PDA

View Full Version : Can't scan or photocopy license?

Lost pilot
2nd Nov 2013, 00:29
I just received my new EASA ATPL in the post (instead of the old JAA license), and apparently can't scan it! I like to have .pdf copies of all my licenses and certificates to simplify job applications, but when I try to scan this license, it seems to have security layers that make it unreadable...

Has anyone else run into this problem?

S-Works
2nd Nov 2013, 07:43
Scan it as black and white.

Pilot.Lyons
2nd Nov 2013, 08:17
I managed to do a copy of my EASA PPL A but thats obviously different

Capetonian
2nd Nov 2013, 09:19
I had this problem with a document I hold. The solution was (low tech) to take a photograph of it, download the photograph to the computer, and then either keep it as a .jpg, or if you want it as a .pdf, use the 'snip' function in Windows, copy and paste that into a Word or Powerpoint, and then save that as a .pdf.

Sir Niall Dementia
2nd Nov 2013, 14:51
Lost;

We have to keep copies of all our pilot's details (licences, medicals etc) and we scan them without any bother. I've just changed from JAR ATPL to EASA and scanned them on the Konica machine in my office without any trouble.

SND

Shunter
2nd Nov 2013, 17:07
A lot (and I mean A LOT) of copiers collude in a somewhat unknown practice of refusing to scan/copy certain documents. This is because bank notes and other documents have what's called "EURion constellations" of yellow dots on them which are barely visible to the naked eye but basically say "do not copy" to photocopiers etc. Check out a £20 note under a UV light and you'll see what I mean.

The inverse is true of most colour laser printers in that they will print out patterns of said yellow dots which give out all sorts of information. The patterns from some manufacturers have been largely decoded and contain a whole lot of stuff such as printer make/model, date/time printer etc etc. Same with the UV light; print out a blank sheet of paper and see what the pretty patterns look like. It's called steganography.

This has been going on for nearly 20 years.

englishal
2nd Nov 2013, 18:19
Scary!

Still in these days of smart phones, just photo it using your 8MP camera on the phone, email it to yourself, then convert to PDF etc... Photoing is so much easier than scanning, especially when you are trying to scan something of an odd size (like a logbook laid open)....

Shunter
2nd Nov 2013, 20:33
Totally agree. A camera (so far) quickly gets around this issue. I found it really weird the first time I saw a copier refuse to copy something, I can imaging the same is still true if you're not aware of it.

Whopity
3rd Nov 2013, 08:14
Epson scanner on a PC has no trouble copying it.

foxmoth
3rd Nov 2013, 17:43
Sim check last week, the FO had photocopied his new licence so he could then cut up the copy to put in the holder whilst keeping the original intact. No problem photocopying that he reported.