PDA

View Full Version : EU Part FCL PPL A rights on TMG

M52
4th Nov 2013, 21:56
I have just revalidated my licence and it has come back as European Union Flight Crew Licence iaw Part FCL- PPL A SEP Land. Having recently become a member of the local gliding club I decided to do a check out on their motor glider as an economical way to do some power flying while fulfilling an ambition of soloing on a glider. Rang up the CAA helpline and they said I could exercise my privileges on a TMG after a differences check out. However one of the instructors contacted the CAA and was told that any PPL A converting to TMG would need a skills test. However there are no examiners currently at the club who are approved to carry out a skills test. So 2 conflicting judgements from the CAA and I'm getting nowhere. I have trawled through the CAA information and EU legislation and cannot find anything that positively states that I need a skills test but the club is adamant that I do.

CAP 804 seems to state that I can use my licence to fly TMG:

FCL.205.A PPL(A) Privileges and conditions

(a) The privileges of the holder of a PPL(A) are to act without remuneration as PIC or

co-pilot on aeroplanes or TMGs engaged in non-commercial operations.

(b) Notwithstanding the paragraph above, the holder of a PPL(A) with instructor or

examiner privileges may receive remuneration for:

(1) the provision of flight instruction for the LAPL(A) or PPL(A);

(2) the conduct of skill tests and proficiency checks for these licences;

(3) the ratings and certificates attached to these licences.

:ugh::ugh::ugh:

Jim59
4th Nov 2013, 23:17
I agree that the documentation is unclear, but because the TMG is a different class to SEP you need a TMG class rating on an EASA PPL(A). Rules are slightly diffferent for a LAPL(A) or LAPL(S). I wrote to the CAA the reply is below. Try Enstone (Oxfordshire Sports Flying - they may have an examiner.).

I refer to your inquiry below which has been passed to me. I apologise for the delay in coming back to you.

The holder of an EASA PPL(A) (or higher aeroplane licence) is required to have a valid TMG rating in his or her licence to fly TMGs.

The TMG rating is a class rating.

I draw your attention to Part-FCL (Annex I to the Aircrew Regulation) point FCL.725 – Requirements for the issue of class and type ratings.

You can access the regulation at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2011:311:0001:0193:EN:PDF, but to summarize:

FCL.725(a) states that an applicant ‘… for a … class rating shall complete a training course at an ATO. …’. FCL.725(b) states that an applicant ‘ … for … a class rating shall pass a theoretical knowledge examination ….’. FCL.725(b)(3) states that the theoretical knowledge examination for a single engine aircraft shall be conducted verbally by the examiner during the skill test. FCL.725(c) states that an applicant ‘ … for a .. class rating shall pass a skill test …’. The second paragraph thereto sets out the time limits for completion of the training and applying for the rating.

Once a pilot has a licence with both SEP(Land) and TMG ratings that are valid in it, he/she may then take of advantage of the revalidation requirements set out in point FCL.740.A(b) to use experience gained in either class to maintain the validity of both ratings. This does not apply to renewing the ratings if either or both cease to be valid. If either or both ratings need to be renewed, then the requirements set out in point FCL.740 (note: this is not the same as FCL.740.A) must be met in the class rating the pilot wishes to renew.

Yours sincerely

Licensing and Training Policy
Safety and Airspace Regulation Group
United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority

Whopity
5th Nov 2013, 07:38
CAP 804 Section 4 Part H, Subpart 1 Page 1

FCL.705 Privileges of the holder of a class or type rating
The privileges of the holder of a class or type rating are to act as pilot on the class or
type of aeroplane specified in the rating. So unless you have the class rating you cannot exercise the privileges.
Finding an examiner is difficult, but finding an approved course is impossible!

kestrel539
5th Nov 2013, 08:23
There is a sneaky way around all this, at least until April 2015.
Apply for the NPPL(A) on the back of your PPL.
You can then do difference training for the SLMG, and gain a NPPL(SLMG).
No examiner needed.
Paperwork costs <£200

Prop swinger
5th Nov 2013, 08:26
M52, you should still be able to get an NPPL(SLMG) & then turn that into a TMG rating on your EASA licence. Licences, ratings & privileges gained before the end of the derogation period should be convertable to their EASA equivalents. Until the BGA become an ATO, the aforementioned Oxfordshire Sportflying (http://www.enstoneaerodrome.co.uk/aboutus.htm) may be the only place in the country where you can add a TMG directly to an EASA licence.

(The CAA used to allow UK PPL & JAR PPL holders to fly TMGs after passing a check flight. You couldn't use the hours towards revalidation without having the actual rating but you could at least fly them. EASA requires you to have the rating just to fly one.)

Whopity
5th Nov 2013, 17:00
Whatever you do you are still subject to Art 69
Maintenance of privileges of ratings specified in Sections 2 and 3 of Part B of Schedule 7
69 (1) Subject to paragraph (2), the holder of a United Kingdom Licence or a National Private
Pilot's Licence is not entitled to exercise the privileges of any rating specified in
Sections 2 or 3 of Part B of Schedule 7 which is included in the licence unless:
(a) the licence includes a certificate of revalidation for the rating; and
(b) the certificate is issued and valid in accordance with Section 3 of Part C of
Schedule 7.

Hitbacker
1st Apr 2014, 03:35
Hi,

other than Ray at OSF (mentioned in Novembre) also Shenington Gliding Club can get you the rating, contact them (CFI Phil) to find the details!

Cheers!