PDA

View Full Version : RAFSE(S)A 'Squippers Association'

Daddie Jaffa
4th Nov 2013, 13:25
Good Afternoon Everyone,
I am the current Chair of The RAF Survival Equipment (S) Assoc commonly known as the 'Squippers Association' -[RAFSE(S)A] as an Association we are a relatively new however we represent the RAF Trade both serving & veterans. The Associations Patron is Air Marshall P Sturley CB MBE (Rtrd).

Part of my role/job as Chair is to place on Record the Trades History (which there is very little) however as a Trade we have been providing ,maintaining & fitting all forms of Survival Equipment to Aircrew (RAF) passengers and survivors since 1926.

Therefore in an attempt to record our history we would like to hear from anyone who has a story to tell about us ( Good or Bad- Banter welcome) and to establish links with anyone who is either a member of the Goldfish , Caterpillar & Martin Baker Clubs or if you are just aircrew who have worked with us including those of you who were or are CSRO's/NBCO's.

The Association has a Newsletter and if you would like to contribute please contact me.

Lastly Our First Reunion Dinner will be held next year which it is our intention to invite 12 aircrew who have used our equipment to the dinner.

So Gentleman & Ladies let the banter commence.

Regards

Avtur
4th Nov 2013, 22:52
205 views and nearly 9 hours later with 0 replies; obviously stuck for words about a Squipper Assn.

Anyway, best of luck with it, even though my headset microphone still doesn't work.

Robert Cooper
5th Nov 2013, 00:40
I'm sure something will be forthcoming shortly :)

Bob C

Sandy Parts
5th Nov 2013, 11:52
The guys and girls in the section at Kinloss were always great adverts for the trade in my opinion. From 'extras' like popping out to the SAR jet with kit (which should have been picked up by us anyway....oops!), to manufacturing bags in all sorts of sizes, to sewing on the armfuls of badges worn by CXX, they routinely just 'got on with it'.
Having take part in many, many pool/sea drills over the years, I cannot once think of an item of kit serviced by them that failed to operate as intended - even the special drill dinghy always inflated upside down to facilitate the 'first man in the water, rights the dinghy' part of the exercise!
They must have had the patience of saints to deal with 13 smelly aircrew dumping a mountain of kit in their lovely clean section at the end of each trip - hopefully the odd packet of biscuits and doughnuts was some reward!
Never had to use their kit in real anger but I always felt confident that it was being looked after in the meantime. Good luck with the association and I hope a few of those who do owe your trade a great debt can make the dinner.

Daddie Jaffa
5th Nov 2013, 15:55
Sandy ,
thank you for your kind words regarding the the Squippers in your life. I must say I have sewn on 100's if not thousands of badges during my years in Flying Clothing with or with out velcro. The odd packet of Jaffa cakes or Hobnobs in thanks was always welcomed for those little jobs we did.

As for Dingy Drills well that was half the fun half charging the cylinders and putting empty ones on , not just as jape but to help you prepare for the real thing.
I once watched a group of aircrew feeling the side of the life jackets to find the ones without cylinders so they didn't get caught out. So I made sure next time the lads put on empty ones to thwart that little trick.

AVTUR - Sorry I can't help with you faulty Mic .

Wullie the Mod
8th Nov 2015, 12:08
Just posting the fact that I was a happy 'Squipper' for 9 years, being stationed firstly at RAFCAW Manby, then to RAF Tengah Singapore, then to RAF Leuchars. In between, being detached to Kuantan Malaya and on to Exercise Air Boon Choo Thailand and a free 'jolly' to Gibraltar with Spec. N Course at Strubby.

brokenlink
10th Nov 2015, 13:49
DJ used to work within the SA for AES at Wyton, will pass on the info to a couple of ex members.
Good luck.
BL

Tashengurt
11th Nov 2015, 10:16
Good to see the association getting some exposure during the Cenotaph parade as well. Well done DJ. You managed not to dribble on Sophie too!

Rossian
11th Nov 2015, 14:56
.......the person known as "stitchbitch"in these hallowed halls would want to be there.

The Ancient Mariner