PDA

View Full Version : Katoomba (YKAT) anyone been there?

BEACH KING
6th Nov 2013, 03:16
I would like to go to a wedding at Katoomba in December. I just noticed that there is an airfield there. ERSA has little info other than there is an NDB.
Anyone familiar with the place per chance? Fuel availabilty, runway lengths/surface etc?. Elevation of 3000+ ft, I would imagine the weather and winds could limit the possibility somewhat. Any suggestions welcome. My original plan was fly to Bathurst and hire a car.

Jabawocky
6th Nov 2013, 03:56
Here ya go!

Katoomba Airfield (ICAO: YKAT, IATA: N/A) (http://wikimapia.org/307057/Katoomba-Airfield-ICAO-YKAT-IATA-N-A)

Contact info and all. :ok:

BEACH KING
6th Nov 2013, 04:03
Jaba...You are the man :ok:

Critical Reynolds No
6th Nov 2013, 04:11
Love the info in Jabs link:

Nearby cities:Canberra, Wagga Wagga, Gold Coast

Horatio Leafblower
6th Nov 2013, 04:33
It's dirt and yep, it is pretty unpleasant in high wind conditions. Did a couple of landings there with a CPL candidate about 12 months ago.

If I remember rightly there's f*-all by way of facilities.

Cheers

Lookleft
6th Nov 2013, 04:36
Nothings changed in 26 years then!

farmer dan
6th Nov 2013, 04:38
It's been a couple of years since I have landed there. From memory, there is big dirty set of power lines near the start ( or end) of one of the runways. Also ( again hazy memory) one approach can have nasty wind shear with a westerly wind. If there is fires in the blue mountains they general use that airport for fire fighting aircraft. If this was the case I think they would notam it for fire ac only. Sorry it's not very specific info but just a few things to keep in mind. Enjoy the trip.
Farmer dan

Ascend Charlie
6th Nov 2013, 05:22
It's a mongrel old strip. Didn't even like landing there in a chopper.
No facilities unless somebody is there to unlock the portable building. Toilets are a big hike away. Long dirt road to get to civilisation. Been stuck there for 2 days when a cloud settled onto the hills.

Better to fly to Bankstown and rent a car for the 90-minute drive. Probably cheaper, closer, and less reliant on weather than attempting Katoomba or even Bathurst.

Jack Ranga
6th Nov 2013, 07:39
The drive from Bathurst is much more pleasant than the drive from that ****hole Bankstown. Dare I say it, it's probably much quicker as well. It will also be cheaper. I don't think there are hire cars at Bankstown airport? I personally wouldn't get a cab from Bankstown airport to any suburb surrounding it for a hire car agency.

Jenna Talia
6th Nov 2013, 07:53
I've been told that Thrifty now have an agency at BK, opposite the High Flyer Hotel. Haven't seen it myself, just what I am told by a mate who recently hired a car from the place.

Having said that I would prefer the drive from BTH. I know that Hertz operates from the airport.

VR-HFX
6th Nov 2013, 08:14
All the comments about YKAT are correct. It is nothing more than an NDB with a dirt strip and unpredictable winds.

Depends where you are coming from but if it were me, I would leave the flying machine at Bathurst and rent a car.

Howard Hughes
6th Nov 2013, 08:45
Also ( again hazy memory) one approach can have nasty wind shear with a westerly wind.
I've only ever seen it form above, but considering it sits on a plateau on a North/South divide, I'd reckon they'd all have nasty windshear with a Westerly blowing! ;)

BEACH KING
6th Nov 2013, 08:51
Thanks for the advice. Very helpful.
Looks like Bathurst is the go (weather permitting). I have landed there quite a few times in the past, and would have needed to go there for return fuel anyway. Bathurst is no farther and far less hassle than Bankstown, and has plenty of hire cars. 70% of my landings are on dirt strips, so I'll take nice sealed stuff any day. :p

Ex FSO GRIFFO
6th Nov 2013, 08:56
Re " It is nothing more than an NDB with a dirt strip and unpredictable winds."

Partly right.
In my recollection, the NDB is actually located some 2.8 nm to the SSW of the YKAT 'sand pit' - about 203deg - on 'Valley Road'.
That's about 1/2 a nm due West of the KAT railway stn.....

A bit tough if you were relying on the KAT NDB being located at the YKAT Ad. and the weather was a bit 'piss poor'....and you might be doing.....

