PDA

View Full Version : comms failure

gengen
2nd Nov 2013, 20:51
If you have a complete comms failure we all know to squawk 7600 and not enter controlled airspace. What is the situation with an ATZ around a controlled airfield (with tower/approach/radar control) that is not in controlled airspace. Could I enter the ATZ to land even though it is classed as controlled airspace, or would I have to divert miles away to find an airfield with an information/ radio only service. Advice please.

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Nov 2013, 21:56
If you have PPR / are expected flightplanned, continue as planned. My normal practice would be an overhead join so that I can get a good look at the signal square, then follow the standard published (if there is one) or overhead join procedure.

If I wasn't expected then it would be a judgment call. If it's the only sensible airport for where I am, I'd do the same. If there's an alternative that I know is close by, reasonably quiet, and has no controlled airspace, I'd probably divert there.

Either way, then park, tie down, and straight to tower / ops, to explain myself and apologise for any problems caused. Also whilst in the vicinity of the airfield or any VRPs, the best lookout you've ever done in your life. Also fly the most obvious and predictable routings available to you - so that anybody else has the best chance of guessing correctly what you'll do next.

G

Big Pistons Forever
2nd Nov 2013, 22:03
Assuming you are a student I can't answer the specifics about the UK but I do have a related point.

Flight schools talk a lot about Comm failure procedures but the best way to deal with a comm failure is to get comms back, an area that flightschools do not seem to spend a lot of time on.

This is what I teach. Steps to follow if you think you have a comm failure.

1) Most comm problems are caused by inadvertently turning down the volume. The easy way to check the volume level at any time is to turn off the squelch (For King/Garmin you push the volume knob in). You can adjust the volume by the level of static you hear.

2) If you hear nothing give the head set plugs a good shove as sometimes the cord can get caught and partially pull them out. While you are at it give the radio itself a good shove into the panel as sometimes they will wiggle out of their rack connectors. Also if the radios suddenly go totally dead right after you have made a transmission, you may have a stuck mike (you will see the "tx" light on even though you are not pushing the Push to talk switch), so give the push to talk switch a good wiggle

3) If the volume was OK then check the audio panel and frequency selection and if all correct switch to the other radio, if fitted.

4) Try another transmission and look for the "tx" light on the radio. If it does not come on you are not getting out.

5) In the event of the case at step 4 go to the hand mike or swap your head set to the other side ( note in this case you will also have to use the press to transmit button on the other side control wheel as well).

If none of that works then you probably really do have a comm failure and you should go ahead and squawk 7600.

If you are going to a non controlled airport with no comms I would also suggest you call the radio operator on your cell phone and give him/her a heads up

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Nov 2013, 22:29
Very valid points about clearing the comms problem, but picking up on one point...

I would also suggest you call the radio operator on your cell phone and give him/her a heads up

I'm always a bit cautious about doing that, similarly with handheld radios. Mucking about with handheld stuff in the cockpit detracts significantly from the flying task, and in particular from lookout. If I was going somewhere fairly quiet, I'd really not bother doing this and just concentrate on my flying and navigation.

If it was busy, I'd stay clear and make that call - assuming I can be heard over the cockpit noise. Then head into the busy airspace once the phone was off and no longer a factor in my flying.

G

Big Pistons Forever
2nd Nov 2013, 22:53
G of E

Good point. Fly the aircraft first and aircraft have been operating NORDO since the dawn of flying so it is no big deal.

However we do have technology that did not exist when the flying school texts were written so it is IMO appropriate to use it when it will not detract from the imperatives of maintaining control of the aircraft, maintaining a proper lookout and maintaining positional awareness.

I heard a story about a local guy who had comm failure in IMC recently. He had the IFR center number on speed dial and with his blue tooth Bose headset sync'd to his phone it was like calling from his house. Center kept the line opened and he was fitted into the standard arrival with exactly no effect on all the other traffic. ATC was most appreciative as in a traditional comm fail scenario they would have had to clear all the altitudes which would caused a significant disruption to the airline traffic in the area.

The irony was he did not even have to write down the clearances because the ATC supervisor backed up the verbal instructions with text messages:cool:

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Nov 2013, 09:46
Technology can certainly be your friend - that is pretty impressive.

But I think, particularly in VFR, people get overly worked up about the dangers of flying non-radio. As you say, we've been doing it for over a century, many people still do, and they're not (usually) having accidents because of it.

G

gengen
3rd Nov 2013, 09:57
Thanks for the input. Hi Big Pistons F, another thing to check for with a comms failure is the lead from the yolk to the bottom of the dash, facilitating the PTT. Ive had 3 comms failures over the years, one was a stuck PTT that turned out to be a lose connection in the jack on the end of said lead, all it needed was a wiggle. The others were complete failure IFR in an airway in a Seneca which turned out the selector box had wriggled out of the stack a couple of mm and the third box 1 failed and i had no box 2. So 2 out of 3 were rectifiable in the air. I was just theoretically wondering what the procedure was approaching a tower controlled airfield not in a control zone.