PDA

View Full Version : Interesting sponsorship route!

PIELORD
5th Nov 2013, 11:45
Taxpayers foot £10,000 bill for failed asylum seeker's flying lessons - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10426604/Taxpayers-foot-10000-bill-for-failed-asylum-seekers-flying-lessons.html)

flying apprentice
5th Nov 2013, 12:19
Suspect this will be moved to another fora

'Local authorities are legally
obliged to meet the training costs of children who have no parents so they can find a job. '

I want to know how 10k will be sufficient to meet training costs to get this guy a job flying planes ?

momo95
5th Nov 2013, 13:22
The government are prepared to fund any nonsense these days so that doesn't surprise me. What does grab my interest is how £10,000 can gain you the qualifications to become a pilot.

Most likely just sensationalist reporting. Unless he had a lot of previous experience, which I highly doubt.

Luke SkyToddler
5th Nov 2013, 14:20
I know it's the Torygraph and there's probably another side to the story - I couldn't care less whether the guy is an asylum seeker or not. However, if there's even a grain of truth to the story that someone has found a way to scam local councils into paying for their flying lessons, then I would have to say :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: what absolute madness

Libertine Winno
5th Nov 2013, 14:24
I just hope that they don't realise that the guy will actually need about £84k for an inegrated course, plus another £20k for a type rating to actually have half a chance of securing employment as a pilot...that will really hit the taxpayer where it hurts!

Hotelpresident
5th Nov 2013, 19:21
I want to know how 10k will be sufficient to meet training costs to get this guy a job flying planes ?

Absolutely, with 10.000 they can give just a PPL licence and with that it is not possible to get a job.