PDA

View Full Version : ARO & WSO salaries around Aust

tomcat264
3rd Nov 2013, 22:57
Im curious to know the salaries & wages of safety reporting officers & works safety officers at airports around Aust SYD, MEL, ADL, PER, DRW, BNE

YPJT
4th Nov 2013, 01:29
From what I know, around $80k at major airports seems to be a ballpark figure.
If you are lucky to score a gig on a mining company owned airport it will probably be anything from 20 - 30 k more.

falconx
4th Nov 2013, 03:47
MEL - WSO $55, ARO $80+
SYD - WSO, $60K, ARO $90K

Mining field $100+

vee1-rotate
4th Nov 2013, 06:10
MEL - WSO $55, ARO $80+
SYD - WSO, $60K, ARO $90K

Mining field $100+

Not sure how you come to this conclusion as all MEL WSO's are employed on a casual basis and hours fluctuate quite a bit.

falconx
4th Nov 2013, 07:03
Are you sure about that?

vee1-rotate
4th Nov 2013, 10:53
Very sure.

falconx
4th Nov 2013, 10:59
Better check hey

TOUCH-AND-GO
4th Nov 2013, 12:33
ML WSO's are employed on casual basis. Hours very from 40-60 hours fortnightly.
I remember during our busier periods we were working 60 hours +.
I think 50-55k is on the ball :ok:

T&G

dreamer84
5th Nov 2013, 10:24
Very optimistic re $100K+ on mining aerodromes.

Most mine-site ARO's are employed by facility management companies like Sodexho and ESS, and in between strip inspections they can be found cleaning dongas or washing dishes. Even on a 2:1 roster they very rarely make above $85K.

Aerodrome Managers on mine-sites can make circa $100K but the majority of mining strips, even certified aerodromes, employ their aerodrome managers/ARO's as 'utilities.' (Inspect runway, load bags, clean donga....)

Many misconceptions around about salaries on mine-sites and that is one of them.

YPJT
5th Nov 2013, 11:32
Dreamer,
Agree that a lot of sites use the likes of ESS, Sodexo etc. A lot of the bigger players though like RTIO, BHP, FMG actually employ experienced people to run their airports rather than someone who will go back to making beds or washing dishes 30 mins after departure.

The ground handling function is remaining with the service companies. however airport operators are starting to learn that employing a bare assed ARO to look after their principle asset that gets all their staff in and out is maybe not a very wise choice. Especially when the NCNs start turning up on the GMs desk.

Paragraph377
5th Nov 2013, 12:29
I would imagine that if remote ARO's at certified aerodromes are dish washers then I am surprised the NCN's haven't been rolling in? Then again CASA inspectors prefer to 'surveil' the mainline airports as they are usually located near better accommodation, better locations for golf and a good perve, better restaurants and they earn better frequent flyer points.

YPJT
5th Nov 2013, 22:03
377, those comments whilst mildly amusing are totally incorrect. The CASA aerodrome inspectors have a requirement to maintain surveillance on all certified airports regardless of proximity to comfy hotels or being serviced by preferred RPT carriers.
The fact is though, that just like everyone else, they too have budgetary constraints that may preclude them going to every airport, every year. Much like FOIs who maybe miss an audit on a charter or training operation. The squeaky wheel, or one that has a few NCNs on the books will be their focus of attention.

Paragraph377
6th Nov 2013, 02:27
There is nothing amusing about taxpayer money getting blown, and incorrect I am not. Each field office has its own 'system' for making CASA work for you, not you working for CASA. Each employee gets to keep any accumulated frequent flyer points, hence the manipulation of the system. There is an old saying within the sleepy hollow; 'regulation by accumulation' (of points).
Your comment confirms you either work for CASA or only know one or two inspectors, you certainly are blind to how the system works, and that's not a criticism mate, don't get me wrong, but on this occasion you are a touch off the pace that's all.

YPJT
6th Nov 2013, 03:11
We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. But for the record, I don't work for CASA (couldn't handle the pay cut) and I do know quite a few more than one or two AD and FO inspectors.

bankrunner
6th Nov 2013, 03:11
Nobody at CASA (or any other federal government agency) gets to keep any frequent flyer points from government travel. Most agencies never allowed it in the first place, and for those that did an end was put it that years ago.

http://www.finance.gov.au/procurement/travel-and-related-services/docs/WoG-Travel-Fact-Sheet.pdf

Paragraph377
6th Nov 2013, 05:47
Bankrunner, sorry mate but regardless of the link you have posted you are 100% incorrect. CASA inspectors and executives keep all points accrued, well they did up until at least up until 12 months ago anyway. I know this for absolute fact.
YPJT, the figures thrown around this thread for ARO's are between $50k to $100k approximately. CASA aerodrome inspectors earn between $95 to $115k approximately. Team leaders etc can earn up to $140k. This excludes super of around 15.75%, 5 weeks annual leave, the additional week shutdown over Xmas and travel expenses and cash allowance of around $130 per day.

