European Pilots don't have Jepp, just as many American Pilots don't. Give him a break please. Not all countries have an AIM either.
You American brethren can also have 1500 hrs plus, but it means nothing in Europe. European pilots have a far better knowledge, US pilots have a few more hours, and possibly handling skills.

Nobody is better, the US pilots are possibly better handling, the EU pilots are definitely better in knowledge.

I have both licences (certificates) so please don't have a fit.

Don't assume anybody here has an ATPL.

flarepilot
9th Nov 2013, 18:09
mongo

I mentioned that he could read the AIM online...for free.

and if I got a call for an interview so early in my career I would darn well get a Jepp volume one by one method or another.

Knowledge...Handling....

wow...you just summed up why air france crashed

M-ONGO
9th Nov 2013, 18:45
I mentioned that he could read the AIM online...for free.

I understand that flarepilot. It's maybe just not relevant to the OP, as he's European based and presumably interviewing there. Agreed, lots of good gen, but a heck of a lot is not relevant to EU operations. He's in Spain, Vueling are recruiting there on the 'bus at the moment, I'm assuming it's a European gig he's after.

As far as knowledge and handling, and as far as I'm against the low timers like the 200 hour wonders cutting teeth in a jet, well, that's a different issue. I'm just trying to give this guy what he needs (what his interviewers have TOLD him it is based on) to prep himself for success at an interview. We could bring up Buffalo under this "Knowledge...Handling" also, not just AF447. There are deficiencies in both systems, but that's not for this thread, is it?

flarepilot
10th Nov 2013, 19:55
mongo

there is also something called the international AIM that might be helpful and most things in the US are conveniently close to international standards...we even recognize words like DECIMAL instead of Point.

And if he was told what to study, one could buy the jepp mentioned or realize that much of the JEPP is a reprint of other things available elsewhere.

I submit to you that the buffalo crash was bad

but the Air France crash was 4 to 6 times worse (number of passengers)

there is also a big difference between a regional airline and the airline of the republic of France.

about 30 years ago, when I was instructing, a beautiful girl came to our flying club...she had a license from the British side of life (Zimbabwe). She told me how she had to explain how the artificial horizon worked as part of her written exam...so many things she had to know. She had so much knowledge.

But when she flew she couldn't keep her altitude within 500 feet.

so, when we "mint'' pilots, knowledge is one thing...but knowledge is not the only thing that makes a pilot. I had the privilege of flying with an engineer from NASA AMES and he had trouble flying on heading, but he explained to me how the ailerons worked as he tried to turn.

I flew with another engineer who had an atp and he started to explain the fir tree method of attaching blades in the engine

he lost 30 knots in the 737.

A pilot needs a working knowledge but has to FLY the plane.

And my favorite engineer story, also someone who worked for NASA AMES with a degree from stanford...she turned the wrong way on a back course localizer approach.

M-ONGO
11th Nov 2013, 06:56
there is also something called the international AIM that might be helpful and most things in the US are conveniently close to international standards...we even recognize words like DECIMAL instead of Point.

Yes, I'm so pleased that you now recognise decimal, oh and you no longer position and hold. You must feel so much safer! Please post a link to this international AIM, the only one I could find was the one offering country fact files etc, no use to anybody for a pilot interview.

And if he was told what to study, one could buy the jepp mentioned or realize that much of the JEPP is a reprint of other things available elsewhere.

He has it. I've given it to him, end of.

I submit to you that the buffalo crash was bad

but the Air France crash was 4 to 6 times worse (number of passengers)

So it's down to the size of the plane, is it? Incompetence is incompetence. AF are rather good at bending airframes though, granted.

there is also a big difference between a regional airline and the airline of the republic of France.

Tell that to the families. North American big airlines 'screw the pooch' too. Just look at Cali. Even on smaller scales, such as American 331, nobody (American, British, Martian etc) is infallible. Also look at Kegworth, UK.

about 30 years ago, when I was instructing, a beautiful girl came to our flying club...she had a license from the British side of life (Zimbabwe). She told me how she had to explain how the artificial horizon worked as part of her written exam...so many things she had to know. She had so much knowledge.

In all my past years of instructing, we never had as much as one beautiful girl show up. You are lucky. Oh, and a Rhodesian or Zimbabwean licence would have been far, far removed from a British licence. Alas, if she couldn't keep height within 500', maybe she gave good 'extras' to pass her licence.

so, when we "mint'' pilots, knowledge is one thing...but knowledge is not the only thing that makes a pilot. I had the privilege of flying with an engineer from NASA AMES and he had trouble flying on heading, but he explained to me how the ailerons worked as he tried to turn.

I flew with another engineer who had an atp and he started to explain the fir tree method of attaching blades in the engine

That made me laugh! I've known a few like that, boffin types with no finesse. Who let him loose 30 KTS, two crew were at fault that day. No check speed calls?

A pilot needs a working knowledge but has to FLY the plane.

And my favorite engineer story, also someone who worked for NASA AMES with a degree from stanford...she turned the wrong way on a back course localizer approach.

Absolutely agreed the first point. LOC/BC apps are something we don't do in Europe really.