PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation of flying school in Australia and New Zealand

NovemberWhiskyLima
3rd Nov 2013, 06:18
Dear all,

Strangely I had a previous post regarding this issue deleted without knowing why, just when I was getting good advice. If this thread will be deleted, please moderators at least tell me why.

I am looking for a flight school to do a self-funded CPL course in Australia or New Zealand with a hope to fly professionally. I have done my due research but found reviews to be sparse regarding the schools. Therefore I would like to get some advice on the schools in these countries.

My queries are:

1) Where would you recommend going, Australia or New Zealand? Why?

2) Which school would you recommend and why?

3) What is the total cost that I would incur? Please advise on the course including additional ratings because -

I understand the hours accumulated on a CPL licence would not be sufficient to be employed by a major airline and I am prepared to take an instructor rating or the likes to accumulate my hours.

4) How would you recommend I go about with the flying hours?

5) Any advice on other costs I would incur such as living expenses?

Some information about me:

I am a 30 year old Singaporean who is currently gainfully employed. I did some flying with an instructor before but that was more than I decade ago so therefore I'm basically starting from zero. I am looking to start my training in 2015 so that I have some time to accumulate some money as well as fulfil my current job obligations. My eventual aim is work in an airline.

mattyj
3rd Nov 2013, 10:22
Go to New Zealand as the CASA rules bear no relationship to reality or any other ICAO bodies regulations.

It will be cheaper in NZ to train because of the value of the kiwi peso..how much depends on you and your ability to quickly learn.

Avoid schools that require you to participate in a degree or diploma as those are designed to extract extra money for the school and prolong your training time.

If you want to get into SIA why don't you try their ab-initio program

PLovett
3rd Nov 2013, 10:24
NWL, the first thing about being a pilot is learning to read and be aware....like the big sticky at the top of this forum about posts concerning flight schools.