If you boys really do know some aerodrome inspectors I think you will be surprised at their answer to these figures I provided. That answer is correct.
So I am not sure how one would be taking a pay cut by joining the Regulator?

YPJT
6th Nov 2013, 07:19
At the risk of turning this into a p1ssing comp. yup still a pay cut. You seem to assume I am an ARO.

Paragraph377
6th Nov 2013, 08:22
Hi YPJT, no pissing contest mate, all good. Just sharing some info etc.
As we were......

YPJT
6th Nov 2013, 12:04
Yes mate, nothing wrong with a bit of robust discussion.

From my experience with CASA inspectors and what they have told me is that the screws have certainly tightened on their travel entitlements.
It is usually me pulling out the company credit card for dinner or drinks rather than them saying "Kevin/Julia/Kevin/Tony is paying". One guy I am meeting in USA next year is having difficulty aligning a planned work trip with his holidays. There is a chance he may be forced to fly home and then pay his own airfare back again. That is just sheer bastardry for the sake of it.

Back to AROs / WSOs, great job, very satisfying especially if you can get it with the right outfit. Keep an eye on seek.com. Quite often advertised there but personally, my advice is steer clear of the service companies like ESS, Sodexo, ISS, Toll etc. They will expect the world and not remunerate you appropriately for the level of responsibility.

tomcat264
8th Nov 2013, 05:57
It all kind of went off topic lol I just want to know what AROs are on in the capital cities not remote airfields or casa inspectors

ZAZ
8th Nov 2013, 19:10
Started in 2004 at $19 per hour and 4am starts
By 2012 500am starts I had gone to $29 per hour

Then some smart ass manager decided to pull a few lights out to check if I was doing my job and claimed that I missed seeing them.

I said to the guy what is next, go down town and pull a few traffic lights out to see if the road patrol are paying attention?
Then last Xmas he pulled the portable genset out and ran it in the rain and blew its fuses and the airline had to divert in the storm..

Then some guy in a homebuilt lost it on take off and wiped out our Visual Approach lights, and I spent two days in the rain mounting and realigning the system using second hand bits scrounged from another AD..

We are the unwashed, lazy, mow the grass and change the light bulbs and toilet rolls.

Phone number in ersa 24/7 with calls at 5am asking what time does the plane leave?

Spoke to my FA and he said with accrued leave and super leave now dont wait until July,
So I took my small fortune and ran..

I no longer work or care to work as an ARO.

$100K motels and perks,,
who earns that at any Ad in OZ?

The CEO?

I want his job.

2 cents.

code7600
2nd Mar 2015, 06:34
As of this week, $25.03 as a casual on Australias busiest Airport...

code7600
2nd Mar 2015, 06:49
What Award should they be on?

framer
2nd Mar 2015, 08:06
$25 an hour?
I was talking to one of the hotel staff in Melbourne who spends a lot of her day loading sheets in and out of washing machines and she was on about the same.
Crazy .

The Wawa Zone
3rd Mar 2015, 01:52
And the Contract Cleaner's award will have you up to about $30/hr if you are working nights and traveling between jobs.

ARO on what ? Thats because you are not unionised along with the majority of other people !

I'd expect, though, that the $ is more if in a remote area. ?

ContactMeNow
4th Mar 2015, 02:06
Don't know about city airport AROs. But most FIFO/mining ARO's can expect to earn $95k-$130k a year doing either 8/6, 7/7 or 5/2/4/3 roster.

ISS, ESS, Sodexo mainly do 2/1 rosters earning $65-$80k a year.

Main issue with getting a catering company to manage your airport - the NCNs!!! Just because you have done an ARO course and have been with the company for so many years, doesn't mean you can actually manage an airport. Albeit, a small certified airport with a few charters a week.

CASA (in WA) are not huge fans of these catering companies doing the ARO work at airports. As they don't have any back office support, or their line manager is all about saving money. Rather than providing a safe service.

Most mining companies will not only offer even time rosters, but also 5-6 weeks annual leave

:ok:

code7600
19th Sep 2015, 06:09
We got a pay rise.... $25.40 per hour.

ralph1
26th May 2017, 20:07
Any movement on the pay scale. I am looking at doing an ARO course soon and have been told by the trainer that you can get around 90k + OT at Brisbane.

717tech
27th May 2017, 04:05
I won't mention where, but apparently an ARO position at a fairly big RPT Airport was advertised for less than $60k recently.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
27th May 2017, 12:57
An Aerodrome Reporting Officer (ARO) is a nominated position approved by CASA. It basically just the person responsible for providing CASA/AsA with the up to date status of the Airport. Outside of those functions, you do what ever else your employer wants you to do, if anything. The ARO can be the refueller, the local Flying instructor etc. It depends on the size of the airport. It's a lot different to the Safety Officer/Operations Officer on an major airport. The ARO functions are just a small part of their job.

PS Don't believe everything a trainer tells you :)