PDA

View Full Version : US green card

wingslikehercules
3rd Nov 2013, 08:50
Hey rotorheads,
i realize the only way to permanently live in america is to get sponsored by a company. this is obviously very difficult until you are very skilled at your trade (no new cfi's). however if a pilot gained several thousand hours, would they be able to get sponsored by an american company do you think? seeing the lack of experienced pilots, it might be worth the companies time?
thanks

Bravo73
3rd Nov 2013, 09:34
It would be easier to find an American girl/boy and marry them.

Fun Police
3rd Nov 2013, 10:18
that's what i did (still married too!)

for a kiwi, i think your chances would be better if you tried the neighbour to the north. lots of opportunities for someone with some experience.

fp

jeepys
3rd Nov 2013, 12:29
Is there a lack of experienced pilots in the U.S. then?

heloguy412
3rd Nov 2013, 13:33
What I was told when I enquired was that the US does not differentiate between a VFR R44 driver and a multi engine IFR jockey. They are all helo pilots and therefore there isn't a shortage.:ugh:

fijdor
3rd Nov 2013, 13:53
What I was told when I enquired was that the US does not differentiate between a VFR R44 driver and a multi engine IFR jockey

Yes but up to 12500 lbs, after that you need a Type Rating on that particular aircraft ex: S61, B214ST etc.

or a kiwi, i think your chances would be better if you tried the neighbour to the north. lots of opportunities for someone with some experience.

Plenty of experience Pilots right now up North and not enough jobs to keep them flying. Companies are shutting down from lack of work.

JD

Fun Police
3rd Nov 2013, 20:15
yes, the industry is slower right now but it is a cyclical business and we all know that. there is enough to keep most of the people i know working.
fp

Shawn Coyle
3rd Nov 2013, 21:46
I've done some work for immigration lawyers working to get helicopter pilots into the US.
If you want a good immigration lawyer with experience on these matters, PM me, and I'd be glad to put you in touch with them.

jeepys
4th Nov 2013, 02:15
The reason for my earlier reply was that about 15 years ago everyone was telling me that due to an abundance of ex Vietnam pilots soon to retire there was going to soon be a vast shortage of helo drivers. Meanwhile on the other side of the pond the North Sea was apparently going to have loads of vacancies as there was soon to be a mass exodus of old crusty N. Sea captains retiring.

I don't think either of these has really happened so don't get too excited about what people may say or think.

Yes there have been recruitment drives over the years but these have been due to the upturn in work rather than the reduction in pilots.

As for experienced pilots, well, what do you class as experienced. Is a 3000hr R22 jockey who has spent 2500 hrs instructing locally experienced? On the other hand what is the experience level of a 2500hr MEIR pilot? Depends on what job the person is being hired for.

wingslikehercules
4th Nov 2013, 03:04
Hi again, thanks for the replies. i am a uk and nz citizen so if i worked for bristow uk for a period of time could i easily transfer to their operation if the gulf of mexico?

industry insider
4th Nov 2013, 04:53
No, not easily.

You would need work rights in the USA or alternatively it would be complex and costly for any company to complete the immigration process for you to transfer. You would need unique skills to make it worthwhile and even the. You would probably start as a co pilot due to the Union rules regarding seniority etc.

In any event, you would have to get a job with Bristow UK first and meet their hiring criteria.

imuney
4th Nov 2013, 05:00
The short answer is NO! For the same reason an US citizen can not easily transfer to their UK operation. It's called a work permit / authorization!

Gordy
4th Nov 2013, 15:13
Just like imuney stated, it is NOT going to happen unless you have some exceptional skills that cannot be found in the US work force, and I do not even know what that would be.

hillberg
4th Nov 2013, 19:11
Screw the USCIS Just come in illegal & they will give you everything you want- Try it following the "rules" & you'll get screwed red white & bloody blue.

Got Documents held up with every turn, Been there Done that for nothing!

Screw the damn Cubical F'en Hamsters.

Hopadopter
4th Nov 2013, 19:55
Thats an interesting point of view Hillberg, but I doubt if there are too many illegal immigrants in the US working as professional Helicopter pilots.

hillberg
4th Nov 2013, 23:32
Only their boss knows. Our Guberment cubical hamster will see to it.