Cheers:p

Horatio Leafblower
6th Nov 2013, 10:14
Given your experience level, Junior, it's pretty brave calling some of the posters here "soft". :hmm:

It is a **** strip with **** approaches and plenty of hazards. Just because you "can" doesn't mean you "should" - and nobody here is saying he "shouldn't", but that he should take due care when making his decision.

Personally I like making a decision that gives the highest probability of delivering myself and my passengers with minimum fuss and delay. :suspect:

farmer dan
6th Nov 2013, 10:23
If you are a experienced pilot( disregarding my previous posts) in a ac that can handle dirt strips I would give it a go ( weather permitting). Yes the are some idiosyncrasies, but when I was there it wasn't that bad. I think due to its elevation and position it can potentially get tricky. Maybe call Cirtis aviation in Camden, I think they use it every now and then for training ( don't quote me on that).
On a side note, if I had the choice between ysbk and Bathurst, I would take Bathurst anyday. Safe flying.

Jack Ranga
6th Nov 2013, 10:36
Grab the hire car at Bathurst, go for a burn round the mount, be in Katoomba within the hour.

Land at Bankstown, get ripped off for aircraft parking, chance the traffic, grab a beer at Panthers on the way up the hill. Bout an hour & 15, maybe (not including beer).

Land at Katoomba, you've got the experience and know what you're doing, weather? 15 minutes into Katoomba.

kookabat
6th Nov 2013, 10:59
Maybe call Cirtis aviation in Camden, I think they use it every now and then for training
One of the few places Curtis will NOT let their aircraft go to in fact!

gassed budgie
6th Nov 2013, 12:54
it has it's challenges but have seen C310's operating in and out of there

Reckon if you look real close on google earth you'll find a 310 parked in the shade of a tree.

Jabawocky
6th Nov 2013, 20:55
Beachie.......a better idea.

Fly to Toowoomba, take that new little shopping trolley you keep in the big smoke to Bathurst.

Surely you of all copper friendly folk can talk them into closing the road for a few minutes and see what kin of lap time that machine will cut.

I reckon it would be a sub 2min 30sec lapper that little jigger. Not quite Porsche GT3 speed but given the right tyres and CL similar talent it would be up there with 2m20s :ok:

Would you like me to drive it down there for you.....what are mates for? :E

BEACH KING
6th Nov 2013, 22:05
You can do that if you like Jabba. You will probably wish you hadn't though. The ride is similar to a 140 ton rated SAR model Kenworth on 6 rod suspension and solid mounted cab.

Ultralights
6th Nov 2013, 22:05
nothing wrong with YKAT, i was there 3 weeks ago, both strips are in good condition, well maintained, no more rocks and shrubs. there is the obvious hazards with wind and mountainous terrain (if you can call what we have mountains) and powerlines to the east, but its no worse than Mt Hotham on a windy day.
the problem is when you arrive un announced, and get a cold reception from the caretaker at the aeroclub/school building there.

ring first, pay the landing fee/donation for upkeep and all is well. The Caretaker has been around a while, and has plenty of stories to tell, but will quickly tell you get lost if he doesnt know you are coming..

i got the cold reception on arrival, but asked him to check the answering maching, and all was right with the world once more...

now for a real tricky tight strip, try Yerranderrie.

Ultralights
7th Nov 2013, 02:15
I think the Curtis guys have a mail delivery contract or something going on there, though i have never actually seen them there, nor anyone else for that matter.. I was told through the landowner at the time when asking for permission to use the strip, to call curtis and get checked out by them to use it. after quick phone call, was told, as long as your aircraft is capable, then no probs.

now its managed by national parks, info on the website still mentions curtis as POC for ops, but have been told be others this is no longer the case.
but the Yerrandarri strip make YKAT look like KSA by comparison..

Jabawocky
7th Nov 2013, 03:59
You can do that if you like Jabba. You will probably wish you hadn't though. The ride is similar to a 140 ton rated SAR model Kenworth on 6 rod suspension and solid mounted cab.

OK, how about I grab my suit helmet boots and gloves and we drop in at Morgan Park. See if you can beat my lap times. 1min 11.5 is the target. You dont have to repeat it, that was faked on just one lap time, I am not that accurate. Done many a lap at MPR and its a great fun track, suited to your new ride :ok:

The Stig's Digital Cousin - Top Gear - YouTube